18 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

Alright, so I've been researching options to get my 4runner out of stuckedness and I can't find what I'm looking for. I initially though a come-along would be a good, inexpensive option, but any of them bigger than a 2-ton is $200+ and heavy. And since my runner is well over 2 tons loaded, un-stucking it will require a lot more umph. The next step up in price gets me into things like Maxtrax. At $350, they might be my best option. I don't need anything to hook to like with a winch or come-along. 

I guess my question is, do any of you have a suggestion for a good, strong come-along or other options that I haven't thought of? Or should I just invest in some Maxtrax?

Thanks,

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

Cheaper options to Maxtrax exist. Check out Treds...about half the price.
  • MightyP likes this

#3 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

The cheapest self recovery tool I have is anything to deflate my tires a bit, I can drop to 15psi, even lower in an emergency. You want to obviously be careful driving any kind of distance on that. I would also look into waffle boards. I found a local place that could sell me some for 100$ and they do the job, some places can cut them to a size that you want even. They lack the extreme knurls of maxtrax and treads but I trust them. You can also get unstuck with a hi lift jack being used like a come-along and some tow straps as shown in the link below. 

For use in desert type of environment you can bury your spare tire and hook into it for an anchor.

• Hidyn, MightyP and littleninja like this

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

You can also buy the waffle rubber mats at most feed stores. Cut them a few inches wider than your tires. Work great.

But for serious self recovery, nothing beats a winch and associated accessories
  • MightyP likes this

#5 JFergus7

JFergus7

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:44 PM

That is a great idea with the waffle mats.  Never thought of doing that but I have been looking at the Maxtrax lately!

#6 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:19 AM

Don't get stuck................... rofl rofl rofl

• spenceman, cperkins1 and BTSmith10 like this

#7 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:17 AM

It's been a while since I updated this, but here's where I'm at today.

Pre-ordered Tred Pros in March with an expected delivery of April. Treds finally arrived 2 days ago. I had a trip to Padre Island National Seashore in August and didn't want to go without anything and I had discovered Traction Jacks after purchasing the Treds, so I ordered a set of Traction Jacks for my trip.

Now that I have a set of Traction Jacks and Treds, I really want to get my hands on a set of Maxtrax and compare the three.

IMG_20160907_0932592.jpg

ITSSignature2.png

#8 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

A winch, a snatch block, and a large tow strap, and an e-tool can get you out of just about anything.

There's an army manual on self recovery on the net somewhere, and it's good info.

The tow strap can be used to wrap a tree to winch off of. The snatch block will double your pulling power. If there's nothing to winch off of, you can use the shovel to bury your spare tire or a log and winch off that.

You can also cargo strap a small log to your tire, or a hilift jack to the side of your wheel to give traction through your wheel no longer being round.

I've rock climbed and offroaded all over California, Washington, and Moab, and there's not much stuck that that small kit won't get you out of.

#9 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:45 PM

Thinking about giving these a shot:
CESSĀ® Off Road Sand Tyre Ladder Recovery Tracks 4WD Caravan Mud Snow ATV (32 Inch) https://www.amazon.c...a_ao30xb1Z6F32Y

Also saving for a winch

#10 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:23 PM

Yes, a winch and accessories is nice,but expensive. A Northern Tool winch is $300, plus $300-$1000 for something to mount it on. The other gear you mentioned is another $100+.

For me, I'm guessing ~$1100 for what I'd want. These can be had for under $200 and for things like the beach, are actually less effort.

They aren't the solution for everything, but they have their place. Ideally, I'd like these AND the winch.

ITSSignature2.png

#11 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:36 PM

I almost forgot! I'll probably use these the most for ground clearance. Biggest issue I still have off-roading isn't getting stuck but rubbing my front bumper, rear bumper or my skid plate.

Last trip to an offroad park, we piled rocks a couple times to give us the clearance to get over

ITSSignature2.png

#12 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

Yes, a winch and accessories is nice,but expensive. A Northern Tool winch is $300, plus $300-$1000 for something to mount it on. The other gear you mentioned is another $100+.

For me, I'm guessing ~$1100 for what I'd want. These can be had for under $200 and for things like the beach, are actually less effort.

They aren't the solution for everything, but they have their place. Ideally, I'd like these AND the winch.

I'm currently leaning towards a super winch tiger shark 9500 with synthetic line

#13 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

I sometimes forget how much money I blew on my Jeep in my younger, more irresponsible, deployment money and no credit limit fueled days lol

#14 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

So I priced everything out specifically for my 4runner, as inexpensively as I'm comfortable going. Basically, that means going with a Smittybilt winch with synthetic rope and remote control (required for a hidden winch).

$1250 for the complete setup with a hidden winch.
$2050 if I got a full bumper.

Both assume I already have the necessary suspension to carry the extra weight.

I dream of getting a winch, but it's not in the cards right now.

ITSSignature2.png

#15 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

People make a big fuss about suspension with the weight of a winch. The SW I'm looking at with a synthetic rope is 60 pounds. That's not really that much...

#16 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

With synthetic line, the winch isn't too bad. It's how you mount it. Again, with a hidden mount, you only add another 25 lbs or so. It's the full bumper that'll get you.

ITSSignature2.png

#17 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

I have an ARB Sahara bar on my Tundra and didn't measure any difference in ride height over my factory bumper.
  • MightyP likes this

#18 xjmv

xjmv

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:10 AM

Larger possible tow strap long enough to roll around your tire, then a strap or a chain to get to trees. Set the short strap around your tire in choker then hook to a tree. Get in you vehicle set it to drive or reverse and let the vehicle get out by itself!

As for come-a-long/winch or other pricy options, you may well go for budget options, make sure to use cables or ropes, so you may buy pulleys and add leverage power! The more pulleys, the more power! If you go for ropes, make sure to use low elongation ropes (they will not stretch or stretch less).

- xJMV

Fight, Win, Prevail.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#19 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

Won't work if you have open diffs

0 user(s) are reading this topic