75 replies to this topic

#41 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:13 PM

Oh man. Tuesday I had to run my first scenario as lead. Got on scene and there was a female struck by a car. Multisystem trauma. Broken pelvis, broken tibfib, broken femur, broken radius/ulna, flail chest. I had one partner hold c-spine, one bagging her, while I was assessing. Honestly my mind just went blank and one of my partners had to pull me back into it because I completely forgot what was going on. After too much time was taken we lifted her with the scoop (thankfully I got commended for that) then up to the stretcher. However I did not get her pelvis stabilized, and she was showing signs of shock when we got baseline vitals and I didn't catch it until later, so blanket didn't go on until almost the end of the scenario.

Thursday was nothing special. We did a bunch of bandaging stuff. Good knowledge just nothing special to report from it. It was fun wrapping bandaging around each other.

• EMSWxSAR and BogdanKi like this

jK7bW4k.png?1

#42 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

That was quite the scenario.  We got our first taste of one in lab this week.  Fall from a second story on a construction site.  I was a part of a team of 3 that took part in it.  Did okay for our first one.

Had a first for our exam last week.  My test was one of four that were lost.  Haven't been notified yet that it was found, or what they plan on doing if they can't find it.

Here's hoping for a better week starting tomorrow.

• spaz926 likes this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#43 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:20 PM

Another week under my belt.

I ended up having to makeup the lost test.  Got 94 out of 99 total points on it.  I can live with that.  Got 96 out of 100 on Monday's test, so am currently sitting at 391 out of 400 total lecture points.  To pass lecture, I need 800 points, so almost there.

This weekend will be more study and workbook activities, with a diversion of assisting with an active shooter training exercise Sunday night.  That should be tons of fun.

Next week is Skills 2 exam in lab and will have my first clinical with a private ambulance company on Saturday, the 24th.

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#44 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

Got my CEVO 3/EVOC (Ambulance) patch in the mail today.  Not the coolest looking patch in my collection, but proud to have it.

Attached File  cevo patch.jpg   58.07KB   1 downloads

• DeathwatchDoc, pira114, Firerescue183 and 1 other like this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#45 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:33 PM

Let's see, last week had our Skills 2 test which included bleeding control/bandaging, splinting and O2 therapy.  Got signed off without issue, so had quite a few skills at my disposal for my clinical on Saturday.

Good news is I didn't have any issues with nausea during my 12 hour shift (ended up taking "Less Drowsy" Dramamine and wore Sea Bands).  Could've been that, or not doing all those crazy maneuvers we were practicing in EVOC.  Anyways, day got off to a rocky start.  I was pulled off of the first team that I was assigned to (and was jelling with them quite nicely).  The second crew I was assigned to was tired from an extended shift the night before, but on the bright side was an ALS crew.  We were able to get 3 of the 5 transports I need for the class.  1 chest pain, 1 stroke and 1 gallstone issue.  Got to work vitals, 12-lead, O2, medic assist with IV prep, spiking the bag, etc.  Was definitely good experience and hopefully will get my remaining 2 transports during my fire clinical in a few weeks.

Big exam tomorrow on 5 chapters...medical, cardiovascular, respiratory, neurological and GI/GU emergencies.

• Firerescue183 likes this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#46 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

Keep up the good work! EMT class has gotten a lot harder since I did it. Remember that even once you finish and get a certification that's only the beginning. Always learn from real-world experience, conferences, continuing education classes, and read books and magazines! Your patient's lives depend on you!

• EMSWxSAR and Firerescue183 like this

#47 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

That's the plan! I intend to upgrade to a Wilderness EMT and take classes like NAEMT's PHTLS, TECC, etc.

For last week's update:

Not much in the way of lab stuff other than practicing traction splints, backboarding, c-collar, and the KED.  Learned a mnemonic device for strapping someone in the KED.  "My Baby Looks Hot Tonight".  Middle, Bottom, Legs, Head and Top strap.

For lecture we're doing like 5 chapters a week now.  Pretty intense.  Got a lot of studying to do with a break, of-course, to take the kids out trick-or-treating.

Next week is going to be busy busy! 3 8-hour hospital clinicals on top of work and school.

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#48 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

This week has been tiring, but very rewarding. 

In lab we continued practicing with the KED, back-board and traction splint.  We are now in the teams that we will be performing our final in.  We're getting to see each others' strengths and weaknesses.  We pass or fail as a team.  It'll definitely be interesting.

In lecture we had a big exam and are now in the chapters on trauma.  Another big exam next week! Crunch time!

My clinicals this week were awesome.  Really enjoyed working in the emergency department at the local hospital.  A lot more than I actually thought I would.  I didn't get to do CPR, but did assist ventilations on a patient in respiratory arrest.  Got to practice a lot of skills like O2 therapy, 12-lead, etc.  I found out that I'm really good with patient care.  So, I'm definitely headed in the right direction.

