24 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander Garbuz

Alexander Garbuz

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:31 PM

Wanted to ask what you guys have in your vehicle based medical kits.  I typically carry my normal travel medical kit in my trunk but I would like to know if there are certain vehicle specific items I should be getting.

Thank you all.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:09 PM

I've got an IFAK and an aircraft panel mounted kit from the military in my truck. IFAK has your basic IFAK stuff, dressings, TQ, quik clot, etc. Kit has gloves, EMT shears, bandages, antiseptic, etc.

I think I'm covered for first aid in case of a vehicle accident or violent encounter.

#3 Alexander Garbuz

Alexander Garbuz

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

Yep, I also always have my IFAK with me in my EDC backpack. I was thinking more towards car accidents and thing we might need in case we get into one. Maybe adding SAM splint, or instant ice packs. Looking for ideas. The weight and size if obviously less of an issue in case of a car based med kit.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:07 AM

Forgoing the training aspect, if you're looking to aid in multiple casualty accidents, think IFAK but more of it and you'll be good
  • MightyP and EMSWxSAR like this

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:14 AM

I have an ITS FatBoy mounted in my beemer and depending on the weather (Winter is coming) I'll also keep snow pants, sorel boots, a blanket and shovel in my trunk.

• Alexander Garbuz and littleninja like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#6 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hey everyone, its been a while since I've been on the forums. The last 2-3 months have been crazy busy. Anyway, I carry a big old EMT bag in my trunk. Here are some of the things in it off the top of my head:

• Assorted gauze (4x4, 2x2, rolls)
  • Oral Airways
  • BP Cuff and stethoscope
  • Various medications (aspirin, tylenol, benedryl, etc).
  • Ordinary band-aids
  • Trauma shears
  • Tourniquet
  • Ice Packs
  • Combat Gauze
  • Israeli Bandage
  • Medical Tape
  • Notepad & Pen
  • Medical Nitrile Gloves
  • Ace Wraps
  • Bulky trauma dressings
  • Space blanket
  • SAM splint
  • Triangle Bandages

I'm always on the lookout for new things to put in there.

• EMSWxSAR and Alexander Garbuz like this

#7 wwilkins

wwilkins

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:50 PM

Heavy duty leather gloves maybe worth some thought - I severely cut my had when I attempted to render aid at a 2 Car PIAA and had a set of normal shooting gloves on when I got cut.   Good gloves help prevent you from becoming injured yourself from glass or sharp metal.  Glass embedded in my knuckle left that hand pretty useless for first aid.  Gloves sit on top of the bag in the car now. 

• EMSWxSAR, pira114 and Alexander Garbuz like this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#8 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:03 PM

Heavy duty leather gloves maybe worth some thought - I severely cut my had when I attempted to render aid at a 2 Car PIAA and had a set of normal shooting gloves on when I got cut.   Good gloves help prevent you from becoming injured yourself from glass or sharp metal.  Glass embedded in my knuckle left that hand pretty useless for first aid.  Gloves sit on top of the bag in the car now.

Here we go. This is what I thought the thread was about. Vehicle specific items for a trauma kit. Heavy gloves make sense. But, how is your dexterity while using them?

The heavy gloves I keep in my trucks aren't part of my trauma kits. Hadn't really thought of it before, but I doubt I could use them while rendering aid. Just too bulky.
  • Alexander Garbuz likes this

#9 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

I would start with disposable gloves underneath and put the heavier gloves on top when doing debris removal.  Transition back to the disposables once it is safe to start rendering aid.

• Koopa, pira114 and Alexander Garbuz like this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#10 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

I would start with disposable gloves underneath and put the heavier gloves on top when doing debris removal.  Transition back to the disposables once it is safe to start rendering aid.

About the best plan I could see. I guess I always have heavy work gloves in the truck and just never thought of them as part of my trauma kit
  • EMSWxSAR and Alexander Garbuz like this

#11 Alexander Garbuz

Alexander Garbuz

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:30 PM

Look what I found

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZilgzdgpvN4

Edited by Alexander Garbuz, 31 October 2015 - 09:30 PM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#12 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

You have a valid question and Pira114 called it out, what's something that you'd want specifically for your vehicle? I don't think there is anything dealing specifically with medical stuff you want in your vehicle, unless you're talking an AED or litter. I think the better question might be what RESCUE equipment do you keep in your vehicle? Then you might include things like heavier gloves, fire extinguisher and a pry bar. I don't carry a pry bar, though I'm realizing it'd be good to add. 

In my car, I have a first aid kit (pictures below, booboo kit (not pictured), fire extinguisher, flashlights, multitool, tow strap, jumper cables, and what was my S&R go-bag (now my GHB). I no longer live someplace cold, so my extreme cold weather gear is now out and needs to be replaced with emergency hydration options (still deciding what exactly that means). I also want to create a decent vehicle repair/tool kit, but haven't gotten there.

