Well guys, I'm taking the plunge here in a few months and getting married! For our honeymoon we are taking a cruise to the Bahamas. Neither of us have been on a cruise before, or to the Bahamas before, so I figured this would be a fun trip.
With that being said, my inner emergency alarms are sounding a red alert. Cruise ships can be a dangerous place! Just off the top of my head, here are a few risks we could face:
- Close quarters with 2,000 +/- people.
- Poor hygiene; Potential for rapid spread of disease.
- Dependent upon systems of ship (propulsion, electricity, water, sewer, fire protection, food, security, climate control, health services, etc.).
- Limited escape options from a ship in the middle of the ocean.
- Vulnerable due to state of relaxation, complacency, and/or alcohol.
- Limited EDC options (ship prohibits guns, knives, tasers, pepper spray, batons, handcuffs, etc.).
- Long distance to definitive medical care (i.e. trauma surgeon).
- Stories of passengers being robbed, kidnapped, raped, or scammed by ship crew or other passengers.
- Unfamiliarity with Bahamas culture, people, legal system, and geography.
- No cell phone service - if we are separated we are without communication, no communication with mainland America*
- Hurricanes / tropical storms
- Russian torpedoes
- I'm sure there are many more risks I haven't thought of yet.
Have any of you been on a cruise before? Please share your experiences!How would you protect yourself or minimize these risks? What would you pack in your suitcase? I want to ensure a safe, romantic, enjoyable honeymoon, and I would appreciate any advice y'all could throw me. Thanks!
* I am planning to keep phones turned off anyway - We're going on a cruise to get away from it all. But should an emergency arise it would be nice to have some form of communication. Cell service on these ships or international areas is prohibitively expensive.