#1 Glitch'sTheName

Glitch'sTheName

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hey guys,

So I haven't been on an airplane since I was 12, back when I didn't have any sort of EDC. I know I won't be able to have a knife in the cabin, but I would definitely like to have one when I get where I'm going. I've checked all the laws about what I can and cannot carry. Anyways, my problem is getting my EDC stuff there, along with a little Maxpedition bag (pictured below) I take everywhere I travel. I was gonna put it in my checked back, but since I haven't flown in 9 years, I'm not quite sure what's allowed on an airplane even in checked bags. I'm flying Allegiant Airlines if that helps at all. If anyone has any ideas of stuff I should leave out, please let me know.

Attached File  FullSizeRender-1.jpg   276.99KB   2 downloads

So a rundown of what's in here:

*Left Side*

Yellow 6-hour glow stick

Peanut Lighter

Firesteel

Fisher space Pen

Bic Lighter with Duct Tape

*left pocket*

Word notebook

*Right Side*

Streamlight Polytac

Boker Plus CLB Subcom

ZT 0350

*Right Pocket*

75 to 100' Tan 550 Cord

Attached File  FullSizeRender-2.jpg   192.58KB   1 downloads

On the outside I have a pair of Mechanix M-Pact Gloves attached with a paracord bracelet and an Izula attached to the webbing.

#2 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

TSA has a handy app that gives the specifics of what is and is not allowed. I have carried all kinds of strange items while flying and they all make it through. I have taken glow sticks, para cord, gorilla tape, flashlights, tourniquets, trauma shears, CPR face shield, first aid, zip ties, compass, etc.

Knives and lighters are a no-no in carry on. Empty your water bottle and fill it up once you get through security.

I recommend putting all of your pocket items into a carry-on bag until you get through security. After you get through security, you can find a discreet place to move everything back into its place. The reason is that if you have a bag that is a jumble full of crap, the person reading the scanner isn't going to take the time to individually identify each item, they'll just let it through. But if you place your pocket items into the scanner by themselves, it is more obvious what they are, and the TSA will be more discerning.

Of course, any firearms need to be locked in a checked bag and declared to the airline. There are several threads on the forum about that.

#3 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

Everything you listed should be fine, so long as it's in your checked bag. 

If you plan to carry on anything questionable, have a backup plan in case you and TSA disagree. If you have someone who's dropping you off and will wait, you can just give them any verboten items. If you're by yourself, have a pre-paid, pre-addressed envelop with you. Make sure it has plenty of postage and you can get to it easily. Then, if TSA has a fit, you can just put the item in the envelop and mail it home. I've never had to use it, but I'm told it works as well as anything. Also, if your range bag is doubling as your carry-on, you might get some extra attention. None of it is a big deal, so long as you are polite and plan extra time. 

Good luck and stay safe!

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#4 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:39 AM

pretty much ditto to what everyone else said. you'll be fine putting your EDC bag in your checked bag, as long as there are no pressurized containers (WD-40, ect) or firearms. if you have bottles of liquid i'd seal them in individual plastic bags in case they lead at altitude.

i have a small pelican case i put all my jewery, watch, and pocket EDC in when i'm going thru security. it goes in a side pocket in my carry on bag. wallet goes in the bag as well, minus the ID, which you;ll need to go thru security. I also put all my connecting flight boarding passes in the bag so they don't get lost. belt also goes in the bag until i get thru TSA. once i get thru TSA, the belt goes on, the pocket EDC goes into my pockets, and teh ID goes back into the wallet. 

if you're going to put knives in your check bag i would make sure they are in ANOTHER bag, and not lose. less chance of loosing them if TSA opens you bag. i usually put mine in my dope bag. 

I also fly with the ITS urban wallet with the full loadout of lock picks, ect and haven't had an issue with TSA.

below are pics of my typical pocket EDC when i'm flying and how they fit in the case.

2016-01-07%2011.34.34.jpg2016-01-07%2011.35.02.jpg

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#5 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

one more thing. Lighters are  approved for carry on, but not checked bags.

La'

Edited by redsol1, 07 January 2016 - 10:45 AM.

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#6 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:06 AM

Peanut or zippo type oil/fluid lighters are apparently now seen as containers of fuel and can be confiscated

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#7 stoddy9311

stoddy9311

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

Question....where are you going?

