• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RA09

RA09

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:55 AM

I'm interested to hear input on what others (especially LEOs) are wearing during the winter months here.  I have long been a fan of Under Armor Cold Gear tops but never shelled out the money for the leggins.  I have always used standard long underwear bottoms until this year I found a generic (Weatherproof brand) set of cold gear "like" leggins for $10 at BJ's club of all places and they have actually been fantastic.I spend a large amount of my shift out of the car and walking/running around and am always looking for newer/better ways of keeping warm without adding bulk that will keep me out of the game.  I never wear a jacket so baselayer is important but many I've tried are too bulky.  Gloves are also an issue, baseball gloves year round for me but that can get chilly in the winter sometimes.Anyone have any improvements that have worked for them?
Posted Image

#2 Centurion

Centurion

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities Metro Area, MN

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

I hate wearing a jacket too while on duty and will only put it on when I have to. Right now at work, I wear an Under Armour Cold Gear crew neck shirt, then my uniform mock t, then my vest, and finally my uniform shirt. My year round duty gloves right now are a pair of Blackhawk stealth aviators. During the winter, I also carry a black fleece / nylon pair of Columbia winter gloves in my car if the Blackhawk ones won't cut it for warmth. I usually have either a black fleece beanie or a black knitted Under Armour watch cap. I also have a black Under Armour Cold Gear balaclava (if that's how you spell it /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_cool.gif) in my uniform jacket pocket for when I have to be out for extended periods and it's really cold. It's very thin / light and folds up nicely to fit in the pocket.
Posted Image

#3 Virius

Virius

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWaterford, WI

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

I'm not a LEO by any means but I definitely have to work out in the cold with my hands a lot, and for gloves my best experience is with Mechanix M-Pact gloves, they will run you around $30 a pop but they last forever and have nice knuckle protection. They are thin enough to have good mobility and they definitely keep my hands warm in above freezing temps, when it gets colder I have fleece gloves that I put over my M-Pact gloves so when I need the mobility I just take em off so I don't wreck the fleece with mud, oil, fuel, and whatever else fleece will be degraded by. Also when they get wet I just throw them on a car heating vent and I have had them dry under 5 minutes. All in all they are great gloves with good protection for the hands and semi warming capabilities.The gloves also work great in hot temperatures, I used them extensively in Iraq and they were soaked through with sweat and all I had to do was rinse them with water to get the salt out and hung them up next to my bunk and they were dry in about an hour or two.Glad this country has good officers working around the clock in all environments keeping the innocent safe.
Posted Image
"A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow." - William Tecumseh Sherman

#4 RA09

RA09

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:06 AM

I've seen the Mechanix gloves and may just try them the next time I have to buy gloves.  I currently use simple batters gloves for the mobility but they definitely lack in the warmth dept.  How are they for writing/small tasks?
Posted Image

#5 Virius

Virius

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWaterford, WI

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:24 AM

Actually I just bought a new pair of M-Pact gloves from the mechanix website and when I got the package I put them on to break them in and I was typing on the computer fairly easy without hitting a lot of keys. Not saying that you will be typing a lot with gloves on but I have written on notepads, typed in a PIN code and took apart an M4 with the same kind of gloves on. I wear gloves all the time because when I don't I always manage to cut my hand in some way. Also Mechanix has a program where if you send in an overseas picture (for the military people out there) you get 20% off of your purchase.
Posted Image
"A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow." - William Tecumseh Sherman

#6 Amos

Amos

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:28 AM

Cold Gear long underwear are the bomb! I wear them every day in the winter. PRicey yes, but I have had the same two pairs for five years. LAcross thinsulate boots for those crappy long callouts or heavy snow stand on the interstate directing traffic nights, otherwise Danner's. Arc'terxy base layer pants under my multicam for SRT. Black Diamond ski gloves for traffic control otherwise whatever has the least amount of holes at the time in my evergrowing pile of junk patrol gloves. I used the Under Armour balaclava for about a year and then switched to a brand called Hot Chilli's. It is a little more of a base layer. For upper, Cold Gear L/S shirt, a turtle neck (I know gay right?!), body armor and patrol shirt. I hate wearing a jacket unless I have no choice. It crumples up around my duty belt. Smartwool watch cap. Lots of kleenex for the snotsickles that melt when I get back in my car!RegardsAmos
Posted Image

