9 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

I need to replace my cheapo red gas cans again. They last me a few years and start falling apart. I'd like to get something better without going broke in the process.

First choice would be the Scepter MFCs. Fit in jerry can holders, insanely durable and don't weigh as much as a metal jerry cans. Problem is, they don't meet California's standard, so apparently that means they can't be sold in the other 49 states. EBay has em for $110+ each, which is stupid.

Second choice would be Rotopax, but they're also really expensive and don't hold as much gas.

Last option I can think of are metal jerry cans. At $25ish per, they're a relative bargain, but they weigh a ton.

Any suggestions? Anyone tried ordering Scepter cans from Canada and having them shipped to a military address?

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

DS Tactical has them for $69.99 seems to be the best deal out there on them or amazon for $110 with free shiping.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#3 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

DS Tactical has them for $69.99 seems to be the best deal out there on them or amazon for $110 with free shiping.

I actually ordered them from DS Tactical, but, from what I've read, they don't ship to the US. I'll update when I find out.

ITSSignature2.png

#4 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

Nice! I wonder how long of a drive it would be for me to head up there lol.

• MightyP likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#5 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

DS Tactical just responded saying they can't ship the Scepter MFCs to the US. I responded by asking if they'd ship to a military address. We'll see...

ITSSignature2.png

#6 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

And I discovered that even though she works on a base, my wife's work address doesn't look like it. Grr...

ITSSignature2.png

#7 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

I work with Canadian hockey players for a large part of the year. This fall I may just give one of them some cash to order for me and have it sent to their home. A lot of our guys are from Ontario, heck Toronto is under 3 hours from me
  • MightyP likes this

#8 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:33 PM

DS Tactical sells them for $70CAN ($55USD) and will ship them anywhere in Canada. They sell on eBay for $110-$130, plus shipping. Real, NATO, metal jerry cans sell for $80, including shipping. If you want high quality fuel cans, this is the way to go.

So... A friend of mine said he'd be happy to go to Canada for a weekend trip, but he likes exploring, so he doesn't have an address where he stays. He finds a place when he gets there. (overlanding at its finest) So now I need to find a place where I can ship a package and have it held until he gets there.

I'm getting closer... I think

ITSSignature2.png

#9 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

Nope. They won't ship to any address in the USA. Not even a military one. Grr...

The plus side is I may have found a surplus store that has them for a reasonable price. I really hope it's what I think it is as it's a 3 hour drive from me.

I'm at the point where these cans probably aren't worth the effort, but I hate failure and quitting now would definitely feel like failure. Ugh.

Edited for crappy predictive text.

Edited by MightyP, 03 July 2016 - 04:18 PM.

ITSSignature2.png

#10 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

I know you didn't want the metal ones, but I've always been partial to these:

http://www.jerrycan.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users