IMG_20150526_1549092.jpg

IMG_20150525_2001532.jpg

IMG_20150526_1637342.jpg

And for the heavier gloves comment, I keep a pair of these in my glove box. They're designed specifically to be cut-resistant but retain more dexterity than leather gloves. I've used them at a couple different places and they're great. Won't prevent bloody knuckles like leather gloves, but are great a preventing cuts from sharp objects.

temporary.jpg 

• EMSWxSAR, pira114 and Alexander Garbuz like this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#13 Alexander Garbuz

Alexander Garbuz

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

Yes, I guess this is a correct way of asking. Just thought  I would check to see what others have in their vehicles and perhaps I will modify the contents of mine. This is what I currently have in mine. Will be making some modifications really soon.

ifak-components.jpg

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#14 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

emergency hydration options

I'm a fan of the water pouches similar to Capri sun pouches. Like these:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B00YYG1G8G

I also keep a Life Straw. There are better straws. I believe there's an article on one of the best on the ITS page. But I already had a Life Straw. I keep it with my ready bag in my car. But if I'm staying with the car, which is your most likely scenario, the pouches are awesome. And cheap.

When they get close to expiration, I order more and start using the existing ones for work, working out, and camping.

#15 Darth_BeZee

Darth_BeZee

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:02 PM

It's pricey but I may pick this up after my deployment and throw it in the trunk.

http://www.narescue....CN=478771D92BE7

Spelling or Grammar errors brought to you by alcohol or phone apps

#16 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:20 PM

It's pricey but I may pick this up after my deployment and throw it in the trunk.

http://www.narescue....CN=478771D92BE7

That's a decent kit brother. But for that coin, you could purchase twice that including a bigger bag.

I use Dark Angel and CTOMS for purchasing gear. For a pack, I happened to have had a 5.11 MOAB laying empty (cuz I hated it). It was perfect for a vehicle medic bag since I wouldn't likely be carrying it long distances.

For what you get in that kit, I bet you could duplicate it for half the price. Or buy more stuff for the same price. And spec it out to your training level and needs.

#17 wwilkins

wwilkins

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:42 PM

Here we go. This is what I thought the thread was about. Vehicle specific items for a trauma kit. Heavy gloves make sense. But, how is your dexterity while using them?

The heavy gloves I keep in my trucks aren't part of my trauma kits. Hadn't really thought of it before, but I doubt I could use them while rendering aid. Just too bulky.

Sorry, been working nights and just got a chance to jump back to this topic.  

You already hit on the strategy that I prefer to use, latex gloves under leather gloves to allow me to clear hazards, or cut seat belts, pull on damaged car doors or whatever until I can safely access a person or remove them to treat them on the shoulder of the road.  Now you can preserve PPE( Personal Protection Equip - i.e latex gloves ) before handling someone bleeding.  Not a lot guys carry a box of extra disposable gloves on them, so I try to keep that bio barrier protected.  NOT PC, but you just never know what people got.  Then the heavy leather glove come off, Latex gloves hopefully will still be intact and then I do the fine motor skills and tasks requiring full dexterity.    

Rural patrol area, I find myself at lot of accident scenes before local Vol Fire departments and I have had to learn to work alone until the help rallies to the call.   Hope it helps somebody.   Another quick idea, adjustable immobilization neck collar- cheap and I we use them on almost every major roll over accident.  That was the other gear specific item I have added to my personal and patrol car.   It frees up my hands to do other tasks, including use of the radio for status updates or call for specific help.  

Edited by wwilkins, 04 November 2015 - 08:02 PM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#18 Whyatt

Whyatt

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:02 PM

One item that I have not seen mention is an emergency blankets.

http://www.amazon.co...47908784&sr=1-1

During an crash or accident things like shock, or just being unprepared for the weather and cold, is just as much a threat as a sever bleed. These things can be bought by the dozen, giving out like candy, and has multiple uses. (blanket, shelter, signaling, covering corpse.).

One thing I learned in the ‘ghan is that a dude with a sever bleed, loss of limb, can still go hypothermic in the desert. We started caring these for just that reason.

#19 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

Scene marking is something else that should be considered in your vehicle kits. Flares, reflective pylons, high viz vest and the like go a long way from adding you to the causality list. Your own safety needs to be considered 100%.

I've also got maglites with the Baton covers as well. This was added to the kit after a training with the local helicopter ambulance service and what they would need to land on the highway.

I also highly second the above statement regarding shock treatment. I usually have several milar blankets stashed all over. Given that I live in Saskatchewan I also usually have a thicker wool blanket and a ranger poncho in vehicle as well. 

#20 Mr. Greene

Mr. Greene

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts
  • Locationaz

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:28 AM

i generally keep an IFAK in my door pocket and another in the center console so I can have access with either hand, added the second one after a very close friend was involved in a serious collision which basically ripped his left arm fro his body. and I keep a bag I got from North American Rescue in my trunk that i can grab with my rifle and other goodies if hike time happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users