• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jbaxdives

jbaxdives

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:31 AM

I'm trying to wrap a "going-away" paddle for one of my buddys and I like this american flag wrap I found, but I don't know how to do the red and white part. The blue field with stars is easy as well as the turks heads, but I can't seem to find any information on the red and white wrap. Any help?

Attached Files

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:05 AM

It's cool I'll give you that.  Hopefully someone here can help.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

It looks to me like the red braid was completed first. It's anchored at the throat. The red braid is woven into the anchor, The white background looks like a simple whip that is brought through the red braid to secure it down. I suspect that on the back side the red braid is secured into the blue mid anchor in a similar fashion to the bottom. The blue section with the white points looks again to be a simple whip. The white would just be a long piece of paracord wrapped exposing sections. With the blue anchor at the top securing and hiding the ugly bits. 

i think I figured out the method of the braiding for the red piece, but I'm not 100% on it. I was planning it with a single piece of paracord which would get ugly quick. looking at it again, it might be an well done 6 strand braid. I'd say you would want to complete that weave with a 2x4 or some piece of wood underneath it to control and anchor it so you can keep it very flat.

I would guess only the outside edges of the red braid are captured by the white whipping. Weaving it all the way through the braid would be problematic at best and likely affect how the braid lies as well. 

At least that how it appears to me. Does that make sense to you?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paracord, survival

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users