Photo

AR Optics - Red Dot or Rifle Scope, or both?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:40 AM

Lifelong Iron Sight shooter transitioning to optics...bear with me.

Found a good deal and purchased a Red Dot Sight as well as a 4x Scope.  Is it practical to keep one on, keep the other on standby, and switch as needed?  Or is it better to stick with one?

What do YOU do?  Fill in the gaps, take me to school. 

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:31 AM

To me, those fill totally different needs. My red dot stays on full time on my "fighting" rifle. My scopes stay full time on my hunting or target rifles.

If you plan to shoot both on one rifle, it's possible. But figure probably the red dot for defense purposes, so it'll stay on most of the time. For hunting or fun target shooting, put the scope on. You can utilize quality mounts that should keep your optics zero.
  • ETCGIB likes this

#3 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:08 AM

I run a red dot. I learned to shoot irons and be deadly out to 500 with them. That's 1x with a bunch of steel obstructing your view. I can shoot even better with a red dot. If I needed magnification, I'd probably get a flip up 3x magnifier. Having 2 optics to swap out is impractical unless it's just s range gun. If you're ever in some shit, you won't know what optic the situation dictates, and you're not honestly going to have the spare with you. If you wanted to say take your defensive rifle hunting and use a traditional magnified optic I could see it, but for a grab and go gun, no way.

#4 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:49 AM

You could get a 1-4x, or 1-6x and kinda have both.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#5 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

Thanks guys.  Makes sense.  Going to run the red dot on the 5.56.  Scope on the .308. 

#6 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:28 PM

I would say a red dot on the 5.56 assuming its not some for of 'spr' build.  The .308 it really depends on what .308 you're running but a 1-4 or 1-6 variable is your best bet.

• ETCGIB likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#7 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

I had a Trijicon MRO that I had on my M1A that I'm transferring to my AR. I think for most applications, a quality red dot is about as good as it gets.

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#8 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:25 PM

Okay, so why is no one recommending some sort of blend, like an ACOG 4x32? Yes, it's bloody expensive, but it has some magnification while remaining useful at room-clearing distances.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#9 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:00 AM

I actually sold my ACOG and went to an aimpoint T2. The ACOG was a great battle optic. For my purposes though, I wanted less weight, and will probably never have to take a shot past 100
  • ETCGIB likes this

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:12 PM

Okay, so why is no one recommending some sort of blend, like an ACOG 4x32? Yes, it's bloody expensive, but it has some magnification while remaining useful at room-clearing distances.

Honestly, i hate using my acog for table 2, the BAC thing doesnt work for me with a 4x optic. My brain still keeps focusing on the 4x view, not transferring the dot to the non-firing eye. I'd much rather use a variable power optic, if i knew I'd be going back and forth between distances a lot.

#11 ETCGIB

ETCGIB

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHampton Roads, VA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

+1 For red dot on 5.56 and scope on .308. Now to find a super sweet deal on something for my SCAR...

Gib

#12 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

I try to not be prejudice......so I evenly hate all of the sight options for AR-platforms........... rofl

#13 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

I have a confession to make...

I'm borrowing a 2-6x optic for one of my ARs to shoot the FB3G match at the end of the month lol

There are some 600 yard shots

Edited by PSDRyan, 08 September 2016 - 12:47 PM.

• MightyP likes this

#14 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

As I understand it the use of the BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept) using a 4x scope ran into issue which is why you started to see RMRs mounted on the top of ACOGs. 

Also you have to look at the primary use of the rifle optic. If the intended use is primarly inside of 100 yards the red dot will be more effective than a 4x scope. So it makes more sense to have the best optic for the rifles primary use.

If you want versatility you're far better off getting a 1-4 or 1-6 optic which will be nearly as fast as a red dot when at its 1x magnification and still just as effective as the acog at 4x.

Ultimately, I think the ACOG was a great option when it was first introduced and there were not a wide variety of affordable 1-4,6,8,10 optics on the market but now that 1x variable optics are far easier to find they beat out the ACOG every day in my book.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#15 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

As I understand it the use of the BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept) using a 4x scope ran into issue which is why you started to see RMRs mounted on the top of ACOGs. 

Also you have to look at the primary use of the rifle optic. If the intended use is primarly inside of 100 yards the red dot will be more effective than a 4x scope. So it makes more sense to have the best optic for the rifles primary use.

If you want versatility you're far better off getting a 1-4 or 1-6 optic which will be nearly as fast as a red dot when at its 1x magnification and still just as effective as the acog at 4x.

Ultimately, I think the ACOG was a great option when it was first introduced and there were not a wide variety of affordable 1-4,6,8,10 optics on the market but now that 1x variable optics are far easier to find they beat out the ACOG every day in my book.

The big thing acogs still might have on 1-4x/6x optics is durability in general. I know the vcog was touted to be as durable as an acog, but that's a hell of a price to pay for it.

#16 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:16 AM

Also I take back my confession. I'm shooting tactical irons with the red dot on the rifle.

I sold my ACOG to get the aimpoint and don't regret it. I never had trouble on table 2, but somehow it was less effective than even shooting my aimpoint with the front lens cap on. I think it's because it was more sensitive to having a somewhat proper eye relief just to pick up the reticle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users