7 replies to this topic

#1 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

I just wanted to brag a bit because I'm pretty damn excited - I managed to get into Costa's HET-1 and CET-1 classes coming up next month.  And I'm going to run my CZ just to be different.

• EMSWxSAR and Fivesenenguy like this

While I breathe I shall defend.

#2 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 264 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:50 PM

Lucky... Sounds like fun

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

It will be fun.  I changed from a Costa class to a Haley class in April a couple years ago because of the location, but I'm still going to work with him again.

I'll sign up for another Costa class when I hit my 1k yard mark on my precision rifle which I set as a personal goal, I can only focus on one goal at a time.

• Fivesenenguy likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

Just a quick update - I'll do a detailed AAR when the class is complete. I just want to brag that I won the George Washington challenge today and am $24 richer. 😂

IMG_20160514_203336_edit_1463284715491.j
  • Psybain, MightyP and BTSmith10 like this

#5 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Two brags in the same thread sounds pretty douchy.  I apologize for that - I couldn't contain my excitement.

I am smoked.  Two classes with a day recovery in between is intense.  I'm bruised, bloody, and physically as well as mentally spent.  But it was worth every single penny and bullet, for sure.  Chris is a fantastic instructor; down to earth, funny, and highly knowledgeable.  I'll break the class down by day and my observations from same.

Carbine day one:

The day started out at the gun shop that hosted the course, Tier 1 Guns, to get paperwork sorted, and then we caravanned to the range, which was about an hour away from my house.  Pretty darn reasonable, and it was nice to go to my own bed every night.  Chris was already there and went around shaking hands and meeting all of us while we got our kit ready.  Not knowing what to expect, I didn't have any mags loaded - I'm used to having odd magazine ammo counts in the Air Force qualification, so I just figured I'd wait and see.  First observation - come to class with all your mags loaded, so you're not that guy everyone is waiting on.  Second observation - MagLula's are worth their weight in unobtainium. Chris gave his introduction and safety brief, and we all introduced ourselves.  I was the only military or LE guy there, which I was surprised with.  We did have a couple guys from Aero Precision (AR manufacturer in Tacoma), but most everyone else was Joe Citizen just wanting to hone their skills.  Chris had a co-instructor/photographer, Austin, with him as well, and she took heaps of picture and video as well as acted as a range official and gave assistance as needed.  Pretty much the first half of the day was getting optics and irons zeroed at 50m.  I didn't catch any flak for still running an EOTech, and I found it was actually a pretty ideal optic for the class in terms of precision.  I honestly think I'm going to keep it rather than get a refund.  I just really like it.  After zeroing, we brought it close, and Chris explained mechanical offset at close distance.  He then literally shot a fly off a target at about 10m.  He went over different stances and grips, with the c-clamp of course being his preferred method.  He never said you had to do it a certain way - he offered suggestions, often times multiple ways, and said that it was up to the shooter to determine what was best for them.  We shot standing, kneeling, and prone for speed and accuracy from 10m back to 50m, practicing rapid and tac reloads as well.  It's pretty badass when you get the mag flip down well.  Around 1530, we stopped to police brass, then headed home for the day.

Carbine day two:

Started out with a quick zero check, then did the dollar challenge.  Well over half the dollars that I won didn't even have holes in them - the shot was from 25m, and people promptly forgot about mechanical offset, which is about two inches at that range.  The one MOA dot on the EOTech really helped out.  We then went through weapon malfunctions and stoppages.  Failure to feed/failure to fire, double feed, brass over bolt, etc.  We ran a drill where your partner set up a malfunction, then you would run down, attempt to fire, then clear the malfunction.  I didn't fully clear a double feed and jammed the rounds even further into the chamber with my triple rack, and I ended up having to use my Leatherman to strip them out (with Chris over my shoulder, of course).  After that, we practiced distance shooting, from kneeling and sitting supported positions.  He taught a kneeling position where you stick your support side knee between the magazine and the grip.  Kind of hard to explain without a picture, I suppose, but I found it extremely stable and was tagging 8" steel no problem at 200m.  We also did urban prone and left and right handed shooting.  Guns were starting to go down, and it was fortunate that most people brought a second rifle.  I did not - I brought a spare bolt/carrier and some trigger springs, but I only have one AR, so I run what I brung.  I had no issues whatsoever save my rear BUIS adjustment screw came loose and I almost lost the detent and spring.  Fortunately, someone had a spare set of allen keys and I got it squared away.

