9 replies to this topic

#1 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

So I'm a big fan of my Khard 30, and I have a short barreled rifle and shotgun that will each fit inside of it, despite that, I've never really made it a point to carry them. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the Khard 30 is just a little bit on the small side, so I have to be fairly picky about what I put in it (at least if I want to have room to pack my lunch). Second, is that everything else in the bagsnags the rifle making it impractical to employ any sort of long gun from the bag without completely unfolding the bag. Third and finally, the muzzle device on my shotgun would chew a hole right through my backpack and then my ass cheek and so on down to the ground. So this weekend I decided to remedy some of these problems. Unfortunately, my pack didn't magically turn into a Khard 45 over night, so it's still on the small side, but I did come up with a way to fix the other two problems. Here's what I came up with:

Attached File  IMG_20151115_145132604.jpg   160.78KB   2 downloads

Cool right? I can hear you begging me for one now. Okay, so maybe a kydex box isn't the most elegant solution, but it works. Also, this ugly box provides faster access over the MP7 sleeve that's commercially available and works on a wider variety of guns.

Attached File  IMG_20151115_145037606.jpg   159.39KB   0 downloads

Basically, it just keeps everything from snagging, and/or potentially creating an unsafe condition. And with my Saiga-12 it not only protects my pack from the muzzle device, but it provides space for the magazine. And I still have room for my lunch.

Attached File  IMG_20151115_145513337.jpg   188.93KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20151115_125204065.jpg   147.05KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20151115_125313395.jpg   137.63KB   0 downloads

Now, I probably won't leave this in my pack at all times, because I don't really want to carry a rifle or shotgun at all times, but it's nice to know that that capability is more functional than it was before. Also, for the record, I'm not going to be doing drills to see how fast I can pull the weapon out and put rounds on target. It's not the SBR equivalent of a holster, this is still primarily a storage and transportation method. I'm still going to need to get take a knee behind cover so that I can get into my bag. However, now I can get the gun into the fight more quickly and easily in the event of an active shooter scenario (or terror attack like Paris). Also, when I do carry it, the weapons will be muzzle down and condition 3 for safety. The P90/PS90 really needs to be muzzle down because going up and down stairs is enough to cycle the bolt and (at best) spill a bunch of ammo into the bottom of the pack. If speed isn't a priority, then the box is better left at home in exchange for the additional space.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this, in case any of you were trying to think of ways to organize your pack, or make space for an SBR. Also, I'm planning on sticking a couple columns of velcro loop on the box to allow for pouches and further organization. Now it's just a matter of fine tuning ammo carriage and such.

Edited by spenceman, 15 November 2015 - 05:44 PM.

• Psybain, DStevenson, MightyP and 1 other like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

Looks pretty bad ass.. nice job Spence!

• spenceman likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 264 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

Pretty cool!

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

That's pretty damn cool.

#5 wwilkins

wwilkins

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:48 PM

I like the platform idea, maybe use that design and modify it into carrying pistol and Medical gear within that partitioned area, separated from your everyday normal items in a pack.  A few slots cut into it and I think it would be molle compatible with left over pouches i got laying around.     I think that divider idea could be used in a wide array of  backpacks that we all use, I may have to try it out.  Thanks for the idea

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

No problem man,  I posted it to see what other cool stuff people would come up with. I do like how open it is, so like you said, when I don't have the rifle, fast access stuff will be perfectly at home. As far as molle slots go, I don't have the patience or the tools to do a nice job cutting them out, but it would work well.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

#7 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:00 AM

Dremel and a heat gun!

#8 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

Nice set up!

Now send me the pack and the guns and I'll make sure they get carried as much as they deserve!

• spenceman likes this

89BccLb.png

#9 brushpopper

brushpopper

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

very neat idea!  I have a S. O. Tech extended bag that will carry an SBR (which I don't have at the moment) or broke down AR.....fairly nice system. Unfortunately it only has the one wide cross over shoulder strap which will get uncomfortable real quick if you had to strike a trot cross country!  I'm looking into the Karrimor Predator Patrol 45 PLCE, a buddy of mine has one and has put quite few miles on it and seems to be holding up well.

#10 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

That karrimor pack looks pretty nice. You hit the nail on the head though, those sling packs aren't well suited to long distance travel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users