11 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:38 PM

I'm looking at picking up an AR shortly. I've never owned my own as, until about 18 months ago, I had access to whatever I needed. I was planning to save my pennies until next year sometime, but the more likely a certain candidate is to become president, the more likely that costs/available will suffer, so I'm looking to buy now.

Right now I'm looking at the M&P 15 Sport 2 for $650. Anything else you'd recommend in the price range? Iron sights are fine, but I will eventually put an RDS and light on it.

I want a primary weapon for a number of reasons, but mostly to stay proficient and keep in the truck while camping. It's a defensive rifle, so accurate to 200 yards is plenty.

Keep in mind that, while I like Colt and DD, the most reliable AR-style rifle I've ever used was a 20 year old Bushmaster SBR with 11.5" barrel and full auto. I'm not sold on needing a $2k rifle to get reliability.

Thanks

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:37 PM

In that price range, the M&P is the only one I'd buy. But a Colt 6920 shouldn't be much more than that. Especially in your area.

A lot of the cost of my rifle came after the initial weapon was purchased. You can get a decent civilian version of an M4 for roughly a grand. After that, all you'd usually need immediately is a rear sight. The rest can wait till money allows.
  • MightyP likes this

#3 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:03 AM

Nothing wrong with picking up a Sport 2, they are decent for the price, Colt also makes the upgraded expanse in that range as well. After you get one to serve the need it now buy save your pennies for the DD or Colt down the road.

Edited by Geist, 22 October 2016 - 12:04 AM.

• MightyP likes this

#4 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:06 AM

In that price range, the M&P is the only one I'd buy. But a Colt 6920 shouldn't be much more than that. Especially in your area.

A lot of the cost of my rifle came after the initial weapon was purchased. You can get a decent civilian version of an M4 for roughly a grand. After that, all you'd usually need immediately is a rear sight. The rest can wait till money allows.

I'd also go with a wally world colt if your budget allows.

• MightyP likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:52 AM

It's been several years since Wally World sold guns in Ca. When they did, there was no difference between a Colt there or any other gun store. Just slightly cheaper.

Is there any difference now? I can't remember which exact model they sold

#6 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

I haven't seen anything sporting gun esque in Walmart around here and their website didn't have it listed. Do you happen to have a link?

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#7 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 265 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

I wish I did a little more research when I bought my first AR.. I would have gone with an M&P. Instead I went with a DPMS Oracle and probably ended up paying a lot more. Although the only problems I've had with it the range have been magazine related.
  • MightyP likes this

#8 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

I haven't seen anything sporting gun esque in Walmart around here and their website didn't have it listed. Do you happen to have a link?

Where are you located? I have only been to walmart 2 or 3 times since I moved to CA 3 years ago.
  • MightyP likes this

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:27 PM

It's been several years since Wally World sold guns in Ca. When they did, there was no difference between a Colt there or any other gun store. Just slightly cheaper.

Is there any difference now? I can't remember which exact model they sold

In nc they sold the Colt 6920, and sometimes the one with the magpul furniture. They also sold some sig ARs as well
  • MightyP likes this

#10 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,599 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

A friend of mine picked up a Troy Defense CQB-SPC for about $700. Fantastic rifle for the price, I really enjoy shooting it. Problem is finding one though.

http://troydefense.c...b-spc-rifles-2/

Edited by mangeface, 22 October 2016 - 04:20 PM.

• MightyP likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#11 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

Aero Precision http://aeroprecision...complete-rifle/

I have a mid length that has served me well. PSA also is a decent quality budget beater gun.

• MightyP likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#12 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

You might also want to consider just buying a couple of stripped lowers.  Rather than buying a budget rifle now and than upgrading and replacing a lot of parts down the line get yourself the firearm now (lower) and build it with quality components and you'll likely end up with a rifle you'll be far happier with and being able to spread the purchase cost out usually makes it an easier sell with spouses as I understand it.

• MightyP and Fivesenenguy like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users