11 replies to this topic

#1 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

My truck was stolen while I was at a clients office on November 5th. I had a metric ton of crap in it... tools, gear, my M&P Shield, my 20 year old COFFEE CUP!!!!!, you name it, it was probably in there. Not to mention things my daughter made for me and a few other non-monetary valuables. 

I should have word today from insurance on what my next steps are since the truck has not yet been recovered.

I know a lot of you are like me and have everything in their vehicle. What is everyone doing to prevent their vehicle from being boosted? I'm thinking some alarm system but i really hate the aftermarket ones... I know if someone wants it bad enough and seasoned in their profession its as good as gone but wanted to get some other opinions and ideas.

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

That sucks brother. Sorry to hear that.

I don't really have theft protection. I'm lucky that at work I have secured parking. Everywhere else, I simply don't leave shit in my truck I don't want stolen, or I'm ok with losing.

Tools and shit can be replaced. No weapons ever left in truck. And crossed fingers after that. It has the factory horn type alarm, that's it. Well, two of my vehicles do. The old diesel doesn't have anything.

I've thought about ignition kill switches before, just never done it. I think that's the best route. Maybe I should get on that.
  • nroeber78 likes this

#3 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

All my gasoline vehicles have had lojack and fuel pump kills. My diesel has lojack and an additional, somewhat complex ignition kill i came up with.
  • nroeber78 likes this

#4 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

I don't have any specific recommendations other than a manual being the best theft prevention. Personally I wouldn't bother with an alarm system to prevent theft, it has been proven that people do not pay attention when one is going off. In fact some time ago I was reading an article from a former car thief and he said the best time to steal a car was mid day in a walmart parking lot.  

• nroeber78 likes this

#5 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

There are two way alarms that will alert you via the key fob that the alarm has been activated.
  • nroeber78 likes this

#6 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

Sorry to hear that. I wish you the best on getting it all sorted out.

I don't do too much to prevent the whole vehicle from being stolen. I do my best to make it look like there is nothing inside and, whenever possible, I park where the lot security cameras have a nice clear shot of my vehicle. 

Kill switches are cheap and effective. Just have to come up with a good place to hide it and remember to use it. Plus, it won't realistically save your stuff. Just your truck. Viper has a SmartStart thing that hooks in with your phone. It's expensive and has a monthly fee (it connects to cell towers), but lets you track your car, get messages when your car is unlocked or broken into, start your car, etc. Obviously connecting your car to the internet has its own risks, but it's another option.

In any case, I hope it works out for you.

No weapons ever left in truck.

Unfortunately, for us non-LEO types, that's not always an option unless we leave it at home. Going into my kid's school and any sporting events, I can't carry. 

• nroeber78 likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#7 littleninja

littleninja

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:32 AM

I keep the interior visibly clear of anything outside of an ice scraper and umbrella. I also created a low-brow Lojack. Velcro'd an old smartphone into the interior of the trunk (concealed). Served 2 purposes: GPS if it got stolen, GPS and COMS if I got nipped by a weirdo. 

Sorry to hear your truck got lifted - all that stuff is replaceable but it still sucks. LOL'd at the coffee mug of legal age (damn!!)

• nroeber78 likes this

n0Q3KCI.png?1

#8 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

Ironically car theft has been dramatically increasing now that anti-theft devices have become 'sophisticated'.

Good call on the kill switches. I might do that this weekend.

#9 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

a part of me wants to get something like a prius - no one wants those! but i have to much need for a pickup ... i'll probably go kill switch/lojack route... I guess auto theft prevention is kind of like firewalling your network.... if they want it bad enough they'll get in. 

Thanks for the ideas gents!

#10 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

a part of me wants to get something like a prius - no one wants those! but i have to much need for a pickup ... i'll probably go kill switch/lojack route... I guess auto theft prevention is kind of like firewalling your network.... if they want it bad enough they'll get in. 

Thanks for the ideas gents!

I have a '92 F250 NON turbo diesel. I've left it running, unattended, for long periods in public. So yeah, drive something no one would steal. Haha.
  • Hidyn, mackguy and ducttapedave like this

#11 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

I can't even imagine going through that. I also have a pickup that's everything work related for me. I hope you get things sorted out brother.

And it's time for me to find someone to install kill switches in my POV too.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#12 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

You had me at 20 year old coffee cup, I'd be going all Man on Fire on those assholes over that. For me.... my coffee cup is my reason for not murdering people daily.

I weep for you, but not the poor bastard that took your stuff. No, he deserves whatever is coming.

• Hidyn, MightyP, BTSmith10 and 1 other like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users