9 replies to this topic

#1 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:55 AM

Anti-gun dribble aside, here's a cool look into the process of tracing a gun involved in a crime. It's 21 pages long, so be ready to spend some time reading it.

http://www.gq.com/st...y-too-many-guns

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:08 AM

Ok, I'm about 3 pages in and it's very interesting so far... a lot I didn't know and was very surprised to hear.

It seems well written, almost like a murder/mystery novel.. I'll be ticked if I get to the end and find out it's all made up.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

The more I read, and the little video at the end kind of summed it up but it seemed like it had a liberal skew to it.

Here is where you may say I'm liberal (I'm not), but I think not having a searchable database is ridiculous.  I have the belief if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide.

The NRA argument (among others) is if the database is searchable they can quickly find everyone that has a weapon and confiscate them.... hell, they could do that now with the catalog system they have if they really wanted to.

But the current system is embarrassing and one of the reasons my support for the NRA is waning, sometimes it's just too much and they just go overboard.

Edited by DStevenson, 31 August 2016 - 08:25 AM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

There's two reasons I don't want a database.

1. It's none of their business. But whatever, like you said, nothing to hide etc.

2. It's a huge waste of money. I'm tired of our taxes going to BS things when so little goes to serious matters

#5 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

A searchable database is only useful AFTER a crime has been committed.

Murder is illegal in every jurisdiction, with the harshest penalties society will impose. If someone is willing to do a killing with those repercussions, a misdemeanor gun law will have zero effect.

The "nothing to hide" argument assumes we are worthy of suspicion until proven otherwise, counter to innocent until proven guilty.
  • DieselD, MightyP, pira114 and 1 other like this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

I'd first like to know why the guy in the picture is wearing his pistol crossfire.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:04 AM

I'd first like to know why the guy in the picture is wearing his pistol crossfire.

He watches too much Walking Dead.

I never understood it.

The only time it makes sense to me is if you're seated in a car and want to crossdraw for easier access.

#8 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:01 PM

I just realized my autocorrect changed crossdraw to crossfire, lol. Either way, it seems like a good fit.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#9 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:18 AM

I just realized my autocorrect changed crossdraw to crossfire, lol. Either way, it seems like a good fit.

I figured as much... I knew what you meant to say =)

Edited by DStevenson, 07 September 2016 - 05:18 AM.

#10 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

Maybe he moved it to look cool? I could be wrong, but it seems almost like he put his weapon on specifically for the picture. He looks very... GQ in the picture. Wouldn't surprise me if his firearm setup was just for the reporter.
  • ArkansasFan likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atf, martinsburg, 4473, trace, national tracing center, gun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users