• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:11 AM

I second Dale Carnegie and How to Make Friends and Influence People. It's been working for 75 years give or take a decade. It's quite a nice read as well particularly if you're a history enthusiast.

I might also recommend Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman or any of the less verbose versions of EI texts.

Joe Navarro's What Every BODY is Saying is helpful.

And remember to "engineer" the right audience. Not everyone is capable of supporting your desired cause. There was a book I read few years ago called something like Winning Every Time... It was written by a Fox legal analyst and the premise was in using courtroom methodology to win at convincing someone else to do something, I.e. know what you want to convey, what you'll likely be met with in return, if you've chosen the right audience, et al.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 18 June 2016 - 06:12 AM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#22 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

I found this website today between patients. Interesting reading material. It looks like a great into to social engineering.

http://www.social-en...ral-discussion/
  • PsychoFish likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#23 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

I do it at work every day talking to criminals. I always start by building rapport and stay away from any info about my goal. Then I start probing with things they'll feel safe and comfortable talking about to get their guard down. Then I slip in a question here and there that fringe around the info I ultimately want. This is gonna give me an idea of what the answer is before they even give it to me, and will tell me if they're lying when they do give it to me. Keep the rapport up and the guard down, and eventually get to what you want. How you phrase things is very important.

Never read any books on it. I think it's more of a skill learned through practice.

People are way too trusting... Just look at all the type your answer copy pasted face book surveys. A bunch of innocent questions camouflaging common security questions often phrased in a way most people won't recognize them as such.
  • sliestfish likes this

#24 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

No, I think delving into present literature definitely augments the practice.

When I was in LE, I doubt anyone had heard about social engineering at least in my area. I do recall going to a Reid seminar and everyone getting jazzed up about that. It seems like a week later I was looking at a 400 slide presentation about CID data analysis punctuated with peculiar photos of murder-suicide scenes.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#25 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

A very long time ago, at behest of a comrade, I finished about half of this book called The Game. It was a pick up chicks book from this fella that was in the limelight for a bit on VH1 or MTV or one of those channels that catered to the young and not particularly bright crowd.

Long story short, I seem to remember there being a big emphasis in the book about how to approach individuals (women in the book) who don't want to be approached. It didn't seem like a full proof method as I only witnessed it work about 50% of the time when my previously mentioned comrade use it. On top of that he only really employed the authors methodology in social settings bars, clubs, etc.

I gotta figure social engineering is skill set that requires a toolbox. So, maybe there are some tools you can pull and pluck for your social engineering tool box from the sleazy subject matter?

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/0061995320

Let the rousing for having read a pick up chicks book commence!

ZCxCkIx.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users