#1 xjmv

xjmv

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

Hey everyone!

I've been away from ITS for a little while, but I am back and looking for advices. I am looking to welcome a German Shepherd to the family. Dogs are not new to me, but still I look forward for your help.

This dog will be in contact with a cat and childrens but I also want to train Krieger (yes the name is already selected...) for SAR. We are going to visit the husbandry (Not certain about that English term) this weekend and then decide if we go forward or not with this one. However we plan to have the dog with us at spring.

So... What are the best training guide/videos you can suggest? Where can I find tacticool gear for the dog? What is interesting to know about GS?

- xJMV

Fight, Win, Prevail.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:20 PM

As in Algernop Krieger?

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:51 AM

Ummm, well, we have our very own expert right here. I'm sure he'll chime in, but look at the thread titled K9 for self defense (I think that was it)

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:56 AM

Here it is.

http://itstactical.c...irst-responder/

#5 xjmv

xjmv

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

As in Algernop Krieger?

Krieger as Warrior in German. Fun fact however about that comic.

Thanks.

- xJMV

Fight, Win, Prevail.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 decepticon1

decepticon1

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:09 PM

Ray Allen Manufacturing may have some gear that would interest you. rayallen.com

If you type in SAR at that site, you can see gear for that specialization.

Regarding integrating the dog with your family, it is important for everyone to understand that things that may be funny or cute for a 20 lb puppy can be annoying, destructive or dangerous for an adult dog, so discourage and break those habits when the dog is young.

Basic obedience is a great place to start. Many dog clubs and training facilities offer beginning and puppy obedience classes. IMO, do not send the dog away for obedience training. You need him to learn to obey you and anyone else in your family who is authorized to give him orders. You can send him away for specialized work, as long as you also go at some point, to learn how to handle him in his newly trained capacity. After he gets the basics mastered, be sure to take him to practice in distracting locations and around other dogs. He will need to know how to work in that type of environment.

#7 xjmv

xjmv

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:56 PM

Ray Allen Manufacturing may have some gear that would interest you. rayallen.com

If you type in SAR at that site, you can see gear for that specialization.

First place I found and have exactly the collar I wished for so long! Harness looks great also...

Regarding integrating the dog with your family, it is important for everyone to understand that things that may be funny or cute for a 20 lb puppy can be annoying, destructive or dangerous for an adult dog, so discourage and break those habits when the dog is young.

Basic obedience is a great place to start. Many dog clubs and training facilities offer beginning and puppy obedience classes. IMO, do not send the dog away for obedience training. You need him to learn to obey you and anyone else in your family who is authorized to give him orders. You can send him away for specialized work, as long as you also go at some point, to learn how to handle him in his newly trained capacity. After he gets the basics mastered, be sure to take him to practice in distracting locations and around other dogs. He will need to know how to work in that type of environment.

As said, not my first dog... Got a good background about how to train dogs and also have a great dog trainer to help when needed. However this is something that people need to know... Puppy on the couch or in the bed is funny... 100lbs dog might be less funny.

Thanks!

Edited by xjmv, 12 October 2015 - 08:57 PM.

- xJMV

Fight, Win, Prevail.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#8 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

Check out Combat K9 too, made by fighter design, cool stuff.

• xjmv likes this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dog, german shepherd, family, training, gear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users