7 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

I've been tossing around this idea for a while and finally decided to give it a try. Not entirely sold on the usefulness, but it's interesting. I can display everything from my phone on my car's head unit, including video and sound. The idea is to be able to have the mapping software from my phone (specifically the stuff for off-road) display on my stereo.

Jury is still out on whether I like it, but it's worth giving it a shot.

IMG_20161018_1532332.jpg

WP_20161022_12_31_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20161022_12_31_19_Pro.jpg

• PsychoFish and pira114 like this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:29 PM

That's pretty cool. I wouldn't know what to do with it, but cool nonetheless. I'm still three generations of vehicles behind even having a screen in my cars
  • PsychoFish and Psybain like this

#3 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:36 AM

That's pretty cool. I wouldn't know what to do with it, but cool nonetheless. I'm still three generations of vehicles behind even having a screen in my cars

This. My old 2004 Tahoe has seen better days, but the simplicity of it keeps me from trading to a newer one (among my extreme hate of having a payment again!)

I used to be up to speed on all the latest and greatest for car electronics. What would be a good choice for an application like this for an aftermarket double din?? 

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#4 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

That's awesome! Handy for Google maps navigation

#5 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:56 PM

This. My old 2004 Tahoe has seen better days, but the simplicity of it keeps me from trading to a newer one (among my extreme hate of having a payment again!)

I used to be up to speed on all the latest and greatest for car electronics. What would be a good choice for an application like this for an aftermarket double din?? 

The one thing I've discovered that kinda bugs me is the low resolution on my car screen. I have a HD phone screen that's being mirrored to my car through AV cables, which just can't keep up. (You can kind of see it if you look at the web address text in my pictures) Practically speaking, it's not a problem unless I want to see a minor street name on Google maps or something, but it's irritating. 

Crazy thing is, if you have an HDMI port on your car radio, you can get a Roku and a power source to tap into your car for about $15 less than I paid and get HD video to your radio, plus any other benefits the Roku might provide. There's also some integrated car mapping stuff you can do now (Android Auto and some Apple version of the same thing). Limits what you can do and see, but for google maps, it supposedly works well. I actually wanted it so I could do other mapping software (Maps.me and Hema Maps) for off-roading.

I've been pretty loyal to Pioneer for years with mixed results. My current radio randomly decides to freeze a couple times a year and I have to pull the fuse to get it to reset. Definitely not cool, but I can live with it twice a year.

Cheapest head unit with HDMI input, I believe, is a JVC at $450, the KW-V51BT

Best bang for your buck is probably still a Pioneer, but is $600. AVH-4200NEX  The Android Auto and HDMI inputs are very cool, but I don't know that I can justify the cost for those 2 features... Especially when I'm going cheap on an AR. :P

• PsychoFish likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#6 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

Good to see Pioneer is still up there. Guess I'll have to start fabbing up a rear mounted camera mount and snag me one of those units!

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#7 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

Most of the name-brand stereo companies have a version with Carplay and/or AndroidAuto, which seems like the way to go for that sort of stuff.. 

#8 hrddrv

hrddrv

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationArcher, Fl

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:07 AM

Most of the name-brand stereo companies have a version with Carplay and/or AndroidAuto, which seems like the way to go for that sort of stuff.. 

Actually Androidauto is now a stand alone app. I am considering using it on an older phone or even a tablet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users