• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smokeyrojito

smokeyrojito

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

I did some looking around and couldn't find any topics that covered this specificially. I am not sure if my situation is unique or not, but google seems to say so.

I am looking for a belt that I can wear with my pack without everything getting awkward. Pack is an eberlestock HalfTrack. I really don't want my pistol and my pistol mags/rifle mags and light and radio on the packs wasitbelt, but also dont want to lose the functionality of it.

I want a belt that can host this stuff without interfering with the pack. I want to be able to throw the belt on over my every day clothing, throw on the pack and go and have it be somewhat comfortable.

I don't want drop leg this or chest rig that.

Anybody out there ever find some kind of low profile duty belt that could be worn somewhat low and still be comfortable/accessible while wearing a pack of that size?

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:54 AM

I'm glad you brought this up because I will be ordering a Halftrack in spring. I have never been able to find that comfort zone with the waist belts on packs that don't interfere with gun belts/war belts.

That didn't help I'm sure, but I'm still looking, so if I find something, I'll post it.

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:38 AM

I forgot to add. My current solution to this problem is to stow my gun belt in my pack. Using a quick disconnect for my holster on my current pack's waist belt. So far, it seems to be the only solution. War belts and pack waist belts just don't seem to mix.

#4 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:53 AM

I am not familar with the half track I know on my Eberlestock Operator the waist belt is removable and you can actually insert an HSGI suregrip padded battle belt.  I will use that setup when I want to combine the two.  Unfortunately, I dont think what you want is practical as the packs waist strap ideally should be right around/on your hips the same location your EDC belt will be located meaning that if you are using both its going to get akward.  If your interested in interfacing a battle belt with the pack I can take some pictures of how I do it when I get home today. 

The closest I know of to a super low profile battle belt is the HTC http://highthreatcon...ile-system.html  I will warn you though they are quite proud of their system ( I still want it but doubt it will ever happen).

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#5 smokeyrojito

smokeyrojito

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Thank you Salty! Very interested in pics of your setup. My big problem is I just dont have enough room on the packs waistbelt for all my crap. I also don't want to wear my pistol and mags that high. I am kind of looking for a low profile belt I can wear lower on my hips. Then again, I might have the pack belt too high and need to adjust it. Pics would definetly help me quite a bit.

#6 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

This is just the scabbard off my pack as I am running it solo right now but the pack just zips onto the back of the scabbard so this should work:

Attached File  unnamed.jpg   37.21KB   1 downloads

Zip up the lumbar to expose the belt:

Attached File  unnamed-1.jpg   38.27KB   0 downloads

The belt is just velcroed in so pull it out exposing the velcro panel

Attached File  unnamed-2.jpg   57.3KB   0 downloads

Here is my 'battle belt' I added a piece of kydex w/ velcro on it to the belt using malice clips but this isn't really required just makes it more stable:

Attached File  unnamed-3.jpg   53.1KB   1 downloads

Pack with battle belt installed

Attached File  unnamed-4.jpg   67.35KB   1 downloads

• spenceman and VTStreet like this

#7 smokeyrojito

smokeyrojito

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

That looks like it will work. I could probably just get the HSGI sleeve that goes all the way out to the buckle to get more room. The big crappy part is that the half track lumbar is static. Have to thread the belt through. So no way to quickly separate or integrate as needed.

#8 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

That looks like it will work. I could probably just get the HSGI sleeve that goes all the way out to the buckle to get more room. The big crappy part is that the half track lumbar is static. Have to thread the belt through. So no way to quickly separate or integrate as needed.

I would definitely look at the whole suregrip padded belt as it has a built in stiffener that will aid in load bearing with the pack.

#9 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

I would definitely look at the whole suregrip padded belt as it has a built in stiffener that will aid in load bearing with the pack.

Wait I see what you are saying.  I would just get one that is sized appropriately for you because if you dont you will find the slits in the bottom that allow mounting direclty ot your betl (which is how my hoslter mounts) will be located in the wrong position.

#10 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

Wait I see what you are saying.  I would just get one that is sized appropriately for you because if you dont you will find the slits in the bottom that allow mounting direclty ot your betl (which is how my hoslter mounts) will be located in the wrong position.

agreed, but that being said there are holsters out there that can attach directly to the pals webbing like g-code

EIu5PDO.png

#11 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

agreed, but that being said there are holsters out there that can attach directly to the pals webbing like g-code

There are a lot that do although you will still want a drop down like you can see on my belt as the battle belt tends to ride high enough especially if its attached to a pack that it starts to make drawing awkward. And the best drop downs i have seen utilize the belt not the molle there may be something out there I just haven't seen it yet. 

#12 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

i need to post mine, but I do not have mine attatched to anything so I guess that can be scrutinized for what it is. I do like your pack though. it Would be good for my elk hunting trips where i have to hike 3-10 miles.

EIu5PDO.png

#13 VTStreet

VTStreet

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNE

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:47 AM

I have a half track as well as many other bags and have tested this concept a lot.  What I have found is the unfortunate truth that a larger style ruck sack/BOB/Hiking pack will always interfere with anything belt mounted.  This is why you don't see military ops running belt mounted equipment very often and even run drop leg holsters for sidearms( I know there are exceptions ).  Instead they load up heavy on their chest rigs/armor and of course their bags/rucks.  So you are left with really 3 main options:

Option 1 Like mentioned above drop the pistol down and remove all equipment from belt. Load up gear on chest and in bag.

Pros:

• Allows usage of top 4+ pockets of your pants as most battle belts/ belt mounted equipment blocks the usage of such pockets effectively
  • Weight is more on the shoulders and legs than on the hips.
  • Allows movements bending at the waist to be easier especially for those who like their beer.
  • Easier to see your equipment allowing for faster manipulation in stressful/lowlight situations.

Cons:

• Increases the height of a low prone especially if wearing armor.
  • If ruck/BOB is dropped to increase mobility 80% of equipment goes with it. (unless you get a dual pack design where a small pack detaches from the larger, Skycrane etc.)
  • Vehicle entry/evac can become a snag if you know what i mean.

Option 2 Load up a battle belt and chest rig and a smaller pack that attaches to plate carrier or chest rig but stays high enough to not interfere with the belt and mounted equipment.

Pros:

• Allows quick access to equipment mounted on belt line
  • increased load capacity even when BOB/Ruck is dropped
  • Allows free movement of legs (Big one for me hate leg mounted equipment)
  • Can help lower weight and profile of Chest mounted equipment

Cons:

• Even worse vehicle entry/evac
  • More weight on hips which prolonged can effect lower back.
  • Limits mobility of waist line
  • Can negate usage of upper pockets on pants.

Option 3 Build a kit that is in between and tailored to your specific use. Most people try to build a kit/ get a bag and then try to fill it.  Instead get together all the things that are absolutely necessary and then build your kit around that.  Keeping things mentioned above in mind.  Couple rules of thumb I use are.  Chest mounted equipment should be made up of only things you need "Right Now" meaning in a hurry.  All other things you have time to do put them in the bag.  If your living in the sticks for a prolong period of time then your ruck/pack is your most important piece of kit next to the cloths on your back.  It offers by far the most real estate of all the things you could carry.

P.S. Some IWB holsters can be used to effectively drop pistol below the cummerbund of a large pack which would also keep it off your leg if your one of those crazy guys that can't handle that.

#14 VTStreet

VTStreet

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNE

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

Sorry there was lot more info there than you asked for as my comp didn't allow me to see 90% of this topic till I posted :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users