Carbine day three:

Quick zero check again to start things off, then another dollar challenge, which I was super close, but another guy (running an EOTech as well) beat me by millimeters.  I was a bit more off the second day - I rushed the shot as he gave us only 15 seconds instead of 30 the day before, and I knew that it was a smidge off as soon as the rifle fired.  We added pistols into the mix today within 25m, and I got a chuckle out of Chris for my CZ.  I just got a Deltapoint for it, and he'd never seen one with an optic before.  I'll go more into that in pistol, but overall I'm pretty happy with the combo.  After that iteration, Chris went into his mindset lecture, which really hit home for me as a father.  I mean, I always carry a pistol when I'm out, and I keep my situational awareness, but Chris's words rung home for me as the provider and protector of my family.  You'll have to experience it for yourself.  We then spent a good chunk of time blasting paper bad guys from multiple positions and utilizing secondary transitions when necessary.  Right before breaking for lunch, we did a speed/accuracy drill on steel, with Aero donating an upper of choice to the winner.  Five shots on one steel silhouette, rapid reload, five more shots on the next, rapid reload, then five and five out of a ten round mag.  If you miss a shot, you automatically lose.  Fastest time wins.  Well, my buddy goes first, and shoots clean at about 30 seconds.  A few more people go, and each one of them drop at least one shot.  I take my turn, and crank it up a bit and shot clean at 24 seconds.  Ten or so more people shoot, each one of them dropping a shot or two.  I'm getting pretty excited by this point - thinking how nice a new .300 BLK SBR would be.  Then my hopes are dashed by a guy that just crushed me by four seconds.  So close - second place, but if you're not first, you're last.  The rest of the day rounded out with two and four man movement drills on steel, and a time/accuracy relay race.  At the end, Chris handed out certificates and coins, we cleaned up the range, and said our goodbyes.

Everyone ran an AR of some type, save one guy that started with a 16" UMP .45 with a can which wouldn't group a damn, but it was sure quiet.  He gave up on that on the second day.  A gal used a Tavor for a bit, but it started having trigger issues and she went back to her AR for the rest of the class.  A lot of guys were using cans, and I'm still getting used to seeing them.  It's nice to be next to a guy with one rather than a double port comp.  My AR is a BCM lower/ VLTOR upper and a LaRue MT-25 trigger, chromed MPI'd bolt/bolt carrier, Centurion Arms 14.5" barrel with mid-length gas system and a BattleComp 1.5 pinned and welded to make it legal.  The only cleaning I did was to wipe the bolt down and run a boresnake through it, then lube it back up with FrogLube every night.  I had zero issues save a couple double feeds, which I think were user induced.  I used Wolf Gold .223, which I was very pleased with at $305/case and free shipping from Sportsman's Guide.  I used a variety of magazines from Magpul (V2 windowed), Lancer (tan) and Troy.  I had my double feed issues with the Troy magazines and the MagLula didn't like them either, so they are going to get blue paint treatment and a demotion to the training bin.  I wore an HSGI battle belt with Tacos for magazines as well as my First Spear Strandhogg plate carrier.  Most people wore a belt with varying kydex or taco pouches, and a few wore chest rigs, but I was the only one with actual plates.

Overall, the course was very useful.  It was an introductory course, but it exposed some weaknesses and reinforced good habits as well.  It is a tool for learning - don't expect to come out of this an elite ninja sniper, but with more training tools to utilize on your own.

Pistol to follow.

• Psybain and ETCGIB like this

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Great AAR, I'm sure I'll see the pictures pretty soon, Chris is really good about putting them up on his facebook page.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#7 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 264 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

Loved your AAR. Sounded like an awesome class.

#8 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:10 AM

Excellent AAR.

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users