#1 Section13

Section13

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:14 AM

Hello everyone!

Usually lurking here, but now I have a question to which I could find no real answer at work.

Background:

I recently started working as a probie LEO in my country (Sweden). I carry a P226 in 9mm. As per department standard the weapon is unloaded and locked up together with the radio, the OC and the mags for the gun. When I get to work I uniform up and then grab the stuff from the armory. I carry with one in the chamber, so I load up, rack it and holster. At the end of the shift I remove the mag, eject the chambered round, top the used mag off with it, and lock it all up again.

Question:

Could repeatedly doing the above damage the one round that naturally ends up being the first one all the time? I've tried to watch the round for scratches and / or damages around the back but so far haven't seen anything.

I vaguely remember reading about this topic somewhere sometime, but I can't remember if it could cause problems or not. The firearms instructor could not offer any advice on the matter.

Cheers, and stay safe!

Edited by Section13, 07 April 2016 - 04:15 AM.

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:26 AM

Section13, I've often wondered that myself so I make an effort to use those rounds every couple weeks at the range.

I shoot about 3000 9mm rounds a year from my regular handgun, but only about 100 per year in my daily carry(yeah... backwards, I know).  Because of the low round count in the daily carry that top round sees a lot of action... and by action I mean from the magazine to the chamber and back to the magazine just as you described.

I presume you're still required to hit the range and qualify with your sidearm, definitely use those rounds and get some full movement in the spring of the magazine.

But I have not personally seen any magazine or round failures even after doing the magazine-chamber-magazine cycle with the same round 50+ times.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:20 AM

The answer is yes. Repeatedly chambering the same round will cause bullet setback. Setback will cause over pressure and then bad things happen.

Rotate that round frequently. I try to not rechamber more than twice for the one round. If I'm not sure, I ditch it
  • DieselD and ETCGIB like this

#4 Beja

Beja

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

The answer is yes. Repeatedly chambering the same round will cause bullet setback. Setback will cause over pressure and then bad things happen.

This. After reading some scary stuff about setback, I only chamber the same round twice.  After the first time, it goes into the "next range trip" box.

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:01 PM

Rotating your rounds regularly and inspecting them is definitely something worthwhile to do especially in your situation where you are regularly chambering them.  I don't know how easy it is to get replacement ammo but if you can Id definitely try to swap out your duty ammo fairly regularly.  At minimum I tend to try and shuffle a chambered round down at least a few into the magazine after clearing the pistol although I tend to just leave my carry gun loaded most of the time.

• ETCGIB likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:26 AM

Now you've got me worried =)  I've done it so many times with the same round I'm afraid to use it though I've had no problems in the past.

Maybe I was lucky, maybe it was just a matter of time, but those couple rounds are now in the scrap bin at the range.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#7 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yes, setback can be really, really bad when it goes wrong, but you can see the difference between a good round and one that's set back just by comparing them. There are plenty of pictures on Google if you do a search for "bullet with setback"

serious-set-back-cover.jpg

f you want to get really technical with it, you can buy a micrometer fairly cheap and get min/max specs from the manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.co...dp/B000GSLKIW/ 

51Ur0dH00jL._SY355_.jpg

• billybogota and DieselD like this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:52 PM

That's pretty serious setback, I would hope I would notice that without a mic.

#9 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

We are supposed to carry our patrol rifles condition 3 (or "cruiser ready" as they seem to want to call it). Mine stays condition 1 at all times, but most chamber the top round, clear the rifle after the call, and do it all again the next call.

Had an officer come in and ask me how much gunpowder was in a round and if it was dangerous to be in her pocket. Confused, I asked why. She pulled out a round with the bullet inside the casing, ballistic tip snapped off, and said the powder dumped in her pocket when she put it in there.

I've tried explaining to most people on my shift about repeated chambering and setback. It was a problem in the military on occasion, but as cops, and breaking our rifles out a few times a week generally, I think they get rechambered even more often.

#10 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

I don't think this topic is too long dead to comment on.

I had this question/issue with my 1911 when I carried it.  I did notice the top round would get a bit shorter over time, so I tried to start rotating them.

In my 9mm I've started carrying Hornady Critical Duty which has a serrated ring on the bullet and a crimped case that's supposed to reduce/alleviate this issue.  

As a bonus, it groups well too

Target.jpg

• ETCGIB likes this

#11 ETCGIB

ETCGIB

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHampton Roads, VA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

+1 For rotating and for shooting with my EDC first when I hit the range.

Gib

#12 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:35 PM

I use the micrometer, too.  357 Sig is just too spendy to be wasting bullets.

While I breathe I shall defend.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 9mm, sigsauer, p226

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users