#7 Jackel

Jackel

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

I have a set of U/A Cold Gear that I have been using for Duck Hunting in bone chilling, wet conditions for about five years now.  The stuff is incredible and wears like iron!  I have never found anything even close as good for cold weather. Jackel

#8 RA09

RA09

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:38 AM

I finally broke down and bought a pair with my uniform allowance this year.  I guess in a few months I'll know why everyone likes them so much.
Posted Image

#9 Screwby

Screwby

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

These are good things to hear...been circling the drain trying to convince myself that UA cold gear was worth it...maybe I'll have to giveit a try. Thanks for the reviews../wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif

#10 slvrwraith

slvrwraith

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

I'm not M/LE, in fact, for the next few years, I'm a broke-ass civil engineering student; but UA's cold gear line, I'll shell out for. I have one UA Cold Gear Metal Mock T-neck, and it is a life saver. It allows me to travel light to and from school, with just a fleece over it. I don't overheat in 200+ seat lecture halls or tight quarters labs, and living in the PacNW, its nice having a base layer that will continue to insulate when soaked, and not weigh a ton.I'm hoping to save up for another mock and a pair of leggings this year.
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png In darkness as in light, seek truth and flourish. --myselfA casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. --Friedrich Nietzsche

#11 flatfoot

flatfoot

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

U/A Cold Gear works real well on cold days up here. I've been using it since I started working extra duty jobs and sometimes if it is real cold I wear it when I am on patrol. I have the top and bottoms and I swear by it.
"If all men were just, there would be be no need of valor"           Spartan King Agesilaus

#12 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 947 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

My partner swears by the Cabela's Silk Crew underwear for the "brisk" weather.  He also talks about some down filled underwear for the really cold stuff, but I think he just likes the thought of being covered in goose carcasses.

Edited by CENTCOMSurvivor, 13 December 2010 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image

#13 RA09

RA09

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

I bit the bullet and bought the bottoms this season and so far (2 major snow storms already this year) have been pleased.  There is a fine line between keeping warm and keeping mobile.  I HATE coats and therefore layer like crazy.  I know UA used to have 3 different levels of cold gear but they must not have sold very well because they seem to have gone back to one "cold gear" product again. @CENTCOM, just out of curiosity, how cold is it getting there in the Tampa/St Pete area that you and your partner are discussing down filled underwear???  Up here in NE Ohio we are at 15 tonight with -4 wind chill.....
Posted Image

#14 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 947 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

RA09 said:

@CENTCOM, just out of curiosity, how cold is it getting there in the Tampa/St Pete area that you and your partner are discussing down filled underwear???  Up here in NE Ohio we are at 15 tonight with -4 wind chill.....

We had a barricaded subject last night and it was just above freezing with a nice wind going.  Standing out in that for 10 hours was not fun at all.  While that may seem like summer weather to some, its darn cold for us Florida folks haha.   15* sounds like a nightmare!
Posted Image

#15 RA09

RA09

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

Standing outside for that long for that run sucks regardless of the temp. Last winter I stood in a stack for about 2 hrs in 10 deg wind because some idiot knew he was going on his warrants so he threw a couple shots out the window, locked up tight and lit a joint while he waited on us. We showed him how annoyed we were, numb hands/noses and all.
Posted Image

#16 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I know I am a bit late to this cold party......I am a non cold weather hacker but in Oklahoma the wind will blow straight through you in the winter so I dont have a choice...Snow isnt all that common or regular...Ice, that another story.  But cold....yeah its common. I wear compression gear from Starter.  It works well enough with the jacket I wear. I can handle temps down to around 30 with some wind.  I usually wear a nice set of compression shorts in the winter to keep the "bits and pieces" warmer. We ended up finally getting some nice cold weather jackets from GERBER.  (no not the knife company)  The Blauer crap was outdated just was not warm enough. I wear a watch cap from County Comm that packs up nice and tight and is warm.I ended up with three different types of gloves.  all Mechanix.  work really well.
Posted Image Posted Image

#17 secondstoryguy

secondstoryguy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I worked as LE in the northern latitudes. I usually wore UA or a long sleeved thermals under a long sleeved uniform shirt with heavier weight uniform pants on the bottom, even when it got well below zero. I found that with armor, which is basically another layer, I stayed warm enough during general patrol duties. If I had to do it again I might go with fire resistant under layers for the piece of mind.

In general I steered away from jackets unless I was sitting on a traffic crash working traffic or other no risk activities. A jacket can severely limit your access to the tools on your belt and handicaps you if you have to go hands on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users