7 replies to this topic

#1 Rulrofelves

Rulrofelves

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMid-California

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

I am wanting to buy a rifle to shoot 1K or farther.  I have been looking at the getting the Remington 700 Long Range(300 Win Mag, 26").  I have found it at my home outfitters in Grand Junction, Co. for $699.  The price check was done around last Thanksgiving, so price may have been adjusted.  I would have to go back to Co. to buy anything worth while.  I have also been turned on to Lucid scopes.  Amazon is selling the Lucid scope 6-24x50MM for $353 and change.  The only thing I haven't really looked into was a good bipod. 

So, the questions go out to the long range shoots out there.

1. Does anyone have experience with either of those products?  The 700 has been around and has proven itself, but I was wanting to get some feedback.  Also, I know Lucid is really inexpensive compared to name brands.  I would rather buy quality upfront, but don't want to shell out 1k or more for a piece of glass.

2. Bipods?  I have heard of Atlas, but I have no experience with bipods.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do
anything with nothing." Unknown

#2 ffemtp

ffemtp

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:19 PM

This might save you some tax (if it's the right one, you'll save some money on the price as well): http://howardsguns.c...6-31-syn-stk-ss I purchased my 700 from them and had a positive experience. Quality customer service & fast shipping.

• Rulrofelves likes this

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:07 AM

I gave myself a new years resolution this year to hit targets at 600 yards, with 1000 yards pending on range availability... so I set out this year to build a rifle to do just that.

I purchased the Ruger Precision based on very positive reviews and opinions from people I consider experts in the field.  Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off with the Remington 700, but I have not shot this rifle yet so I can't be sure.  You can't go wrong with the 700, just make sure it's the caliber and action you want.

Bi-Pod: I went with an Atlas Bi-Pod and there too I am wondering if I went way overkill on the bi-pod purchase.  I think I'm just over $300.00 into the bi-pod and often think that I would have been just fine with the $150.00 Harris bi-pod similar to those used by our US military.... again, I have not shot with it yet so I can't be certain.

Glass: I have a REALLY hard time going cheap here.  When I look through inexpensive scopes (I put inexpensive in the 0-$600.00 range) I am disappointed every time, especially when compared to mid range or high end optics (Mid-range $600.00-1,000.00, Hi-end $1,000.00+).  I keep coming back to the NightForce 6x-20x at $1,400.00.... more than I paid for the rifle.

Go to a reputable dealer such as Cabelas if you're fortunate enough to have one in your area and try out as many as you can.  Even better if they have them on rifle stocks.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 Rulrofelves

Rulrofelves

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMid-California

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

DStevenson, I saw your post about building your rifle and didn't want to hijack your thread with all my questions.  I want to be able one day to be able to hit the 1K mark, but I don't need to right out of the box.  I'll be happy with something that will take me out a few hundred yards, and purchase something better when the funds allow me to.  I was hoping to keep everything around 1500 to start.  The only reason I considered purchasing a piece of glass this cheap was from reviews I found but for some reason cannot copy over (love government computers).  I have seen that it only has 50min adjustments, so it should be ok to start.  I would like to one day buy a nightforce, leopold, or another high end scope.

Thanks for the info on the bipod.  I don't need this for competition, but I would like to be able to upgrade to make it to be more precise when I can afford it.

What are your thoughts on the Ruger so far?

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

I've only been able to dry fire it.  I've collected about 100 rounds of ammo from various manufacturers to see what it eats up best but since I bought it months ago, it has been sitting in my safe essentially untouched.

I've decided on the glass, now I need to pick the rings and hopefully it will be ready to shoot in the next week or so.

At this point?  I'm regretting not getting a Remington 700 as it has been a money pit safe queen.

Over time I would have put the same money into upgrading the 700 but it wouldn't NEED it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#6 Rulrofelves

Rulrofelves

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMid-California

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:24 AM

Well, let me know what you think.  I am still in the planning phase and don't have any decisions completely made yet.  Thanks again brother.

#7 Rulrofelves

Rulrofelves

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMid-California

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

ffemtp, thanks for the heads up about Howard Guns.  I've never been to their site before.  I like it!

• ffemtp likes this

#8 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

I finally got a chance to mess with and shoot a ruger precision rifle after recommending them based purely on feature and I can't recommend them more the trigger is solid the ergos and the accuracy potential seemed to be there (I only fired a couple rounds out of it we never really fired it for groups but the zeroing groups we were getting with random match ammo were sub moa fired by a non-experienced precision rifle shooter.)

The 700 is prolific and you should be alright with it honestly I wouldn't get a 300 win mag though.  Its not a great caliber to learn on the recoil is going to be more significant, the ammo is more expensive, and it doesn't bring much extra to the table for hitting targets.  I would recommend a .308 first and potentially something like a 6.5 creedmoor if you can find factory ammo in your area.  

Bipod wise Atlas bipods are amazing and I love mine but a Harris BRM-S is solid as well and around half the price.

http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=brm-s

Ultimately, decide what you want to do with your rifle.  Are you looking to compete in precision rifle matches, do you just want to be able to occasionally shoot out to longer ranges on a big paper target?  Just define your end goals and i will do my best to point you towards a rifle thats best for you.  Part of the reason I tend to point people away from something like the 700 is that usually to get the peak performance out of a 700 you'll need to replace the stock with either a higher end stock or chassis system which can cost 300-1000+ on top of the cost of the base rifle (this isn't all remingtons but most of the cheaper ones have cheap stocks which can flex preventing a proper barrel free float.)  

Feel free to pm me I am always happy to talk precision rifles. 

• DStevenson likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users