#1 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

Hi everyone,

I had purchased a GunVault Deluxe handgun safe years ago (way before I had learned about how easy they are to circumvent). I want a safe that, once mounted, I don't have to worry as much about pry attacks, the removal of the key pad, defeat by paper clip, etc.

Does anyone recommend a substantial, difficult to defeat/compromise bed-side safe? I would like to hear pros and cons everyone has with different models.

Thanks!

Chris

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM (I will either find a way, or make one.) - Hannibal

ITS Life Member and Crew Leader

Owner and Principal Instructor - at, Immediate Action Outfitters, LLC www.facebook.com/ImmediateActionOutfitters

#2 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:52 PM

I dont think you will find a satisfactorily resistant safe that wont fill half the room. And it certainly wouldn't have the quick access that something like a gunvault has. I would instead look into security through obscurity. There are a number of covert firearms storage solutions on the market these days. Obviously you lose lock security but you gain the fact that most people wouldn't look at it twice. Maybe something like below. A quick google search will bring up other options as well.

http://www.covertcab...-shelves-hg-21/

Another option, maybe you could mount that gunvault in a hidden area or between the mattress and box spring. Or even hide it in one of the storage shelve options just in case you have kids in the house.

#3 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

...I'm still holding-out hope... And I need the security more than I need the concealment.

Thanks, though!

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM (I will either find a way, or make one.) - Hannibal

ITS Life Member and Crew Leader

Owner and Principal Instructor - at, Immediate Action Outfitters, LLC www.facebook.com/ImmediateActionOutfitters

#4 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

Fort Knox and AmSec have pistol boxes equipped with Simplex mechanical locks that seem interesting and more secure than any biometric, digital  or keyed options. Like smokey inferred, reasonably sized quick access and strong resistance to tool attacks tend to be mutually exclusive and inversely proportional.

• 911 Healer likes this

#5 adamgdbt

adamgdbt

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, MN

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

I have an AmSec Defense Vault bolted to the floor under my bed.  Its an older model but it is robust and would take some work to get into. The only draw back to mine is it does not have an illuminated keypad like the newer models and the keys beep if your looking for discrete access. When I bought the defense vault my buddy also had one of Amsec's Handgun security PB3 in store and It was nice and also very solid.  He doesn't like the simplex locks bc of their mechanical nature they don't have a penalty lock out like the electronic locks. And given enough time can be bypassed... which is all relative escp when I personally have a basement full of tools... security is relative, out of site out of mind, and a solid safe is best

I would definitely buy another AmSec. I did a lot of looking before I bought this and talked to my buddy a lot about the options and differences between them all.  I chose this to hold me over until I can afford one of their gun safes.

• 911 Healer likes this

#6 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:00 AM

What you tend to be preventing with a gun safe, short of something that should more properly be called a vault, you mainly prevent a smash and grab or access by kids.  A determined professional criminal will likely have cased your place and know you have firearms and if they want them they will come prepared although it may be loud.  Keep in mind if someone wants your little pistol safe its only as strong as whatever you secure it to.  Even a meth head won't have too much problem knocking through a couple 2x4s protected by sheet rock hell they might even gnaw through them and just take the whole safe with them. 

• 911 Healer and mackguy like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users