8 replies to this topic

#1 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:27 AM

So, for quite some time now, we've not been required to wear duty belts in the jail. Authorized, but not required.

This is about to end. And I was about to go back to wearing one anyway, as my gear list is expanding. Back when I started, cuffs and a radio were all we wore in here.

But I don't want to go back to leather. Nylon has been approved. It doesn't need to be up to the task of patrol belt since we still don't carry that much. Normally, I carry my radio, cuffs, flashlight (surefire in V70 holder), keys, TQ in nylon holder, and an IFAK on a sub load when my team gets called out. Everything else is carried on a plate carrier.

Point is, I don't think I need the stiffness of some of the higher end belts, but I don't want crap.

I was thinking the Sierra Bravo from 5.11 might fit the bill. But since I've had both great and shitty luck with 5.11 products, I'm looking for feedback and options (great luck with their belts and pouches, shitty luck with packs).

Any opinions on this belt?

http://www.511tactic...y-belt-kit.html

I like the buckle. In the pics anyway. Looks low profile and secure.

Any other options that people have experience with? Nylon duty belts are a newly approved item. So I've never used them.

Edited by pira114, 01 December 2015 - 02:29 AM.

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:48 AM

I should add that one problem I already see with this belt is that it fits a narrow range of waist sizes for each size.

I'd prefer a belt that can be adjusted, quickly, over a larger range of sizes. Reason is that we often throw on fire retardant jump suits that add a lot of bulk. We then add an air pack and other gear. So I'd love to be able to throw this duty belt over all that so as to have my normal gear still accessible.

Also thought it'd be cool if I could utilize it on SAR. All three of these goals require different sized belts due to clothing requirements.

This may be asking too much out of a belt, but figured I'd give it a shot.

Edited by pira114, 01 December 2015 - 02:51 AM.

#3 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

You've pique my curiosity with that belt. I use a rigger's belt a lot and I've enjoyed having it. This one seems to be a whole lot easier for on and off. Might be a good addition. I am also curious about about feedback on this belt.

There's mostly positive reviews on the site. Nothing addressing the sizing issue. One was from a gentleman who used it as a duty belt in a prison. Noted the buckle being difficult for someone else to take off. 

#4 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

I played with one at a trade show and looked a lot more secure than the traditional SRB on most duty belts.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

I'm also looking at the Bianchi Accumold 7200. It has a much greater range of waist sizes each belt size will fit. I don't know if it's easy though. All the ones I've used so far have been leather and a pain to adjust.

But Bianchi is way more common and my local cop shop should have it to mess about with.

#6 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

It seems to have the hook and loop portions reverse to most duty belts. I like my simple leather duty belt, made in Wales from high quality sturdy leather, but it secures with a normal double prong buckle, most American ones seem to have a very different setup. Adjustment is as simple as buckling to a different set of holes. http://www.peterjone...elts/index.html (LTBLT8)

For additional comfort I use a set of SKD PIG Shoulder pads as padding, works very well and low profile. Any belt aggravates my hips but nylon especially as it never moulds to your body like leather will. Also, some officer safety tactics rely on the belt and I wouldn't trust a cheap plastic SRB and worn Velcro for this. Especially as the ladderlock portion of the SRB won't engage with thick nylon belts.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#7 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

I used an Uncle Mike's nylon belt with molded beltkeepers, on patrol, for a decade with little to no wear. I used their pouches but eventually switched to Bianchi Accumold pouches as they're a bit slimmer and flattter. I always thought the Bianchi belt was too wide and with too massive of a buckle. As for leather, I used Don Hume and eventually simuleather Bianchi Accold Elite.

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#8 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:48 PM

I should update.

I went with the 5.11 Sierra Bravo and a couple Bianchi Accumold pouches for things I didn't already have pouches for. I haven't really worn it enough to give it a proper review, but so far, so good.

First, it was cheap. It fits well, easy to adjust, is very lightweight, and comfortable.

I like the buckle. But honestly all I'd ever worn before was the Sam Browne leather gear with brass buckle.

Time will tell if it holds up. But I'm not pushing a car. I ride the jail these days

#9 DEAHEAT

DEAHEAT

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

I used a black hawk rigging belt which allowed me to make a perfect fit since it was Velcro. I believe it was not 2" which gave me a smaller profit and not the big batman belt look. I since have moved on to the black hawk full 2" duty belt and I am very happy. I do plan on putting my whole kit on my vest though for easier access. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users