• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mandelbrot

Mandelbrot

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

I'd like a good first aid app for my cell phone, and maybe some small first aid flash cards to carry.  I tried the Red Cross and St. John's apps, but they're a bit pedestrian, like if you have bleeding it only tells you to apply pressure and seek help.  I'd like something that directs tourniquet use when appropriate and so on.  More TCCC orientated.  I'm not thus endowed with the kind of time, proximity and cash to get enough training frequently enough not to go blank in an emergency and feel having these tools would help, if for nothing more than study.  Does anyone know if such things exist.  Cheers.

• ETCGIB likes this

#2 jvandivere

jvandivere

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 104 posts
  • LocationBellefontaine, ohio

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

Honestly, thinking about it, I'd stay away from an app. A flashcard in your medkit maybe faster. But you would have to train. Especially for TQ use, the time it takes to load an app, (maybe not possible covered in blood) the person may bleed out. I think your app would be good for secondary stuff- like a log or even other things to check for (fractures, non-life threatening issues). 

Good idea- but maybe for non-life threatening things. make it- make some money dude!

• ETCGIB likes this

n0Q3KCI.png?1

"Aut Vain Invaim Aut Facim- I will find a way or make one"

#3 Mandelbrot

Mandelbrot

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, I think the app would be better just for study/reference.  I like how some tourniquets come with a little instruction, like a claymore, this side to enemy.  I guess both would be more for study, like the what-to-do as opposed to the why that would encompass a text book you don't want to carry around.

• ETCGIB likes this

#4 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

I keep tc3 study guide on my phone (android, dont know if its on iphone) for that basic reason. Almost thought I'd have to bust out the ol tccc knowledge yesterday when i saw an overturned motorcycle with the dude face down in the street. Luckily, all he had was road rash and a bad attitude. Seemed drunk, to be honest. At least he's well enough to be sore and hungover today.
  • jvandivere and ETCGIB like this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#5 ETCGIB

ETCGIB

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHampton Roads, VA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

My favorite part about the OPs post is the recognition that tourniquet management is a LIFE SAVER! When in doubt...

Gib

#6 Mandelbrot

Mandelbrot

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:37 PM

My current in doubt thinking is to jam as much z-fold into the wound as possible and add the tourniquet up stream.  That's fine for limbs, I guess same on the torso, but in place of the tourniquet I'll just add manual pressure to the wound.  Unless it's the gurgling lung thing...then...tape three sides, exposed entrails...wash 'em off and stick 'em back in with a loose, damp dressing to cover.  I guess all that infantry first aid is applicable on the street.

#7 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:41 AM

Also consider people with short attention spans... I break out the app to assist and I remember, sh!t... I forgot to check my Clash of Clans!

Next thing you know I'm 10 minutes into a war and working on upgrading my Tesla towers.

I like shiny thi......wait.....oh crap.. he's still bleeding.

I'm hungry, when's lun.... crap!!!! still bleeding.

In short, I keep laminated index cards on a bungee loop.

Edited by DStevenson, 08 September 2016 - 05:41 AM.

• Psybain, billybogota, DieselD and 2 others like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#8 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

Is there a place to purchase index cards? or do you guys make them yourselves? I was looking iOS app store for a good app but didnt really come across anything. I think a mixture would be great, a phone app that I can reference and read through different topics while in the checkout line + cards to refer too when the proverbial S hits the fan ... 

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

Also consider people with short attention spans... I break out the app to assist and I remember, sh!t... I forgot to check my Clash of Clans!
Next thing you know I'm 10 minutes into a war and working on upgrading my Tesla towers.

I like shiny thi......wait.....oh crap.. he's still bleeding.

I'm hungry, when's lun.... crap!!!! still bleeding.

In short, I keep laminated index cards on a bungee loop.

"@thegreyman: at the car crash...lol #tccc #TQsfordays #whatdoIdoifhisspleenfellout #ohshitstillbleeding #seriouslylotsofblood #soundslikesomeonestartingabath #Ireallyneedtostoplivetweetingandsavethisguy #oops"
  • billybogota, DieselD, pira114 and 1 other like this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#10 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

rofl rofl rofl  you killed me with that one Psybain

• Psybain likes this

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users