12 replies to this topic

#1 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

This is an odd one.

I recently started cataloguing what I carried so I could keep track of serial numbers and medical expiry dates, as well as to have a list if something was lost or stolen. I then realised just how much it would cost to replace it all if my bag got nicked. (A lot)

Do any of you specifically insure your carry?

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#2 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

I don't carry additional insurance specifically for EDC theft because my renter's insurance cover's it (after my deductible). If my bag gets stolen or if I get mugged, they'll cover what was taken. Though I really should take pictures/get an inventory so I have it, just in case. 

Your question got me thinking, so I actually went back and looked through my policy before responding. It confirmed what I thought, but I found this quote and thought it was funny. That is, funny until it happens...

It mentions acts of war aren't covered and includes the following note:

"Discharge of a nuclear weapon will be deemed a warlike act, even if accidental."

Edited by MightyP, 24 November 2015 - 01:01 PM.

• spenceman, Koopa, Hidyn and 2 others like this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#3 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

I had that's a bonus to doing "what's in your bag?" posts, gives  a timestamped proof of what you had when.

• MightyP likes this

#4 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:45 PM

I will be doing this when I get my next pickup truck. The last one was stolen while I was at a clients office back on the 5th. You can bet I will be keeping a running log of whats in my truck going forward. What really sucks is I had to put 2 claims in on my homeowners insurance this year for water pipe leaks in the slab and cant put another one in without being dropped so I'm at a loss when it comes to the personal effects I had in my truck. 

#5 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

Depending on how much gear you are carrying it may not actually be worth it to do a claim depending on what it would do to your rates. But then insurance varies pretty wildly depending on where you live so there's that. 

#6 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

I've been thinking about this very thing, a while back I realized that I have somewhere in the ballpark of $3500 worth of gear on my back some days (If I shove my pistol and silencer in there). So yeah, I think I'll start keeping better records, and I'll ready over my insurance policy to make sure I'm covered.

And hopefully no nuclear weapons are discharged within range of my bag, county, state, or country..

Edited by spenceman, 24 November 2015 - 07:39 PM.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#7 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

I'm guessing if a nuclear weapon is detonated near enough to your gear to cause damage, insurance is not going to be at the top of your priority list.

• spenceman and pira114 like this

#8 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:19 PM

Something to consider.

I used to have all my stuff insured through the same company. It's usually cheaper.

Problem is, if I put in a homeowner's claim, then get into a vehicle accident, guess what happens to me? With some insurances, it's all underwritten together. So those claims would all count against one "mother" policy. And I could get dropped or rates increased through the roof.

With separate companies, they are obviously separate claims. Furthermore, when I went to add firearms to the list, it caused a conflict. The homeowners policy would cover it, but the vehicle one would not. Makes sense. Until they are stolen out of, or along with, your vehicle. Then, I was told, the homeowners would not cover it because the vehicle policy specifically did not. Ummmm, what?

So, the solution is research. Make sure whatever company you have doesn't cross over policies and ding you across the board. And also make sure they don't conflict
  • spenceman, bigfoot and MightyP like this

#9 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

In the U.S., homeowner's or renter's insurance typically covers your personal belongings. Peculiarly, if my vehicle were broken into and an article stolen from it my homeowner's would cover it rather than my full coverage auto insurance.

I have some personal articles policies on wife's jewelry (e.g., wedding & engagement ring). I wouldn't insurance it. You'd spend more longterm than you would in the event yourstuff was stolen. However, I think it's great to have serial numbers of all your important stuff. Should my phone get ganked I'm particularly in trouble because it's got the serials for my EDC firearms, etc. However, I have a master list with photos of all (literally) my stuff with serial numbers where applicable.
  • spenceman likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#10 BrianTX

BrianTX

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

My insurance company will retain serial numbers of high value items.  Some people may not like this option, maybe a list in a safe deposit box.  I hadn't updated my info in a while.  I took pictures of a few numbers before I left town, just in the even of a break in.  Serial numbers help get stuff tracked down.

#11 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

Having serial numbers quickly to hand makes a big difference in getting stuff recovered. Then if the thief, fence or buyer is checked, it comes up. Too late and its too late.

#12 ScottMan

ScottMan

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

Insurance agent checking in here...don't worry, I'm told I'm one of the less sleazy ones. :)

I don't carry additional insurance specifically for EDC theft because my renter's insurance cover's it (after my deductible). If my bag gets stolen or if I get mugged, they'll cover what was taken. Though I really should take pictures/get an inventory so I have it, just in case. 

