75 replies to this topic

#61 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

Check with your auto insurance company. That patch might be worth a discount.  It was good for 10% off mine.

Wow. Now I wish my program would have offered this.  :sigh:

jK7bW4k.png?1

#62 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:54 AM

I forgot to give an update..

I passed my final exam with a 92% last Thursday. NREMT has my course completion information, and I'm just waiting for an Authorization to Test.

romkLHX.png

I need to study a little bit on a few sections for the national exam, but I feel comfortable nevertheless. 

• MightyP and EMSWxSAR like this

jK7bW4k.png?1

#63 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

All finished! I passed lab and lecture...just waiting on my grade for clinical to be posted.  Got all my skills signed off, completed the PCRs, etc...so shouldn't be any reason for me to have not passed that.  I have to wait until my certificate arrives in the mail (probably a couple of weeks) then I can sign up for the NREMT exam.  Exciting stuff!

Here are some of the scenarios we worked on:

• Called to the scene of a possible suicide.  After we arrived on scene we quickly realize that it was accidental strangulation during auto-erotic asphyxiation.
  • Called to the scene of an OD.  Suicidal note written upon the wall.  Needles all around the patient.  LE is called and quickly scans the area and determines to be an OD.  Go to assess the patient, lift up the blanket the patient was under and...gun.  Boom, we're all dead.  Lesson here was to have LE do a more thorough inspection.
  • Called to the scene of an unknown medical.  Patient complaining of a really bad headache.  Go through our medical assessment and can't really determine what is going on.  Opt to transport.  Turns out patient had been given a scrip for glasses but never had them filled.  Patient was reading the whole time we were on scene.  Lesson: don't overlook the obvious.
  • Called to the scene of an unknown medical.  No one answers the door.  Dispatch informs us that the line is still open, but no one is responding to them.  Some of the teams make entry via an unlocked window found on the premises, others chose not to.  I found the open window on our team and said we should use it...some members of my team didn't want to.  By the time we made a decision to make entry 10 mins had elapsed.  During that time dispatch kept giving us updates on the ETA for LE.  They wanted us to make entry, but to do so safely.  Identifying ourselves and definitely ensuring scene safety.
  • Called to the scene of a chest pain call.  No one answered on this one as well.  Found the front door unlocked.  Made entry (a lot quicker this time).  Found an elderly gentlemen in a tripod position.  Immediately began to focus on him.  Well...wrong.  Lesson on this one was don't get tunnel vision.  Although the gentleman had similar symptoms to what the call was about the real patient was his wife in the bedroom.  Apparently this was based on a real call.  We did the same thing that the responding team did on that one.  Wife was found dead 3 days later.

All in all I'm really happy with the course.  I wish we had a bunch more scenarios, but I did learn a lot.  I'm excited to use my new skills in the field.

• MightyP and spaz926 like this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#64 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

• Called to the scene of an OD.  Suicidal note written upon the wall.  Needles all around the patient.  LE is called and quickly scans the area and determines to be an OD.  Go to assess the patient, lift up the blanket the patient was under and...gun.  Boom, we're all dead.  Lesson here was to have LE do a more thorough inspection.

This must be in the NREMT curriculum because we had one like this. Former police officer, sister called about potential suicide. Got there he was obviously drunk with a large bottle of liquor next to him. Was writing notes. Found a few on the ground that confirmed he was wanting to kill himself and others. Found out from sister his partner was killed on the job and he was let go shortly after for showing up to work drunk. We talked him into going with us. He stood up, grabbed a gun, shot us all.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

jK7bW4k.png?1

#65 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

Wow...yeah, very similar to our scenario.

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#66 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

Wow. I never updated this. Passed my NREMT exam in December. Waiting on my state certification to come through.

Currently in my first semester of the paramedic program. 

• EMSWxSAR likes this

jK7bW4k.png?1

#67 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Congratulations! 

89BccLb.png

#68 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

Definitely congrats! I take my NREMT next Thursday.
  • MightyP and pira114 like this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#69 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

Definitely congrats! I take my NREMT next Thursday.

Good luck brother!

• EMSWxSAR likes this

89BccLb.png

#70 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Doc!

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#71 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

And to update everyone...I got the results back today.  I passed! :headbang:

• DeathwatchDoc, MightyP and pira114 like this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#72 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

Congrats!

• EMSWxSAR likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#73 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Congratulations Brother!

• EMSWxSAR likes this

89BccLb.png

#74 pira114

pira114