6 replies to this topic

#1 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

Just doing some initial investigations and pondering some ideas..

Wanted to get input from some of the guys here.

I have 2 AR platform rifles (or carbines if you prefer), one in .50 Beowulf, and one in .223/5.56 (Wylde).

I have mid and long(ish) range hunting rifles in 30-30 and 30-06.

I was thinking of doing a "longer range" AR, probably just upper since I already have 2 good lowers I could swap one out depending on use.  The 6.5 Grendel is intriguing, looks to have good ballistics and ammo cost isn't absurd.

Problem is for the cost of a complete upper, I could probably get into a decent stand-alone rifle in .308, or cajole my dad out of his spare 7mm Weatherby (not that I can afford ammo for that)

1) are there any calibers you'd find superior to 6.5 Grendel for "long range" in the AR platform?

2) If you could choose between additional AR upper, or a new bolt-action Ruger/Browning/etc, what direction would you go?

Ideally I'd like to have a semi-auto .338 Lapua by Barrett or the new Ulffbrecht thing from Alexander but both of those (and ammo) are in a whole different world..

So lets queue the enablers!  (Note, I have 0 budget for this, but sometimes miracles happen)

#2 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

1) The 6.5 Grendel is probably the best option you can fit in an AR-15 sized package.  Now technically speaking an AR-10 is still an "AR Platform" If you wanted to include the 308 sized ars 6.5 creedmoor will be your best option.

2) The difference between a new bolt action and an additional upper will really come down to intended use.  The Semi-Auto platform is generally speaking going to give you higher magazine capacity and faster follow up shots. The bolt gun may give you a higher level of accuracy for the same price. But at the cost of slower follow up shots and lower magazine capacity.

So first off I would say better define your exact goals and what capabilities are important to you than I will do what I can to help point in the correct direction with all the powers granted unto me by the enabling gods.

• Psybain, DieselD and Fivesenenguy like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#3 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:37 PM

Well I don't have an AR10 size lower so, while I like the idea of an AR10 that would require additional investment.

AR seems like the way to go, unless I'm going to go up to something like RPR which is more $ than I'd be looking at.

#4 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:27 PM

The most bang for your buck would probably be the AR-15 Upper in 6.5 Grendel.  The Ruger precision rifle in .308 or 6.5 creedmoor would be an awesome option as well if you could find one. 

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:01 AM

If the Ruger Precision is an option as B3dlam mentioned I recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor.  While it's as simple as changing a barrel to change calibers, the 6.5 seems to be hands down the accuracy champion.

I have one in .308 and often consider making the barrel change.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#6 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:12 AM

Well the 6.5 upper from Alexander Arms with 24" barrel is $850-900, vs $1100+ that I'm seeing for RPR.  Glass for either would be in the same range, though the Ruger seems like it might demand slightly higher grade glass if anything.

Also toying with the idea of building my own AR upper "one piece at a time".  Could spread the cost out over several months that way and never have to cough up $800+ (until time for optics)

Savage also has some intriguing looking stuff in the $1-1.5k range, including .338 Lapua, but for some reason I have a mental barrier at going over $1k for Savage, which for whatever reason, I've always viewed as an "economy" gun.  Then again I guess $1,500 for that caliber is "economy".

#7 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

Savage makes very high end rifles I would put them up against a Remington any day. 

For what I am guessing you're wanting though the Ruger is just a better option sure its a little more expensive however if you factor in the upgrades you would do on a savage or Remington to get it to where you want it to be the cost of the ruger is far more understandable as it should be ready to go out of the box. 

Really what it comes down to like I said before.  If you want the highest level of accuracy the Ruger or other bolt gun is probably your best option.  If you want faster follow up shots and higher magazine capacity while having likely slightly less accuracy the AR upper is the route to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users