Your question got me thinking, so I actually went back and looked through my policy before responding. It confirmed what I thought, but I found this quote and thought it was funny. That is, funny until it happens...

It mentions acts of war aren't covered and includes the following note:

"Discharge of a nuclear weapon will be deemed a warlike act, even if accidental."

Renter's definitely covers your personal property anywhere in the world (your house, in your car, when Southwest Airlines loses it, etc.) but be careful with certain super high-end items.  If you've got a Chris Reeve knife or a Microtech, most insurance companies would love to see receipts and pictures since it is so out-of-the-realm of what they usually see for the value of a knife.  

The nuclear weapon exclusion is a trip.  There's also usually an exclusion for terrorism, which is less funny.  

I will be doing this when I get my next pickup truck. The last one was stolen while I was at a clients office back on the 5th. You can bet I will be keeping a running log of whats in my truck going forward. What really sucks is I had to put 2 claims in on my homeowners insurance this year for water pipe leaks in the slab and cant put another one in without being dropped so I'm at a loss when it comes to the personal effects I had in my truck. 

That stinks!  Unfortunately you are correct that in most states, there is legislation that states that insurance companies can non-renew ("drop") an insured for having 3 claims within a 3 year period.  

Depending on how much gear you are carrying it may not actually be worth it to do a claim depending on what it would do to your rates. But then insurance varies pretty wildly depending on where you live so there's that. 

Also true.  Most insurance companies in most states offer a claim-free discount that can be pretty substantial over time.  The good news is, the first weather-related claim usually does not remove said discount.  The bad news is, although decidedly not your fault, theft usually does remove that discount.  

Something to consider.

I used to have all my stuff insured through the same company. It's usually cheaper.

Problem is, if I put in a homeowner's claim, then get into a vehicle accident, guess what happens to me? With some insurances, it's all underwritten together. So those claims would all count against one "mother" policy. And I could get dropped or rates increased through the roof.

With separate companies, they are obviously separate claims. Furthermore, when I went to add firearms to the list, it caused a conflict. The homeowners policy would cover it, but the vehicle one would not. Makes sense. Until they are stolen out of, or along with, your vehicle. Then, I was told, the homeowners would not cover it because the vehicle policy specifically did not. Ummmm, what?

So, the solution is research. Make sure whatever company you have doesn't cross over policies and ding you across the board. And also make sure they don't conflict

Sage advice.  Bundling discounts are awesome, but you need to raise the exact questions you did to make sure you're not opening yourself up to a world-of-hurt.  Solid post!

In the U.S., homeowner's or renter's insurance typically covers your personal belongings. Peculiarly, if my vehicle were broken into and an article stolen from it my homeowner's would cover it rather than my full coverage auto insurance.

I have some personal articles policies on wife's jewelry (e.g., wedding & engagement ring). I wouldn't insurance it. You'd spend more longterm than you would in the event yourstuff was stolen. However, I think it's great to have serial numbers of all your important stuff. Should my phone get ganked I'm particularly in trouble because it's got the serials for my EDC firearms, etc. However, I have a master list with photos of all (literally) my stuff with serial numbers where applicable.

Personal articles policies are what we usually insure the higher-end stuff under.  My guns and watches are insured under a PAP.  If you have collectibles, stamps, baseball cards, records, or, say, a very nice 1911 or a Trijicon, I'd push you toward a PAP.  The great thing about it is that it usually has a MUCH lower deductible ($0-$100 on average), and with some companies, it won't cause issues with your Homeowner's in the event of a claim.  

My insurance company will retain serial numbers of high value items.  Some people may not like this option, maybe a list in a safe deposit box.  I hadn't updated my info in a while.  I took pictures of a few numbers before I left town, just in the even of a break in.  Serial numbers help get stuff tracked down.

We had a client who was very sensitive about having his list of guns available.  I checked into it for him and, in case anyone is wondering, insurance companies do have to divulge that info when faced with a warrant.  So...there's that.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it helps slightly!

• MightyP likes this

#13 Browncoat

Browncoat

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

Another insurance agent reporting in...

Confirming that items you carry on your person will be an extension of your home owner's (or renter's) policy...up to a certain value. Check your policy for individual limits.

For higher end items, I strongly suggest investing in an Inland Marine policy. Some of you may already have one, or similar (often called a "rider") already for your wife's wedding ring or other jewelry. This is a scheduled list of particular items of value above and beyond what your policy covers. You can put just about anything on an Inland Marine policy (camera gear, etc.) and they're perfect for guns. They are surprisingly inexpensive policies as well.

Laws and policies will vary by state, so give your agent a call and ask about them!

Edited by Browncoat, 29 March 2016 - 02:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users