#1 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:29 AM

Who uses them?

I'll admit, I tried in the past and gave up. Then when ITS released their marked rite in rain notebooks I ordered a handful and was very excited to use them! But, after a few months of carrying one daily at work, I realized I had inadvertently added index cards inside with a binder clip and had been writing on those instead for notes for my daily reports at work. Eventually the hook fell apart with three pages wrote on.

I again tried, thinking I had to actually write things down. Anything that caught my attention, this too has proven to not be up to snuff after filling a book up with meaningless nonsense!

All this pressed me to ask, what do you all out in your books!? Surely I'm just being dull and missing the bus on this one! Help, I have a stack and a field book now!!
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:55 AM

I used to use notebooks. But since they're discoverable, I lost one whole notebook (with not all work stuff) to a keen lawyer. Since then, I've used 3x5 cards and replace the clip as needed. Which is about once every two years or so.

I haven't found a better solution, but honestly haven't looked since the cards work for me.

#3 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:45 AM

I use them. One pad lasts me a month or two. I burn them when filled. 99% of what goes in it is victim/witness contact info and details like dollar amounts. I also mark down SFSTs in it.

Edited by PSDRyan, 24 December 2015 - 04:47 AM.

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:04 AM

By the way, is this what you mean by a binder clip? This is what I use. But never knew an official name. I always called them clippy thingies. But they work good for me.

Attached Files

• PsychoFish and littleninja like this

#5 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:21 AM

clippy thingies. 

I am pretty sure that is the technical term.

I use little notebooks (field notes) and I tend to write down address/phone numbers I need to remember or just things that I want to look into when I have more time.

#6 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

Ive tried using small notebooks here and there as well. I've gone all digital and store everything in my oneNote. Its accessible via anywhere and stays in sync, not to mention I can read it! I do periodically print the important stuff out and store in my safe.

#7 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

Used to use them a lot for checklists/to-dos lists, when I worked in areas where I couldn't have my phone. Also found them handy for patrol notes, just because they are discoverable. I labeled the front so I wouldn't accidentally put personal stuff in it, added what I needed and then shredded the pages when I was done with them.

Now that I'm a house husband, they're all packed away in a box and I use Wunderlist.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#8 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

By the way, is this what you mean by a binder clip? This is what I use. But never knew an official name. I always called them clippy thingies. But they work good for me.

Yep! That's the same thing I use! So I guess I'll also just keep up with the index cards for work. Like you mentioned though, some of the stuff I write down is considered admissible, or HIPPA so it's probably not a good idea to have it "saved" somewhere!
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#9 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

I started off carrying some really cheap pocket-sized composition book as a kid, filled it with junk I didn't need and then spent a few years without one before trying out a Rite in Rain notebook. I have found it useful to have readily available for random thoughts, things to remember, etc., but since I don't use it every single day it is kept in my bag rather than on my person. So far it has lasted me about 2+ years, with any pages that are no longer needed getting pulled out and burned.

I can use my phone for notes if needed but I prefer pen(cil) and paper. I grew up writing school assignments by hand so I guess it's just what I am used to.

For recording daily activities I use a Moleskine weekly planner and I recently got a full-sized Rhodia notebook (on sale) for future serious writing projects; I do like the idea of index cards and a binder clip as an inexpensive alternative to pocket notebooks.

#10 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

The pocketmod is another very cheap handy option.

http://www.pocketmod.com
  • Browncoat likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#11 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

I've tried PocketMod and didn't find it held up too well with regular printer paper. Perhaps if it was done with some heavier stock it might, but then you're still kind of wasting one side of the sheet unless you refold it in the opposite direction.

#12 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

When I was a patrol officer, I carried a notepad in my right shirt pocket. Both departments I worked at actually printed their own notebooks with department logo for the officers. For EDC purposes, I keep a couple of cheap notebook in my truck and one in my bag. I have a small 3M stick note pad in both as well. I tend to only write things down if I'm on the phone. Otherwise, I use the Ink Pad note app.

