4 replies to this topic

#1 BrianTX

BrianTX

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:29 PM

A recent and unexpected belt loop fail has me thinking about belt loops on IWB holsters.  I'm curious to know what others have tried, liked, had success or failures with.

I've only used belt loops supplied with two blade tech holsters and these are the same ones I've used daily use since 2009.  Just recently, while traveling, the loops began to split, and tore into two pieces at the crease.  The holsters became useless for IWB purposes.  I've been using blade tech holsters and they appear to use a thicker plasticky kind of belt loop whereas other companies are using what appears to be a thinner and more flexible loop, I think these have kevlar, and probably a different main material than the blade tech ones.  The failures might also have been due to just wear and tear over the years and perhaps all loops reach this point.  It is also worth noting that about two years ago I began to use the holsters with only one belt loop, this minimized some bulk from the attachment points for the loops as well allowed the holsters to have more cant.  It might be that this increased pressure on the single belt loop, resulting in a failure.  So, just something to think about there. 

I learned two lessons, especially for travel.  Bring a backup holster(s).  Mine was a belly band which saved the day.  And I'm going to acquire better belt loops.  Bravo and Raven seem to use the more flexible and reinforced ones. 

#2 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:35 PM

My personal favorite iwb mounting system is the gcode clip that they send with the incog. I have even adapted it to other holsters because I like the easy on/off ability. The only loop system I have used was the Raven which I do like because you can only open it from one direction. I have had these loops for a couple years now but only recently have I began using the holster daily.

http://www.tacticalh...ries/GCA89.html

What is the gun you were carrying and how pressed into your body is it? I imagine the looser your belt the less your body itself is supporting the firearm which could cause faster wear with a heavier firearm. 

#3 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:48 AM

Were your loops textured or not? I think they weren't back in 09. The newer loops are better

#4 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

Were your loops textured or not? I think they weren't back in 09. The newer loops are better

^ This is a man in the know. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#5 BrianTX

BrianTX

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

belt tight.  and the loops were smooth.  Those gcode clips look pretty neat.  I was thinking of even upgrading and getting a tuckable strut and new loops through raven or some such company. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users