• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 John4

John4

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

I have been debating carrying a neck knife for a really long time, but every time I'mabout to purchase one I end up saying "no".  I have been looking at the Boker Besh wedge and the Blackhawk neck knives but they just seem to long in my opinion to have dangling around my neck.  Is there anything smaller I can still get my big hands around that can also get the "job" done if needed?  How well does the sheath retain the knife after extended use? Share!What kind of neck knife do you wear? How well does it carry? etc.....

#2 Jester

Jester

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

The only knife I've carried for any long period of time is the Emerson La Griffe and it can be a VERY effective tool.  I've been wanting to pick up a ShivWorks Lil Loco. Lately, everything I've been wearing has been needing to be tucked in, so the Lil Loco would be perfect.  I do know a guy that carries a Blackhawk Kalista as a neck knife... But he's a little crazy.
Posted Image

#3 hcm004

hcm004

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

I've used a Hideaway Knife for a while now, and love it.  I replaced the ball chain with gutted 550 cord, and it works superbly.  It doesn't print, and is easy to grab.  The loop handle (for the first two fingers) really helps with retention, and allows your hand to do other things while holding it.  I think I may have mentioned it in another thread.  If there's interest, I'd be glad to post a review with pictures.

#4 John4

John4

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

I would like to see a picture or either a make and model if you could.

#5 Jester

Jester

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

If you're talking about the Hideaway Knife, go here: HideAwayKnife.com
Posted Image

#6 txsheepdog

txsheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

I'm liking those HideAway knives ... may have to add that to my collection
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

If I were to wear one it would have to be ultra light.  I am not too keen on necklaces.  If it weights more than a pair of dog tags, I prolly would not wear it.  Are there any Titanium ones?
Posted Image

#8 hcm004

hcm004

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Gentlemen, As requested, my HAK write-up is posted in the EDC forum.

#9 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

I was in the same boat as OP in that I wanted a neck knife, but couldn't justify it. At SHOT I looked.again and said no for two days. Then I found the TOPS knife booth and wandered in to look around and found their "key-B" neck knife. When I put it on I liked the way it hung and the weight to it, and for a donation to the wounded warrior fund it was mine. I've been wearing it for a week now and its a fun little blade. Definitely not a main knife to use due to its awkward way of getting it out and then putting it back but a tool for sure.Posted Image
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#10 papaswamp

papaswamp

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

Spyderco Caspian salt is handy and hangs nicely....plus in my environment of salt, sand and sweat..it doesn't rust.http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=288

#11 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

I never had a real urge to check out a neck knife but it's funny because Tactical Distributors just sent me one! [5.11 Boot Knife] It comes with a clip that screws on so you can make it a boot knife instead. Here are some pics:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 mattb0313

mattb0313

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

I carry a Benchmade Tether Knife as me neck knife. They went out of production in late 2009 but they are out there in new and gently new around the web. It is light and many time I forget it is there. It is the one knife that I never use for anything, all my other knives that I carry get used as letter openers, pry bars, whittling etc... but my neck knife i keep with a factory edge on it because its small and I want to ensure that if TSHTF then I have a sharp knife to deal with it. I normally carry between 3-5 knives as well as my pistol and am proficient in the use of all of them I also don't vary where or how I carry them so that they are where they are supposed to be if I need them.

#13 sixfix

sixfix

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:13 AM

I carry a Spartan Enyo. It's a bit heavier than I was comfortable with but after the first couple of days I didn't even notice the weight anymore. Now it feels odd if I'm not wearing it.

#14 gmg

gmg

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

Jester said:

The only knife I've carried for any long period of time is the Emerson La Griffe and it can be a VERY effective tool.  I've been wanting to pick up a ShivWorks Lil Loco. Lately, everything I've been wearing has been needing to be tucked in, so the Lil Loco would be perfect.  I do know a guy that carries a Blackhawk Kalista as a neck knife... But he's a little crazy.

That Sivworks is sweet
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/PlankOwnerSignature-Ver2.png

#15 Blade Stalker

Blade Stalker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

I always wear one on duty and it's small but useful.I use the "CRKT Ringer 3 Knife." You should also check out the "Doug Ritter's RSK Mk5 Knife."Now I use mine as a second chance knife, so you should ask yourself is this for defiance or utility? /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_smile.gif

#16 Blade Stalker

Blade Stalker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

mattb0313 said:

I carry a Benchmade Tether Knife as me neck knife. They went out of production in late 2009 but they are out there in new and gently new around the web. It is light and many time I forget it is there. It is the one knife that I never use for anything, all my other knives that I carry get used as letter openers, pry bars, whittling etc... but my neck knife i keep with a factory edge on it because its small and I want to ensure that if TSHTF then I have a sharp knife to deal with it. I normally carry between 3-5 knives as well as my pistol and am proficient in the use of all of them I also don't vary where or how I carry them so that they are where they are supposed to be if I need themikejulietpapa said:

I never had a real urge to check out a neck knife but it's funny because Tactical Distributors just sent me one! [5.11 Boot Knife] It comes with a clip that screws on so you can make it a boot knife instead. Here are some pics:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Now this is a great little knife! I use it as a boot knife with my 5.11 boots with built in sheaths, made for this knife. /wp-content/forum-smileys/smiley_evilGrin.gif

#17 Greg Whited

Greg Whited

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

Been carrying a Kershaw LDK (Last Ditch Knife) on my dog tag chain.  It can be used as a belt knife, or laced into your boot.  It is what it's called, a last ditch knife that most people won't know you are carrying.  A couple other deputies have bought one, and the local Border Patrol guys have been buying them up.  For $20-ish it's silly not to have something like this.

#18 John4

John4

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for all of the input and advice, I have yet to purchase a knife but haven't given up. 

#19 ACPmedic

ACPmedic

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Boker kiridashi. Small, sharp, effective. Not for mammoth hands though. I do also own a Blackhawk Kalista and tried carrying it as a neck knife, but it's a little too big for that. I have since rigged that one horizontally on a "paddle" which can clip to the small of the back. But yeah...the Boker kiridashi.

#20 LAPyroFighter

LAPyroFighter

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:39 AM

My Favorite "neck knife" is my S&W HRT Badge Knife.  It's extremely light and has a hell of a blade on it.  Since it's purely a self defense knife I prefer serrations rather than a plain edge.  I'm using it to cut and slash and if that blade ever becomes dull i'm up sh*t creek. I actually got it for I think $11 on eBay.  I also don't like the ball chain so I took a piece of paracord, gutted it, fed the ball chain through it and it's actually pretty nice now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users