11 replies to this topic

#1 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

Not a new subject, but searching didn't satisfy my questions.

Currently at work, we wear 5.11 TDUs. These have integrated pocket organization in the cargo pockets. It's actually been pretty nice to be able to organize stuff I put in my cargo pockets.

Our fearless leaders heard we liked these uniforms. They did not let this deter them from their lifelong goal of making us miserable, and set out to find us new uniforms. And they succeeded.

New pants have cargo pockets with no organization. Just plain pockets. What's worse, is they don't seem to expand as much.

So I need organization now. I'm kinda looking at the MaxPed micro, but not too sure. I don't want much bigger than that as I figured I could use them off duty as well since I wear Wrangler cargo pants mostly. And those pants have slightly undersized pockets. Compared to BDU sized pockets anyway.

Some of the normal stuff I carry is an epi pen, Swat T (x2), ITS mini survival kit, Safariland spit net, couple of pens, small multi tool, digital camera.

That's about what sits just in my two cargo pockets. So I'm debating getting two. One for each pocket as I don't like to have it all on one side. Plus, with better organization, I can add a couple things for redundancy from my belt.

Anyway, in that size range, anything better than just a zip up pouch? In the end, that's about all these organizers are. Zip up pouches with maybe some loops or dividers in them. A Google search didn't reveal anything revolutionary in that regard.

What I like about the pouch idea is being able to take the whole thing out and switching it to other pants or packs easily. What I'll miss, is the ease of which I used to be able to grab one specific thing just by knowing exactly where in my pocket it would be.

So what says the crew? Gotta be more ideas than a pouch.

Edited by pira114, 27 November 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#2 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hmmm.

I haven't used any of it, but 20 Dollar Bandit has some stuff that might fit your needs.

http://www.20dollarbandit.com/

NoTMZyB.png

#3 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:56 PM

Try doing a search for kydex pocket organizers. I haven't used them, but there are lots of DIYs and a few places that sell them. There are also a lot of holster companies that'll do custom kydex projects, if you have one nearby. It'll cost you more, but you might be able to get a deal if they think they can sell it to others.

As for the MaxPed Micro, I have it for a boo-boo kit and it works great. I know you're looking for other options, but this one isn't a bad one.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#4 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

Here are the 2 specific organizers I was thinking of. I've never used either, but thought they seemed interesting.

http://www.maxpediti...nizer-p1515.htm

http://www.thefirear...-pocket-shield/

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

Thanks.

Mighty, I've looked at the Raven Concealment one, but I really don't think it'll work.

I like that other Max product. Seems like it's exactly what is missing out of my pockets by switching uniforms. Too bad it's not horizontal though. That'd fill up the cargo pocket.

I might go with a Max (or similar) pouch as well as the one you linked. Try both and see what I like. Maybe one of each will fit the bill, especially since there's a few things I add when off duty.

Swat Dog, thanks for that link. Their micro kit looks interesting as well.

Decisions decisions.

#6 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

Just took a much closer look at the 20dollarbandit mini kit mk7.

My biggest concern is no zipper. I get that it's designed to be easier to open, but I'm worried about stuff falling out.

Anyone have actual experience with them? If not, I'm reluctant to try it.
  • ferg likes this

#7 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

The maxped pouch will do a good job of organising the kit, but also make it a bulky block. I'd look again at the RCS pocket shield, it looks like it'll keep stuff accessible without opening the pocket, removing the pouch, unzipping, rummaging...

Have a Google for some existing setups.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#8 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

I have the hook and loop maxped job in my Khard, organising pens etc. In concert with a sort of loop panel could work. That way you can use any of the hook and loop pouches like tactical tailor's low vis mag pouches.

#9 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:38 PM

My problem with the RCS system, is how to attach an epi pen, a small camera, and anything else that doesn't have a clip on it?

I've looked at a lot of pics of it, and they're all set up with items that have some sort of way to attach.

But I don't want the bulk of the pouch like you're talking about.

I gotta think on this more

#10 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

Anything with a slim molle-able case should work, or a belt/pocket clip. I've also seen them rigged with shock cord to hold  things like pens, could work.

#11 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:17 AM

I also use the Maxpeditiion Hook and loop organizer. It's good for smaller items. 

Have you considered looking at a GridIt type of system? http://www.cocooninn...ns.com/grid.php  These are extremely easy to fabricate for yourself. I've made a few for custom applications. If you're interested I can walk you through how to do it. Even if you can sew it's super easy.

• MightyP likes this

#12 z0phi3l

z0phi3l

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

How about one of these? http://www.cocooninn...o.php?cat_id=61

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users