6 replies to this topic

#1 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:15 PM

Last week during a stadium rehearsal for our H.S Marching band (i do band crew stuff) one of the other dads suffered a pretty serious gash in the ankle region ... he dropping quite a bit of blood and the school nurse was trying to administer a maxi pad to his ankle ... I pull out my kit rip it open and hand her the combat gauze. She looks at it ... puts it down .... picks it up and then eventually hands it back to me - all without saying a word ... all while the other dad is floored I have such a thing on me ... anyway, dumb story aside.

I've popped the seal on my kit... its the gen1 kit with a  SWAT-T TQ do I need to shuck it? or is the combat gauze still usable? the date on the thing gives me till mid next year. if its still serviceable, any ideas on how to reseal? 

Thanks gents.

#2 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

If you opened the package and exposed the gauze you need to replace it, otherwise id say you are fine. 

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

If all you did is open the vacuum bag the whole kit was in, you are good. If you opened the actual gauze pouch it needs replacing.

89BccLb.png

#4 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

To add, most nurses have no clue about such things. In accidents, they seem to fall out of trees, and there really is no emergency or trauma training included in the standard nursing curriculum. I realize this may come as a surprise to you.

How do I know?

Previous EMT-P, ER RN.

CrewLeaderSignature.png​

#5 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

To add, most nurses have no clue about such things. In accidents, they seem to fall out of trees, and there really is no emergency or trauma training included in the standard nursing curriculum. I realize this may come as a surprise to you.

How do I know?

Previous EMT-P, ER RN.

This was painfully obvious by the look on her face .... 

I figured I'd be ok, since I didnt open the actual gauze pouch. I just needed another opinion. Thanks guys!

#6 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

Now that you opened the vacuum sealed outer pouch, how well does it fit back in the bag?

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#7 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Now that you opened the vacuum sealed outer pouch, how well does it fit back in the bag?

Yup put contents back in and rolled it backup and stuffed it back in the sleeve. I am going to update to the TQ to the SOFTT-W soon, so hopefully it will still fit in the older sleeve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users