8 replies to this topic

#1 JFergus7

JFergus7

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

Alright I have searched the forums and didn't find anything on this so I thought I would ask.  Do any of you keep a log book on your training?  I don't make it to the range as much as I would like to anymore since I am so busy with kids and work I was thinking it would be a good idea to start keeping a log book.  Thinking it would be good to be able to look and see what has been happening and have a record of things not to include just range time but classes, etc...

For any of you that do keep a log book what are you using?  I found a few online but not able to see the actual pages I am not sure if I should just get one and try it or just make up my own.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 ffemtp

ffemtp

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

I use this Rite in the Rain: http://amzn.to/1JQcrIE along with this pen: http://amzn.to/1JQcunV They work great together. IMHO

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:01 AM

I used to. But not for personal range time anymore. If it's a certified class, or any paid class really, I keep them all in a folder in my safe.

#4 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:28 AM

I keep copies of all my certs, but i don't record training, formal or informal.

#5 ffemtp

ffemtp

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

I use my log to plan and check off drills. Opinion alert: Chris Sajnog opined in his videos that not planning your day at the range was just playing at the range. I tend to agree. I used to find myself trying to think of things to do and ended up just wasting ammo. With a plan, I know what I will do and it shows me what I need to continue to work on.

#6 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:49 AM

I want to say travis halry said the same thing as well once about unorganized vs organized range trips. In either event, here's a fairly extensive drill he posted a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/Zi5eZqc9H7I

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#7 JFergus7

JFergus7

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

Your link doesn't work

#8 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

I use my log to plan and check off drills. Opinion alert: Chris Sajnog opined in his videos that not planning your day at the range was just playing at the range. I tend to agree. I used to find myself trying to think of things to do and ended up just wasting ammo. With a plan, I know what I will do and it shows me what I need to continue to work on.

Warm up with a round of dot torture. Time it. 50 rounds

25 rounds slow fire to focus on fundamentals.

25 rounds rapid fire failure drills from the holster.

From the holster reload and malfunction drills with dummy rounds. 50 rounds

50 rounds to misc drills or whatever you need to work on. Weak hand, one hand, behind the back and upside down.

Another 50 on dot torture for time.

250 total rounds.

Pick up your carbine and start training with it after :D

Training ruined guns for me. I carry a glock 24/7 for work and carry. I see any time spent with another gun as a missed opportunity to train with my fighting weapon. Haven't shot my 1911s in 2 years. Love how they shoot, but range time is precious.

I guess it's the "beware the man with 1 gun" thing. I've got glocks i train with, my main AR, my main bolt gun, and my main shotgun. All my other guns are safe queens.

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

Your link doesn't work

take two: this time with feeling.

https://youtu.be/Zi5eZqc9H7I

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users