• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

I'm not sure if this warrants it's own topic or not, likely not. Basically, as well as being a Reserve Police Officer a few days a week and studying full time, I've been working in the outdoor industry selling gear. I had a solid knowledge of kit beforehand, though obviously with a tactical bias, but that's been solidified now from experience using, selling and discussing with colleagues, adventurers, reps, and professionals from all walks of life.

I know a lot of folks here have a pretty solid knowledge of what they use, need and like, however when buying a new piece of kit, the range can be pretty daunting, especially with so many companies vying against each other. Those that come from the military can also perhaps use some help converting what they used while in to what's available commercially, especially when the choices aren't so wide for those serving.

So... ...how would it be recieved if I wrote a primer on pretty much every level in the layering system, core to outer layers, in a 'for dummies' style, so when you need your next bit of kit you can really know what you're looking at, and what won't work for you. As well as this, I'll include details on how to keep it performing at it's best, and alternatives. Of course if you know your Gore Tex Pro N80P-X from your Hyvent 2.5L, you can skip to Down vs Synthetic insulation, but I think it would be useful.

What do you guys think? Interested?

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#2 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

By the way, even if the answer's no, I may write it up anyway out of sheer frustration of trying to convince folks that summerweight nyco trousers aren't suitable for ten degrees below freezing...

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

I am always willing to listen and learn... that is why I keep coming back to ITS hoping for new posts on the forums and completely abhor other forums. This place has some of the smartest and wisest (not always the same thing folks) I have come across concentrated in one community. Most of us are always in the learning mode same as I, always looking for the next trick or optimization or piece of kit or... and the story goes on. 

You are a very well spoken individual and I will be looking forward to whatever you write up. Not only will I be a passively waiting, if you need any editing or other help, let me know and I will see what I can do for you.

Would you be doing a long form forum post or something more formal and printed?

89BccLb.png

#4 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:53 PM

It will be a looooonng forum post, that I may continually improve, with pictures etc. Made a start now, hope it's going to be useful. Thought it could help the guys going into REI with ideas of PCU levels in their head.

Edit: Thank you for the offer, I may take you up on it, I think I'll try to drag it out and I'd like to add pictures, but I don't want to use someone elses, or model myself!

Edited by Corbs, 20 September 2015 - 04:01 PM.

• DeathwatchDoc likes this

#5 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

Looking forward to seeing it brother.

89BccLb.png

#6 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:54 PM

I enjoy your posts Corbs and gain a wealth of ideas and knowledge from them. I don't always post or comment cause sometimes I think the comment doesn't matter but rest assured they are read and absorbed and referred back too often. - looking forward to it.
  • Corbs likes this

#7 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

I'd be very interested. I've been "set" in my ways several times over the last couple decades. Until I learn something new, try something different, etc. Then I get unset, and it starts over.

Always room to learn more
  • Corbs likes this

#8 ffemtp

ffemtp

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:37 PM

Absolutely and please!

#9 decepticon1

decepticon1

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

It would be great to see your review here, but if you get really in depth with it, would it make a good ebook? By using the names of specific products, that might date your review, but perhaps that would just open the door for an update a few years from now, when newer materials come into play. There are many places where you can offer ebooks for sale these days. I could imagine that your gear review could be of interest far beyond the tactical crowd, perhaps to hunters, hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts, those who work outside in the elements, or even retailers who want their staff to be well educated on the products they sell.

Also, you might check with Brian or whoever here to be sure that you would retain the right to publish elsewhere something you write and post here. I only mention this because there was a big stink at another site I used to frequent, where several posters and the site owner disagreed on what exactly the Terms of Service they agreed to when registering for the site had to say about ownership of posted material. I am sure this site is perfectly fair, but you should probably know the specific situation before you put a lot of work into it.

#10 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 264 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Anyone who has his own custom bag designed and made has my ear! As someone who is trying to get more into hiking, I will be very interested in this!

#11 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

If I remember I'll add a bit of backpack stuff, but that may be worthy of another topic.

I'm currently unable to progress with it as my location's ISP automatically blocks ITS.

While I resolve that, any particular request for detail?

#12 HTEngineer

HTEngineer

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

I've always found REI to have it covered very well. I remember writing a response to the sleeping bag ratings post on ITS over in the Crew Leader board mostly because I can't have a more public opinion because of my job. Most of the stuff can be found at the "REI expert advice" page which is what has stopped me from writing about the topic and similar ones as well in the past. Well that and my job, family life, etc. The folks from REI know their stuff pretty well.

All of the upper end brands follow standard testing procedures and are comparable to one another if they publish their results, but many don't. Are you planning on getting into clothing thermal resistance, evaporation resistance, permeability, materials, and air layers or are you planing more of a "don't be an idiot and wear cotton when you work outside and it is cold (in case you get wet)"? Overall I think it would be great if people are confused on layering and fabric types, especially for those who work outdoors. I'd be happy to help if you need it, feel free to shoot me a PM.

#13 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:55 AM

I've always found REI to have it covered very well. I remember writing a response to the sleeping bag ratings post on ITS over in the Crew Leader board mostly because I can't have a more public opinion because of my job. Most of the stuff can be found at the "REI expert advice" page which is what has stopped me from writing about the topic and similar ones as well in the past. Well that and my job, family life, etc. The folks from REI know their stuff pretty well.

All of the upper end brands follow standard testing procedures and are comparable to one another if they publish their results, but many don't. Are you planning on getting into clothing thermal resistance, evaporation resistance, permeability, materials, and air layers or are you planing more of a "don't be an idiot and wear cotton when you work outside and it is cold (in case you get wet)"? Overall I think it would be great if people are confused on layering and fabric types, especially for those who work outdoors. I'd be happy to help if you need it, feel free to shoot me a PM.

It's going to be a pretty straight forward guide to layering, what to look for when purchasing each layer, and what many of the manufacturers names mean. I remember your post on sleeping bag ratings, it was very helpful. I may forward it to you before posting, but it keeps getting pushed back by life.

#14 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

llooking fwd to it brother!

EIu5PDO.png

#15 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog