• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Red_

_Red_

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

I am interested in making morale patches. What equipment and materials will I need?
I was thinking of staring simple with numbers, letters. Once I have the hang of it, I have some designs I'm eager to add to my patch collection.

#2 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

Do you have an embroidery machine? Or are you looking to do something other than stitched patches?

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

Also are you looking to do this as a business or just looking for a couple patches you haven't seen yet. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 _Red_

_Red_

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:55 PM

I do not have an embroidery machine. Where should I shop if I was in the market for one of those?
I have notebooks full of patch ideas I worked up overseas. If I could make some extra cash doing this I would.

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

I do not have an embroidery machine. Where should I shop if I was in the market for one of those?
I have notebooks full of patch ideas I worked up overseas. If I could make some extra cash doing this I would.

Ultimately you have a couple different options you could look into one of the many companies that do this already as it may be cheaper to have someone else make the patches then you resell them as the machinery to do this isn't cheap so you would have a fairly large cost to make up to offset your initial investment.  As for making them yourselves someone here may have some experience on the exact machines that would be best for it. 

#6 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

Patch game is on a down swing right now in my opinion. Instead of sinking a bunch of cash into machines and stuff, I'd get a few of your designs made by some of the companies out there and then market and distribute them yourself. Once you string a few successful sales together then decide whether to actually buy machines. If you have good stuff making a very small profit is doable, being Modern Arms or PDW is another.

Whatever you decide good luck.

#7 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:02 PM

I don't have experience actually making patches, only designing one. I would imagine that the initial investment is probably not going to pay for itself unless you are planning to sell them full time.

I would suggest creating your design and then sending it to a company like CustomPatches.net for production. They can make you one patch or thousands.

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

Some of the members here have tried taking a foray into custom patches and there doesn't seem to be any shortcuts.

You get what you pay for....

Vinyl printed patches appear to be the least expensive and in turn the least desirable and very 1 dimensional.

Embroidered patches require more work, adding cost, but you lose some detail but can add dimension.

PVC patches are popular right now but are the most expensive.

A couple customizing companies we've looked into (bare in mind, this is separate from the high quality patches sold by ITS) each had enough drawbacks to keep us from making the financial commitment.

I don't remember the source of our ITS patches, if I can track it down I'll let you know but they do great work but come at a cost.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#9 Akute

Akute

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:20 AM

Always wanted to make some cool patches. How much do embroidery machines usually cost? Or maybe there is somewhere you can send your designs. But I doubt they'll make them for you unless your order in bulk.

#10 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:29 AM

This is probably over the cap for a necropost as we try to avoid reviving old threads here on this forum but I see its your first post so welcome.

To answer your question there are companies who will make custom patches for you $7 for 1-3

try: http://www.mutinysho...go-patches.html

#11 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:03 AM

If you're involved in any organizations that have patches, talk to them. You might find some solid deals. Our local SAR chapter had patches made fairly cheaply since we had the local Health Region add them to an order they were putting in for EMS. Just a thought.

#12 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:38 AM

I would highly recommend against Mutiny Shop, they have a lot of bad reviews on the patch groups I belong to.

I've used custompatches.net to make 5 different patches. You can check out my site if you're interested in quality. Their pricing and turnaround are both pretty good in my opinion for someone getting started.

legacymoralelab.bigcartel.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Patches, Morale, Morale Patches, Velcro Patches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users