• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:57 AM

I did something I didn't think I'd ever do - buy a Goruck bag...and more.

Upon learning I could get a 25% discount, I bought the GR1 26L, GR1 field pocket, echo field pocket, sternum strap, tough clutch, simple side pocket, and bottle holder. Weirdly, the pouches jazz me up more than the ruck.

Using the bag since Monday, I think it's really stiff. I read online "it'll break in." Boy, I hope so. I also think it might be too big, but I needed a larger backpack so there. For EDC, it's so far a bit awkward, and I'm really on the fence about getting the 21L and trying to return the 26L.

I'd really like a smaller EDC backpack and have thought about the bullet 10L for my tablet, echo field pocket, and a few other things, but then I'm back to my Vanquest Trident 20 problem with little room for extra things like files, books, groceries, a jacket, etc.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 12 May 2017 - 05:58 AM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 451 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

Throw a ruck plate in there and move around a bit.  That'll break it in nicely.

• ArkansasFan and jvandivere like this

NoTMZyB.png

#3 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

Throw a ruck plate in there and move around a bit. That'll break it in nicely.

It's got about 18 pounds of random stuff in it for that reason. I wonder if wash g it would soften it a bit.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

I've had mine for well over a year. It DOES break in. It's by far the best pack I've had, especially for carrying weight

Edited by pira114, 12 May 2017 - 10:26 PM.

• ArkansasFan likes this

#5 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

Well, I've decided to buy a second Goruck.  The 26L GR1 is too large for EDC or at least my EDC.  It's also not something I want as a go bag or GHB, etc.  However, it'll be a great big backpack to have around as I thought the 21L although better suited for EDC might have been too small for actual packing, i.e. trips, etc.  I just lugged it around downtown Tulsa during Goruck Constellation without any problems.  I do prefer giving my straps slack and wearing it lower than intended.  

So for my second Goruck, once I plan on buying a Bullet or what was once called a Bullet 10L.  Frankly, I'd rather have a first generation 10 or 15 liter Bullet, but a new one will suffice.  

Btw, I'm happy to review the Constellation event if anyone is interested.  

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

I would love an AAR of the event. Did you hook up with the ITS crew?

• ArkansasFan likes this

#7 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:42 PM

I would love an AAR of the event. Did you hook up with the ITS crew?

Well, I'm not a military guy so I'm thinking AAR means review so here goes.

My event was in Tulsa. I think the ITS gang hit Dallas a week before me. We were organized into "cells" of approximately eight people each. One cell bailed during the night complaining of boredom.

We were supplied a packing list that was "updated" the day prior to the event. It actually trimmed down our list of needs, but lacked some of the required items like duct tape. We were never inspected to make sure those things were there and contrary to another review concealed firearms would be been fine. No one asked.

Each cell submitted the cellphone numbers of two "comms" guys who received periodic instructions from someone else the cadre referred to occasionally as "she" and "her." Photo evidence of our deeds were also submitted to this person.

We got aquainted with our cell mates and received some initial instructions. In my official Goruck review, I mentioned it was a bit vague what the course goals were which the Goruck CSR corroborated noting they're still working on that. The instructor or cadre Mickey said a few times the point was to develop a "mindset" perhaps for urban preparedness. Some of the folks there weren't preparedness-oriented people. Most were either directly or indirectly.

The first task was to go navigate to an "attack point" or what made sense to me as a waypoint since there wasn't anything to do with an attack. Perhaps that's another military reference. We reported back to the text lady.

Next, we had to go find some suitable safehouse sites and text back why they were suitable. We didn't get any feedback that I'm aware of. One had to be sketched. One guy drew, another wrote labels, a third provided correct spelling.

Afterwards we went over hide sites, "get ugly early," and navigated to a park that was closed by the time we all got there, lol.

This followed concealment and cover lessons as well as a demonstration on defeating duct tape bindings. We then had to go out maybe four times and avoid discovery by the cadre within a circumscribed area. A lot of the hide sites had a drunk, high, or sleeping homeless guy occupying it. There were a lot of freight trains too so we avoided the tracks. Supposedly, if you were caught the cadre tapped you up and you had to free yourself. We got caught and didn't.

There was some degree of escalation involved, and I presently can't recall what else was required besides finding "firewood" and kindling.

Later we had to make a hobo stove out of a can and start a fire with packing list items. I didn't realize this until the event was over that we were somehow scored and one cell won. I don't know who won, but the first to get water boiling I think won. Several small cuts and burns were incurred. Wear your gloves. I think I'm the only one that did.

We had a brief demonstration of tactical tourniquets with what replicate stress placement - sprint then apply. A two liter soda replicated an arterial hemorrhage and we had to use list items to stop the bleed. Don't be the dumbass that takes dark, sugary soda. Diet Sprite.

We then had to configure the bottle into a gas mask. It isn't the preferred configuration I've learned about online, but it did require less or more readily available items.

We then taped ourselves up, broke free and ran behind a building a few times getting OC'd to "learn to rely on the mask."

Afterwards most people were interested in decontamination while some lessons were going on. More than half weren't paying attention at this point. One lesson dealt with escaping zip ties. Then we picked up trash, got our patch and a handshake and were on our way home.

I wanted to escape and evade. That's why I went. I can't play fugitive on my own so for this the course was great. It was survival-lite, but that was expected. If it were longer it might could model the E&E course at OnPoint Tactical. I haven't done this given geography, but I'll be doing a similar E&E/urban survival this August.

I liked Constellation but wasn't as blown away by it as I hoped to be. A total novice would've been more enamored. No one else in my cell knew about the duct tape and zip tie stuff. One knew about ITS. A few had been boy or eagle scouts earlier in life. Most were merely Goruck fans who did sundry events like Tough, Light, etc.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 03 June 2017 - 08:56 PM.

• DeathwatchDoc and sliestfish like this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#8 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:36 PM

That's a great After Action Report! I've been curious about a skills oriented event so it was good to get some details.
  • ArkansasFan likes this

89BccLb.png

#9 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

That's a great After Action Report! I've been curious about a skills oriented event so it was good to get some details.

Thanks!

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#10 jason10mm

jason10mm

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

Great AAR. It does highlight a characteristic (can be a strength or a weakness) of Goruck events....a notable lack of foreknowledge or specific objectives. So you can go in with wild expectations and be underwhelmed or go in with none and be blown away, frustrated, or challenged (often all three in the same event!). It will be interesting to see where the Constellation curriculum goes.

As for the bullet, it is pretty narrow, make sure your tablet will easily fit. If you think the GR1 is stiff, definitely avoid the Rucker, mine at least was MUCH stiffer, particularly where the shoulder straps meet the bag (the foam goes all the way, versus the short webbing attachment of my GR1 [former GR0]). It is slowly breaking in, but it has been a loooong process.

• ArkansasFan likes this

#11 just a scout

just a scout

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

I just got a GR2 40L for travel and stuff. Little big for EDC. Eying a Bullet for that. But seriously loving the GR2 for travel. It's even big enough to hold my CPAP along with a weeks worth of clothes and MacBook. 

Posted ImageVictory is reserved for who are willing to pay it's price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users