5 replies to this topic

#1 Augustinus

Augustinus

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Just wanted to say hello! I've been a Crewmember for over a year, never posted on the forum. I thought if I were to start participating, I ought to say hello.
I've been watching Bryan's videos on YouTube and have received some very valuable info.
I do have a gear question and I may have to post it elsewhere. I've heard great feedback regarding the Garmin 401. So I picked one up last week. I'd like to think that I'm, "smarter than the average bear" (I hope that my age isn't showing with that comment), but I am having a difficult time understanding its applicable value!
Am I to use it in conjunction with a topo map? I suppose since I'm so accustomed to using GPS with maps installed, I'm a bit "thick" with this concept. Maybe someone can enlighten me on some of the applicable uses. Thanks in advance.

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:55 PM

Welcome aboard!

Think of that GPS as a digital compas that you can interact with. If you use it like that, it should make more sense. And you'll get more use out of it when not trying to use it as a vehicle GPS like a Tom Tom.

To clarify, it's not going to give you routes. It's going to keep track of your routes and way points. It's a "don't get lost" type GPS. Mark your truck and you'll be able to get back to it if you get lost. Might not be the best route, but it'll keep you from going the wrong way.

It also seems to have a compass and back track feature if the route in is your desired route out.

I'm not clear on the Basecamp feature. I'll be looking more into this as I've been considering one. Good luck

Oh, and yes. Take a real map with you. Never go out without a real topo. Or at least a digital one. That way, you can see ahead if you need to go around an obstacle

Edited by pira114, 10 November 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#3 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

Welcome to the forum............

#4 Augustinus

Augustinus

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:55 PM

Pira114, thanks for the reply. That's what I have deduced from reading a vids that I've viewed. And yes, I always leave the house with a compass and hard copy map. I don't trust electronics, since when the balloon does go up, satellites will more than likely be disabled.

Happy Birthsay and Semper Fi to all of my fellow Marines.

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

Semper Fi!

#6 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member