At work I have the smaller version of a legal pad (yellow) with a matching clipboard. I make notes on those everyday. They get used quite a bit. A child patient of mine I see a lot asked me recently "Do you keep everything in those?" LOL I tend to go through a lot of prescription pads so those would be something I would have instead been writing on notepads.

For meetings, conferences, etc. I've got a leather pad holder with a full legal pad (yellow) in it. I've had it for many, many years.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#13 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

Any recommendations on a good pad holder like you mentioned ArkansasFan? I have been looking lately and could use a recommendation.

89BccLb.png

#14 littleninja

littleninja

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

I use them. My father used them as an engineer in and out of service so I learned note taking from him as a kid. When I worked in the marine industry we used them when inspecting boat hulls underwater (Hollis) and Rite in the Rain for above deck notes like rigging, electrical, and sail measurements. Now I use regular notepads (steno or small pocket spiral) for project management on the fly. I'm often running from one area to another with a couple dozen projects in flight, all with deadlines and constant chaos. When I'm back to a computer I enter anything that needs documented or follow-up into MS OneNote. I tried using the phone for notes but just can't type on a screen fast enough. I've tried other systems too - seems that each of us will have one system that works for us better than others, just have to try different ones until you find your fit.

None of the work I do in my current role is discoverable, but if it were I'd wish anyone trying to read my handwriting the best of luck. Half the time I need a decoder ring just to read it myself....

n0Q3KCI.png?1

#15 z0phi3l

z0phi3l

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

Not a job requirement to take notes,. my phone and Google Keep handles my rare need for note taking 

#16 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

I carry rite in rain notebooks for work, volunteering and personal. I keep a note book as well (regular) for personal projects.

I end up working in a lot of intrinsically safe work environments so notepads are very needed.

I've used online notebooks and they have their place, but they just can't cut it for me.

#17 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

Any recommendations on a good pad holder like you mentioned ArkansasFan? I have been looking lately and could use a recommendation.

Mine is made by At A Glance. It's really held up. I hope their current products are as worthwhile. I can't find a model name or number on it. It's black, leather, and it opens up with a slot on the top right for inserting the cardboard backing of a legal pad. Behind that there's a pocket just ever so shy of being able to hold a full 8.5x10 inch document. The left side has a diagonal pocket that will hold quite a bit of papers, even magazines. There are two business card pockets toward the bottom and an ink pen slot in the middle "spine" area that I've never put to any substantial use. As I recall it came with some kind of calendar insert that slid into the pocket behind the legal pad. After it expired, I never replaced it. Hope this helps.

In searching for my model, I found the At-A-Glance Outlink Padfolio which is kind of interesting and includes a calendar.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#18 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

Use them habitually. I'm a program manager, so notes from meetings and calls are critical. my go to are the Molskine Quad ruled hardback notebooks. i know, i know, Molskine are HORRIBLE from a MIL/LEO/firearms stand point, but the books are great and i haven't found a good replacement. i also use Field Notes (usually, ITS branded) for notes while on site or in the field so i can stuff the book in my pocket. 

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#19 charliefox

charliefox

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:14 AM

I recycle things I've printed (one sided print only for obvious reasons) and put them on my clipboard. I jot notes and info down and, when the page is full and I'm sure I don't need any of the info, into the Iron Mountain bin it goes. I also go through a lot of Post-It Notes for things I need to remind myself of. I carry a small notepad in my uniform pocket, but it's been there for three years and isn't full yet (Rite-in-the-Rain 3X5). I don't jot as many notes as I used to...

#20 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

I jot thousands of notes on scraps and in a variety of notebooks. I don't generally have to worry about any of it winding up in court thankfully.

Honestly 90% of it hits the trash or the washing machine as just writing info down helps commit it to memory.

The technical term for those clippy thingies is actually 'Bulldog Clips'. So you actually can ask for them by name without feeling like a sissy. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users