6 replies to this topic

#1 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

Just curious as I sometimes stumble upon a thread that was brought back to life, and see that the moderators have closed it due to a "rule" that long dead threads be allowed to stay dead, and that if you want to talk about that subject, feel free to start a new thread.

Just curious where the logic here is, as this is complete opposite of basically any other forum I've been on.  I can't count the number of time's I've seen a n00b post a thread and the first 10 responses are some variation of

"you idiot, why don't you use the search feature, this was discussed sometime 5 years ago, and if you weren't so useless you'd go find that thread, and comment on it if neccessary, never ever ever under any circumstance dare to post a new thread on a topic that has been discussed sometime in the past on this forum!!!!" 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I much prefer the freedom to create a new thread rather than spend 3 hrs going through pages of search results trying to find match to the exact thing I want to discuss, I just found it odd that this forum encourages you to create new threads while all the others treat creation of new threads like a new 90% tax on unemployed disabled veteran octogenarians.

#2 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

I don't know much behind it, other that it's something Bryan himself stressed to the mods.
  • LongHaul likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

Specifically the issue as I see it is that 90% of the time what someone does is just post something like 'thanks' or 'cool' basically contributing nothing to the discussion but brining that thread back to the top.  We fully support reading the thread but just not bringing something back to life when chances are there is no contribution. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

This is what brought it to my attention, from http://itstactical.c...ge-2#entry46462

The bolded portion is what I'm talking about... I don't think I've ever seen a forum encourage you to start a new thread on the same topic...  Again not complaining, just curious.

from DeathwatchDoc

On ITS we generally try to leave long idle threads to rest in peace and this thread has been resting comfortably since 8 December 2014.

A lot of forums do this through automated lockouts, but on ITS we believe our membership can show excellent judgement and such arbitrary methods are not necessary. If you have something to add to the conversation or wish to get it started up again, you are welcome to start a new thread.

There are, of course, exceptions to this rule, in the case of our long standing discussion threads, the introduction thread, or regional check in threads, we understand that there will be long gaps in the conversation (especially in regions with little active representation). We also understand when thread starters wish to update their brothers on what has transpired since the thread was started. 

Thanks for your help keeping this forum epic! If you have any questions, feel free to contact myself or the other moderators.

Doc

#5 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply... its been one of those days.

Our experience has been that when someone reopens a long idle thread, more often then not, they add nothing. When they have to start a new thread to renew the conversation, they often have a good reason or personal interest in reviving the conversation and we all benefit from that. 

• LongHaul and EMSWxSAR like this

89BccLb.png

#6 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the response, It's actually one of my more favorite things about this forum... just found it odd.  

The worst is when you'd get the 10 responses about running a search (which you probably already tried) telling you that this has been discussed and resolved, but nobody can actually post a link to the previous discussion.  

Sorry it took me so long to reply... its been one of those days.

Our experience has been that when someone reopens a long idle thread, more often then not, they add nothing. When they have to start a new thread to renew the conversation, they often have a good reason or personal interest in reviving the conversation and we all benefit from that. 

#7 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:41 AM

Unless they add nothing to the conversation I just brush it under the rug.

Rules are rules I suppose, so I just act like I didn't see it =)

I've never hidden the fact that don't mind Necroposting if it follows the original vein of the thread.

There are SEO arguments both for and against reviving old threads though, and maybe that is where the initial intent of locking old threads comes in.

When a website is trying to improve it's SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and search results new content is king.

If google parses a website and sees static old content it moves on in an effort to find new content.

It's essentially how "NEWS" is generated in today's internet society and can be (and is) exploited.

When enough websites have new content discussing a horrific tragedy googles analytics go "PING!  All of these trusted news content sites have mention of a tragedy, it must be NEWS!"  and it bumps the content up the search engine results, only to be trumped by paid advertisement until the results override an invisible revenue barrier.

In a small way these forums having new content have an impact on the search results because content considered too old have long since fallen off of googles radar.

• MightyP likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users