3 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

I am getting closer to taking the plunge on a primary weapon. Yes, I'm that rare person on here who doesn't own a rifle. Well, now we're getting to one of those times when things are going to get squirrely as the possibility of Hillary being elected sinks in. So I'd like to get a rifle, but need a safe first. My safes are less about preventing thieves from taking my weapons and more about keeping little hands off them. I've seen some pretty good deals for safes on craigslist. Other than the potential downfalls of every interaction on Craigslist, anything I should look for when buying a used safe?

Thanks

Edited by MightyP, 26 May 2016 - 08:47 AM.

• GrizCo likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 GrizCo

GrizCo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

I just bought a rifle a few weeks ago. I've spent most of my life in the military and seeing that the arms room had anything I needed, I never bought my own rifle. I've also had enough deployments that the rifle hunting I enjoyed as a teen, lost it's appeal, so I bought a bow. I applied for 2 tax stamps five months ago and finally put together a BCM 300 Blackout SBR with Suppressor. I've cleared so many rooms in my life that it feels more natural than my 1911 for home defense. I have a 9 year old step son who we have every other week. I was in the same boat considering a safe but decided on a rifle bag that I can lock the zippers. It slides nicely under the bed for quick access at night and I toss it in my jeep when I head to work. It doubles as a range bag, holds my pistols also. Condor Rifle Bag

• MightyP likes this

#3 ffemtp

ffemtp

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

There are a lot of considerations for someone when purchasing and properly using/setting up a safe. I know you said it was less about thieves, but what about fire? Will you use it to store private, important documents in lieu of a safety deposit box? Even some advertised fire-rated safes are not necessarily "fire-rated". Consider that paper/wood burns at 450 degrees F and it can easily reach 1200F in an "everyday" house fire. You don't want to open your safe and find ash.

Just food for thought! Good luck!

• mangeface likes this

#4 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:16 AM

If your concern is just to keep little hands away from your rifle you can pick up some cheap security cabinet from home depot. In fact I would almost suggest a cheap solution like that. If you end up getting more guns you arent out too much compared to a real safe. And if you keep it at one rifle and you dont worry about people breaking in then you arent spending the cost of a rifle or solid optic on a safe. 

Personally when I think of buying a safe on craigslist I would just imagine that that dude knows my combination or might have a key. Combinations can obviously be redone or re-keyed on some locks so you would want to see if that is an option for whatever model you are getting.

Honestly I wouldnt think there is much to consider given your goals of preventing child access. Maybe weight and size so you can move it as needed in your house but obviously you dont need the fire protection or incredible locks that some safes have. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users