3 replies to this topic

#1 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:35 PM

So I'm thinking about putting together a training day for my local volunteer search and rescue organization. There aren't a lot of skills in this group. Soup sandwich would describe a lot of the members honestly. 

But even Rome was a hovel once. I figured I would do my part to try and build people up with some practical skills. I am not putting together a High Angle or Low Angle Rescue course. This is more aimed at understanding basic knot work, terms, a handful of essential knots that could cover a lot of the basics of what you might encounter in the field. 

1) Square Knot

2) Bowline or Figure 8

3) Clove Hitch

4) Round turn with 2 half hitches

5) Alpine Butterfly

6) Prussick

7) Sheet Bend

What are some of the knots that you would consider indispensable?

What are some pieces of information you wish would have been passed on to you when you first started out? 

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

Bowline and prussick. The 2 I use the most.
  • pira114 likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

Bowline and prussick. The 2 I use the most.

These and the square are about all I can remember using much. They'll cover about everything you need in SAR

#4 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

I've started using double figure 8s around a bight more than a bowline lately. It's a lot easier to check at a distance to make sure the knot has been tied correctly. I was volunteering at a High Rise rappel fund raiser a bit ago and was amazed at how the SWAT teams knots were tied. Ugly. They were effective but ugly. If a figure 8 is pretty it's going to hold. 

I also made a practice rig at home with a hitching rail to work knots. I tried to throw a picture of it up a while ago but I still have not yet managed to figure out how to upload pictures. 

Of course it could just all break down into lets make para-cord jewellery.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: knot, skills, training, development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users