8 replies to this topic

#1 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:55 PM

Hey guys, I'm hoping you, fellow members of the gear enabler union can help me out with a future purchase.

I'm trying to decide on a new pair of boots for general hiking and to sit in my trunk on standby in case i need to activate my get home bag and walk my happy ass for a few miles through some canyons and hills to get to the house.

I'm currently looking hard at the Lowa Z-6S GTX boots because theyre similar in size to the garmonts I currently have filling this role. I've heard good things about Lowas in general, and I've tried on another model by them and they did feel pretty comfortable. I'm more interested in how durable they aee, and the quality of their soles. I know the zephyrs dont have a vibram sole, and I've heard they get slippery fast on any wet surface and I'd like to make sure the boots I buy won't have this issue.

Thanks guys!

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

You're debating leaving the Garmont fan club?!

BLASPHEMY! BURN THE HERETIC!

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

You're debating leaving the Garmont fan club?!

BLASPHEMY! BURN THE HERETIC!

Lol, I wish extreme outfitters still carried the t4. I got the pair I own back on halloween in 2011 and they havent failed me yet, even on a rushed death hike in may 2014 in petra.

#4 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

Lol, I wish extreme outfitters still carried the t4. I got the pair I own back on halloween in 2011 and they havent failed me yet, even on a rushed death hike in may 2014 in petra.

I miss having that store close by. Seriously I'd kill for a similar outfit back home. I also bought some Garmont GTX from them. Still kicking. I wish I bought a pair in black.

Edited by Jersey0311, 06 February 2016 - 10:02 PM.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#5 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

Yep. I still order from them online. It's where I got my suunto vector last year. I think the vip10 code might still work. I want to say my garmonts were on a pretty heavy discount. Had i known, i would have boucht 2 or 3 more pairs to last the rest of my life. Amazon has the desert non-gtx models for sale, and the non tactical models as well.

#6 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Psy,

what did you decide to do? i'm looking for a similar set of boots. i looked at the Garmonts and there are various GTX models. Which ones did you have? 

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#7 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

Probably going to pull the trigger on the lowas, their non-tactical renegades felt very nice in rei, and the only thing that kept me from buying them was the open eye hooks on the boots. I currently have the garmont t4 gtx. Feels great, its basically a tactical high top shoe, I'll still continue to use it regardless.

#8 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

Probably going to pull the trigger on the lowas, their non-tactical renegades felt very nice in rei, and the only thing that kept me from buying them was the open eye hooks on the boots. I currently have the garmont t4 gtx. Feels great, its basically a tactical high top shoe, I'll still continue to use it regardless.

Check. i'm looking for a new pair of "work" boots i can wear to the field for service calls or out in the shop. I'm done with Ariat work boots. i've gone thru 3 pair in 2 years. either the soles separate or the stitching busts somewhere. i've got one pair that's less than 6 months old and all the stitching on the heal cap busted loose. customer service has been less than helpful.

Ariat cowboy boots are great tho...

VR

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

Garmonts should do just fine for that and are cheaper than lowas as well, I think. I hiked all over petra in mine for a couple hours in the jordanian heat at a good clip with no problems. Also been wearing them since oct 2012 without any real problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lowa, Boots, Hiking, Walk of shame

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users