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#49 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

Sounds like good times!

#50 Firerescue183

Firerescue183

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

So a quick update about my paramedic school journey...It has been a crazy month.  Between the fire station, clinicals, and school, I haven't had a day off in 24 days.  My clinicals lately have been very educational.  The link below is a call I went on on Halloween that ended up being a murder suicide.  The day after that I worked a code for 2 hours at a hospital clinical.  We got ROSC 12 different times.  She was in V-FIb, V-Tach, Sinus Rhythm, 1st Degree Heart Block, 3rd Degree Heart Block, PEA, and eventually Asystole.  From that single patient, I was able to get signed off on all of my medication administrations for the entire semester.  This semester ends on the 12th of December and then I only have one semester to go.  All it takes is everything.  I hope that you guys are still enjoying school and learning a ton!

http://www.koco.com/...6183968?src=app

• spaz926 likes this

#51 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:38 PM

I remember seeing that story on News Channel 4. Pretty shitty situation to have to go into man.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#52 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

Sounds like it has been very busy for you, Firerescue183. How are you doing after that call on Halloween?

This was the call I ran last week http://keyetv.com/ne...otorcycle-crash

He was presenting with hypertension, bradycardia, and irregular respirations (Cushing's Triad). It was my first trauma. Was very fast paced, but I liked it. Knowing exactly what I was supposed to do and being able to delegate what needed to be done.

Classes have been great. We just finished signing off all of our skills and had Tuesday to practice scenarios. 1 Dec is going to be our MCI training with another class. Will be a total of 27 students some patients some EMTs. I need to study up on my START.

Finished with all of my EMT clinical hours, just time to work on some BlackBoard assignments for the clinical course and I'll be completely done with it.

I completely forgot to update on this thread since I've been so damn busy.

I can't wait for the Paramedic program to start. :D

jK7bW4k.png?1

#53 Firerescue183

Firerescue183

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:27 PM

I remember seeing that story on News Channel 4. Pretty shitty situation to have to go into man.

It was pretty crazy.  She was still alive when we got there and it went downhill quick.  Made for an interesting afternoon.

#54 Firerescue183

Firerescue183

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

Sounds like it has been very busy for you, Firerescue183. How are you doing after that call on Halloween?

I can't wait for the Paramedic program to start. :D

Holding up well thank you for asking.  This is about the 15th shooting response I have been involved with in my career.  As far as starting up your Pmed program...Buckle up!  I am sure that you will do great though.  It is a lot of fun.  Your clinicals will most likely be the place where most of your actual learning will occur.  No better teacher than experience.  

• spaz926 likes this

#55 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:04 AM

Wow! Some interesting clinicals there! Finally finished all my clinicals, and am now buckling down for finals in two weeks.  Getting a late start in beginning scenarios in lab, so a bit disappointed about that, but hopefully they'll throw some good ones at us before the big final.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• spaz926 likes this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#56 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

MCI drills went pretty cool on Tuesday. We had about 12 patients and 12 EMTs each scenario. First scenario took a total of 57 minutes to complete. Second scenario (same scenario with groups switched and we had a short talk about what we did right and what we did wrong on the first scenario) took only 39 minutes to complete.

I was an EMT on the second scenario. Our Incident Commander had all incoming EMTs go straight to triage and once everybody was triaged we started work on treatment and transporting.

One big mistake we made was telling those who were able to walk to walk to the treatment area, so they showed up to the treatment area with no tags. One Pt who was able to walk went to treatment area and collapsed and we didn't know what category patient he was since he just showed up with no tag. Instructors told us the area to walk to should be in the triage area not the treatment area.

Other than that it went well. I enjoyed it.

Tonight is our module exam 5 in class. This will be the final module exam. The next two classes will be a practice NREMT written exam through FISDAP and the final exam will be the final day in class.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

jK7bW4k.png?1

#57 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:47 PM

Studying up for my lecture and lab final this week.  The end is in sight! Had some interesting scenarios that we've run through, not as many as I would've liked, but I'll report on those shortly after I get through the final.

Best of luck to the rest of you that are finishing up the semester.

• MightyP and pira114 like this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#58 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

Probably seems now that it went by pretty quick!
  • EMSWxSAR likes this

#59 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

Just finished my FISDAP practice NREMT today. Made a horrible grade on it. It's pretty discouraging considering they are supposedly written to mimic the NREMT written exam.

While I felt comfortable about the information I believe the way the exam was written really messed me up.

jK7bW4k.png?1

#60 randallhilton

randallhilton

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:23 AM

Got my CEVO 3/EVOC (Ambulance) patch in the mail today.  Not the coolest looking patch in my collection, but proud to have it.

attachicon.gifcevo patch.jpg

Check with your auto insurance company. That patch might be worth a discount.  It was good for 10% off mine.

• EMSWxSAR and spaz926 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: emt, medical, bls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users