8 replies to this topic

#1 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:14 PM

I just noticed today that my kit has expired. Since all my money goes to my daughters horse riding and my sons high school marching band. How critical is the expiration? Do I need to replace components soon or do I have a little room?

#2 billybogota

billybogota

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

I assume you're talking about the Quikclot?  Did it just expire or did it expire a while ago and you just noticed?

1LtuBMc.png?2

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:25 PM

The only item with an expiration date is the quick clot.

As of January 2015 the expiration on quick clot is now extended out to 5 years.  Obviously the politically correct answer is expired products should be replaced.  With that being said if the packaging is still undamaged I would probably continue to use it and maybe just pick up another pack of quick clot combat gauze to replace it whenever its convenient in the next couple years. I'm not a medical professional but that's my personal opinion.

• DieselD likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:27 AM

Even plain old medical gauze expires. I'm not 100% on this, but I think it's just a requirement that certain medical supplies have an expiration by law.

With quick clot, it may be more important due to the clotting agent. It's simple to replace, but I doubt imperative. I'd not hesitate to use it.

I don't typically carry quick clot anyway, but if I'm bleeding out, I don't care if your shit is expired. Shove it in the appropriate holes and don't give it a second thought please.

If you're concerned about it being expired enough that you'd not use it, replace it with regular gauze. I'm kinda old school. I carry three times the amount of roll gauze as anyone else might think is necessary. TQ, pack the shit out of the wound, pressure bandage, transport.
  • DieselD likes this

#5 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

From what I've read, expired meds and whatnot are kinda like old batteries. They'll still work but lose some potency as time goes on.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#6 That Guy

That Guy

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

As one of the duties at my place of employment I am responsible for ensuring that all 1st aid and safety equipment is within its periodicity.  If any of the items are out of date and this kit is for work related use make sure they are changed for current items.  If this kit is for personal use my standard is still no more than one year out of date.  That being said things like gauze and what not will stay in my kit until the sterile packaging is opened.

#7 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:34 PM

Gauze doesn't really need to be sterile. The clotting agents can lose efficacy. They're not very expensive and a five year cycle is probably adequate.
  • pira114 likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#8 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

Thanks guys! I think i'll go a head and replace and shuffle the EDC one to a backup role

#9 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

I wouldn't worry about replacing the whole thing just the quick clot which you can purchase separately. Just replace that in the EDC kit and stash the old one in your backup gear. Or if you've never opened it up it might be a good time to open one up just so you know what to expect if you ever have to use it.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users