• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 conan

conan

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

Anyone have one of these on their watch? Are they durable (shockproof?). I had an alebit cheap clip on compass on my watch strap and after a round of shooting and everyday chores the dial came off its center pivot. I'd prefer not to spend $20 on the Suunto if it wouldn't hold up either.

Thanks

Conan

#2 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

I used to use one. I really like the Clipper. The biggest drawback I found  was it lives up to its name. It's a clip on  and clip off compass. It's not threaded on to whatever you put it on. It decided to clip off my watch strap and go walk about without my realizing it. It was super convenient. It was great when I  was working out  in  the rurals and could get my bearings quickly.

The unit itself never came out of  the housing. I've had  that happen with Coligan's similar unit. But the entire unit did drop off. Something to  be aware of for sure. 

#3 conan

conan

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The clip-on part was a secondary concern. My current compass threaded on the band which was nice and secure, however it didn't hold up for more than a day. I was figuring I might be able to superglue the clip part of the Sunnto together for a more permanent solution, but again I'd like to feel secure knowing that it can handle the shock of everyday activity while wearing it.

#4 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

Silva make a compass that threads on, I've had both types and prefer the clipper.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#5 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

For me, it is very uncomfortable and digs into my wrist. I had to remove it for that reason.
Posted Image

#6 conan

conan

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

Thanks guy's for the replys. May try the Silva, free shipping right now and guarenteed for life.

#7 bigfoot

bigfoot

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

FYI -- Depending on where you are located in the world, the Suunto vs. Silva vs. Brunton choice can be clouded by who actually makes the compass (and where), not just the name on it. Short answer is that in the U.S., you are much better off to search for a Suunto compass, which is truly made in Finland and is of good quality.

Here's a link with info on Silva. They have had the rights to their company bought and sold numerous times, and many of their products are now made in China:

https://en.wikipedia...i/Silva_compass

#8 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

Good to know, thank you. The suunto I could find were extortionate, so I have a marathon one that looks identical apart from dial face and works well enough, though the first I got the compass fell out of the case when just walking around.

#9 bigfoot

bigfoot

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

If your Marathon version is anything like the Suunto Clipper, the outer rotating bezel just snaps on and off, allowing the compass capsule to pop out. Which could be seen as a benefit I guess, as you can put the capsule itself into smaller survival / SERE kits.

#10 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:05 AM

If your Marathon version is anything like the Suunto Clipper, the outer rotating bezel just snaps on and off, allowing the compass capsule to pop out. Which could be seen as a benefit I guess, as you can put the capsule itself into smaller survival / SERE kits.

I think it's less well made than that, it's held in place with some kind of glue and simply fell out, the bezel still in place.

#11 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

I was wondering the same thing about durability, but figured if Bryan Black is still wearing one with no complaints, I'd give it a shot.

I weaved mine into a paracord bracelet since A. I figured it might pop off a band and B. I don't wear a watch. I'd like to, but that's another story.

So far, I've had it probably a year or so, and it still looks and functions like the day I got it. Often times I'll be giving someone an enthusiastic round of applause and then think "Oh damn, that can't have been good for the compass..." but it still points true when I check it.

I normally wouldn't have bothered with what looks like such an inferior piece of kit. However it's proven reliable, and it's honestly a treat to be able to just glance down and get a rough bearing on you or others in an instant. No batteries required.

I will say, however, that I did pull about ten of them off the shelf and flip them around to see which was the fastest to come back to north.

I noted a difference, but I'm sure the average person is not as picky as I am. :-)
  • bigfoot likes this

#12 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:57 AM

I have one of these on my watch and it has survived my daily wear and tear which to be honest isnt a whole lot. I found when the clip on compass style was just on my watch band it would snap off and get lost and dig into my skin. My solution is stolen from my operator band. It had a small strip of velcro that is big enough to wrap around my watch band and keeps the compass secure and very comfortable. Picture below to show you how it works. It does slip up and down the watch band when stressed but nothing has knocked it off yet and I can wear it through any type of work comfortably.

EBupJ8r.png

• Hidyn likes this

#13 ryno

ryno

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

For me, it is very uncomfortable and digs into my wrist. I had to remove it for that reason.

ditto. not comfortable riding sidecar on my gshock. that and I live in a city - not really needed daily. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users