8 replies to this topic

#1 Bodi_R578

Bodi_R578

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcarrying the flag of freedom

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hello from the great country of Texas!!, yes I'm am a native Texan and damn proud of it. I found this web site while searching for and admin pocket for my IOTV because I was tired of digging though my cargo pockets.... As I was looking though the site I found a great many things that grabbed my interest. I've been looking on here for a while.  I do like the articles written, however have found that nothing beats first hand experience. So here I am to try and find more people like myself looking to expand his/her skill set base. I am currently Active duty Army but will be out soon and headed back home. While I was in the Army the need for many of the skills reviewed here became apparent and I have set out to learn them. The profile pic you see and the name I have chosen are that of my K-9 Bodi. Bodi and I were explosive detections team.  No I'm not an MP or an engineer. I'm open to criticism, questions and any tips of the trade.

" No one ever won a war by drying for there country, they made the other poor dumb bastard die for his" 

"acta non verba"

Edited by Bodi_R578, 24 January 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

Welcome aboard!

#3 Bodi_R578

Bodi_R578

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcarrying the flag of freedom

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

thank you sir, pleasure to be here.

#4 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

Welcome aboard!

89BccLb.png

#5 ABN Whiskey

ABN Whiskey

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

I'm a new Crew Leader. I also love learning anything new that makes me someone that can be depended on in the field. I've worked on all kinds of crazy fire starts.

When I mention a primitive fire start, often the response is, "Well why don't you just use a Bic or a match?" DAH!  I use to get a bit annoyed but these days I just say, "Because I learned how to strike matches when I was a child." Unique fire starts save lives.

I practiced one fire start which involved scraping the gear casing of an abandoned motorcycle to collect a pile of metal shavings that lite up like magnesium on a Ferro(cerium) rod. It's works well in a pinch.

I grew up near Yosemite on a cattle ranch and civilians often think I'm "unique" because I want to be competent in the field. Another quote, "We have GPS Gayle why would you buy a compass?"  #1 Because I'm not a lazy learner. #2 GPS has to link up to four satellites, #3 I can function without electricity and survive #4 while I may be a Grandmother of six they are some of the most protected kids in the US because I'm Airborne.

• littleninja likes this

#6 littleninja

littleninja

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:46 AM

Welcome aboard, Gayle! 

n0Q3KCI.png?1

#7 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:32 AM

Welcome aboard!

#8 ABN Whiskey

ABN Whiskey

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:14 PM

My daughter Blair Hughes is a Post 9/11 Caregiver for her Wounded Warrior husband. Jonah was in the infantry for 16 1/2 years. He was hit by 10 IED's and in the hospital at Landstuhl/Ramstein for 3 1/2 years with brain trauma injury. Four kids.

Second daughter, Patty, is currently living on Charleston AFB with husband Ben (in for 12 years) who's a plane refuel-er. Two kids.

I graduated from jump school at Ft. Bennning, GA (1977) was in 82nd Airborne for a short time and then on to Ft. Devens, MA ASA (Army Security Agency) TRADOC MI. 

My husband Kevin was stationed at Synop, Turkey. Taught electronic surveillance to FNG's. He's no longer with us. 

The article below is about my family,

Gayle

Washington Post Article

The Hughes family

http://www.washingto...0506_story.html

#9 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:26 PM