• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Flatwater Overland

Flatwater Overland

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

Howdy all, first time posting here.  I am looking for a new wallet.  My 10 year old Spec-Ops T.H.E. Wallet is finally wearing out.  Of course, I REALLY wanted the ITS Hypalon wallet, but missed the boat big time.  What are your experiences and ideas for a replacement?  I'd ideally like a wallet that is more than just a card carrier, more for the EDC crowd if you know what I mean.  Also thinking that RFID/smartcard protection would be a necessity for me....

Thoughts?  Options?

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

I'm gonna go with the ITS wallet when possible. But I want the full kit, and I'm a tad partial to ITS.

As for RFID protection, I got the Signal Vault. Fairly cheap and reports from 3rd party testing says it works. But it does add another card to your wallet

#3 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

I use an Echo Niner M-Holder as my wallet.  I was turned on to it by Eric S from the ITS staff.  It holds my badge on one side, ID's, CC's, and Bogota Pi Set on the other.  In between I keep two mica shims and cash.  It stays in my pocket unless I need to have my badge displayed.  Then I can throw it around my neck with the paracord lanyard.  Maybe not the same use-case as yours, but I've been very pleased with it.

http://store.eniner....nd-badge-pouch/

NoTMZyB.png

#4 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

If you want to look at something completely different, look at Trayvax.http://www.trayvax.com/  . It's a bit of a different beast. The wallet is made of aluminium if my memory serves. Durable as all get out. Nice gnurled grips to get a secure hold. Fun and slightly ridiculous additional features, bottle opening, doubles as a better grip for plastic grocery bags, laynard/carabiner hole for securing, and optional whistle, that works pretty well.

I can attest that the wallet is RFID blocking, I have tested this on several occasion now. It's definitely a unique piece. I switched to metal wallets quite some time ago and I've really enjoyed it.  

• Flatwater Overland likes this

#5 Flatwater Overland

Flatwater Overland

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the options!  gonna look into them!

#6 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

If you need I can drop some action shots of the Trayvax wallet. I've got the whistle and "high roller" option. The wallet's been a solid performer for me. I haven't had any issues with it flying domestically in Canada. And the bag carrying function is actually pretty handy when the missus calls me to help with groceries. 

Or god forbid, shopping.

#7 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

Enabler patches for you all, i just ordered a trayvax
  • SwatDawg335, MightyP and ducttapedave like this

#8 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

I'm not an enabler. I am encouraging a strong economy by investing in local businesses and local economy. To do anything else would be letting the other guy win. Can't have that. 

• SwatDawg335 likes this

#9 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

I'm not an enabler. I am encouraging a strong economy by investing in local businesses and local economy. To do anything else would be letting the other guy win. Can't have that.

"enabler" isn't an insult here. It's really a compliment...

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#10 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

Enabler is an on going joke between me and the missus. We've gotten good at justification. Sometimes it's hard to turn off
  • spenceman likes this

#11 Markus White

Markus White

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

Any thoughts on the front pocket wallet?  Still in the same realm of the above inquiry.

#12 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

I love front pocket wallet carry. I had a nice thin leather one that eventually disintegrated and i went back to a bifold in the back. I miss the comfort of front pocket, which is why i ordered a trayvax

#13 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

I'm digging the trayvax. I don't carry much cash with me, but it does start to get a little off with more than 6 or 7 cards, but maybe it's just me

#14 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

Also, as far as rfid, i think that depends on where the chip is. My PD access card is working with either side of the wallet toward the panel

#15 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

Maybe that's true about chip placement. I haven't had issues yet but I don't carry a lot of RFID active cards. Most RFID items I carry also have individual protective sleeves.

I picked up a high roller strap. Loads of room now.

#16 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

I had to adjust that tail piece of 550. I may punch 2 aluminum cards for each side of my stack

#17 kwatsonapd

kwatsonapd

Landlubber

• Life Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

Hey Marcus, 

I just picked up the Ridge wallet from Huckberry. I havent had it but for a few weeks now, I really like it for the aluminum body and small size.

#18 Bodi_R578

Bodi_R578

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcarrying the flag of freedom

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

I dig the purpose built wallets to hide stuff but I just modified mine. I use a longer style wallet that would hold a bill flat and unfolded, on the inside of one of the card pockets they are lined. I cut slots in the liner, I have a mini saw, rake, pic, tensioner, shim pick, diamond wire and some paper clips. and a couple of useless cards. I also have a tool card that is stashed as well. when people see it they think, look at that red neck wallet with animal fur and spur on it but they don't realize I have most of plan B inside of it.

#19 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

I have a leather Docmers wallet with dual ID window. I EDC a couple of BandAids and a Fresnel lens along with my cards in a RFID blocking sleeve. I keep plenty of cas, insurance cards, my Sam's Club card, DL, CHL, ChickFilA cow calendar card, debit and two credit cards. I've thought for years about keeping a razor blade on there.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 30 January 2016 - 02:22 PM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#20 Bodi_R578

Bodi_R578

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcarrying the flag of freedom

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

RFID blocking sleeve ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wallet, edc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users