#8 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:00 AM

Peanut or zippo type oil/fluid lighters are apparently now seen as containers of fuel and can be confiscated

Interesting. i never had an issue with my Zippo. I'm sure things like that are based on how well the TSA guy is trained and how well they pay attention.

La'

Posted Image

#9 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

Interesting. i never had an issue with my Zippo. I'm sure things like that are based on how well the TSA guy is trained and how well they pay attention.

La'

My experience is of European airports largely, certainly differs around the world, but I've only travelled with bic lighters since.

#10 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

By the way, everything in my bag in this thread, has successfully gone through security at least a couple of times.

http://itstactical.c...ng-about-carry/

This obviously doesn't include the pocketknife and swiss army knife on my person, they get checked.

Edited by Corbs, 10 January 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#11 Boyd_Crowder

Boyd_Crowder

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

Funny story about me flying recently...  I was in New Bern North Carolina at a very small regional airport.  I checked my bag with my S&W Shield .40 and 2 loaded magazines locked in the same case as the gun.  (As per TSA regulations).  I was paged about 30 minutes later to come to the Delta counter.  The TSA was there with my bag.  They told me that I couldn't have my loaded mags in the same case as my gun and also couldn't have them loose in my suitcase.  I asked what I could do then and they told me that I had to dispose of the bullets.  I tried to explain that I was in full compliance with TSA regs but they wouldn't listen to me.  Jokingly, I asked if I could just go outside and shoot them in the air.  Obviously, they didn't think that was funny.  

So I had to empty my 2 mags and ended up with 13 rounds of .40 caliber ammo in my hand.  (nice hydroshock personal defense ammo)  Have you ever thought about how difficult it is to dispose of ammunition at the airport?  Nearly impossible without people seeing you.  Since it was a small regional airport, I was able to get around towards the back where maintenance work was going on and I didn't notice any cameras and threw my bullets out there.  

Anyways, They were clearly wrong about the rules, but I needed to catch that flight and didn't want to make a scene.  Hopefully that's some food for thought about flying with ammo.  First of all, make sure you know the TSA regulations.  Second, make sure you follow the rules.  Perhaps even going above and beyond like having the ammo in the manufacturers container in another case (separate from your gun) in your bag.  I know it's stupid, but unfortunately that was my experience.  

To be fair, I fly all the time and it's the ONLY time I've ever had a problem, but hopefully this can save someone else a little bit of pain.  

#12 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:43 PM

Funny story about me flying recently... I was in New Bern North Carolina at a very small regional airport. I checked my bag with my S&W Shield .40 and 2 loaded magazines locked in the same case as the gun. (As per TSA regulations). I was paged about 30 minutes later to come to the Delta counter. The TSA was there with my bag. They told me that I couldn't have my loaded mags in the same case as my gun and also couldn't have them loose in my suitcase. I asked what I could do then and they told me that I had to dispose of the bullets. I tried to explain that I was in full compliance with TSA regs but they wouldn't listen to me. Jokingly, I asked if I could just go outside and shoot them in the air. Obviously, they didn't think that was funny.
So I had to empty my 2 mags and ended up with 13 rounds of .40 caliber ammo in my hand. (nice hydroshock personal defense ammo) Have you ever thought about how difficult it is to dispose of ammunition at the airport? Nearly impossible without people seeing you. Since it was a small regional airport, I was able to get around towards the back where maintenance work was going on and I didn't notice any cameras and threw my bullets out there.
Anyways, They were clearly wrong about the rules, but I needed to catch that flight and didn't want to make a scene. Hopefully that's some food for thought about flying with ammo. First of all, make sure you know the TSA regulations. Second, make sure you follow the rules. Perhaps even going above and beyond like having the ammo in the manufacturers container in another case (separate from your gun) in your bag. I know it's stupid, but unfortunately that was my experience.
To be fair, I fly all the time and it's the ONLY time I've ever had a problem, but hopefully this can save someone else a little bit of pain.

I print the TSA regulations and the airline rules so I can point out the error of their ways. But it's not uncommon for people to think you can't have ammo loaded in the mags. You are correct, but there's a line that a lot of people miss. A reusable ammo box is a good idea though. Just in case

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#13 Glitch'sTheName

Glitch'sTheName

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

Question....where are you going?

I'll be flying into Missouri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users