24 replies to this topic

#1 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:07 AM

After years of faithful service, I'm looking to replace my magnum with a truck once I move to AZ. I've been thinking about getting a Tacoma TRD off road model in the quicksand color, i like the look of the design and how the color itself kind of blendsin with the surrounding colors too. Anyone have any experience with these trucks, or have a different recommendation? I dont plan on doing tons of off road stuff, but I want the capability in the event I need it.

Thanks!

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#2 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

My father always used to say owning a 4x4 means you just get stuck worse. That being said, he always owned a 4x4. I think your choice of vehicle isn't bad at all. Toyota makes great stuff. My only advice is off-topic, sort of. Don't buy brand new and try to avoid financing.

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#3 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

Have you considered Nissan? Less costly because not as popular comparing to Toyota. As good or better quality with myriad features and packages.

When I replace my truck, I'm moving to a SUV.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

You probably can't go wrong with Toyota for the most part. If you ever plan to tow or haul, pay attention to the cargo capacity. I haven't looked at Toyota in a while, but I remember not being impressed with that. All 1/2 tons are lacking in cargo capacity when you get into large trailer towing.

Other than that, I agree with Arkansas. Nissans are often overlooked, but are excellent. My 03 Xterra has 300,000 miles on it and just now is starting to need real work to keep it going. I'm very impressed with their off road abilities and durability

#5 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

Good to know about the Nissan. I'll look at them and compare them with the tacoma as well.

#6 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 308 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

Tacos are about as bombproof you can get in the States - I'd much rather have a TDI HiLux, but I don't think that will ever happen.  They're so bloody expensive, though, I just can't see paying that much for one.  Used are nearly expensive as brand new.

Take this all with a grain of salt, since I'd be looking for a '91-'92 Jeep Comanche 4.0L 4x4 if I were in the market for a truck!

• mangeface likes this

While I breathe I shall defend.

#7 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Here you go:

http://www.zombiemot...x-pickup-truck/

#8 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:20 PM

Here you go:

http://www.zombiemot...x-pickup-truck/

I've read a couple things about a Toyota hilux USA model truck, do you know if that's coming to the states?

#9 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 479 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

i've got a buddy that has a Tundra and loves it. Toyo's are very reliable. I had a 2001 4Runner and never had an issue with it.

i recently had a Nissan Titan with the V8 endurance engine in it as a rental and was VERY impressed with the truck. the fit and finish was great and the amenities were top notch. Once my Dodge is dead i will look very closely at a Titan as a replacement.

VR

• Psybain likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#10 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

The new Tacomas are nice trucks but I just saw a thing about a recall on the 2GR engine... I'd rather buy a couple year old one with a 1GR
  • MightyP likes this

#11 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

Plus 1 for Nissan. I have an 01 frontier. Need to do some front end work. The season are harder on a vehicle this far north. But she's never let me down.

Also there is truth about 4x4 getting you stuck worse. If you don't know how to use it you can get well hung up. We had to send two tow trucks to pull a guy out of a rural slue . Drive in at least up to the doors. Flooded road.

#12 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 698 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

Nissans are great, if you get one of the good years. Just do your research before buying. Some years have problems. As for new, the Colorado/Canyon has been impressing me. Especially with the diesel option. But I don't know how reliable it will be long-term.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#13 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

the Colorado/Canyon has been impressing me. Especially with the diesel option. But I don't know how reliable it will be long-term.

So damn expensive though
  • Psybain likes this

#14 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:36 AM

So damn expensive though

3k extra just for the diesel

#15 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

If it's a solid engine, 3k isn't a bad upchrge for a diesel really

#16 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:55 PM

I've read a couple things about a Toyota hilux USA model truck, do you know if that's coming to the states?

Vaporware.  I'll believe it when I see it.  I'd say I'd buy one on the spot, but I need third row seating now :/

• Psybain likes this

#17 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,592 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

I'm about ready to trade my Sierra in for a Tacoma. I've heard the 3rd gen Tacos (2016 and up) have had a significant amount of recalls (by significant I mean by Toyota standards, which isn't much) and have been hampered by transmission issues. But that's word of mouth from my Tacoma obsessed friend.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#18 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:28 AM

Toyota is far from impervious to recalls. The whole frame on my truck was under recall. That said I'd take my Tundra over any other full size on the market.

#19 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,933 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

My parents have a Tacoma (unknown year). Turns out the wiring bundle is made with organic compounds and can be attractive to rodentia. So when their truck died in the middle of a drive, they were unpleased to find out that wiring was shorted by edible and desirable wire coatings.

89BccLb.png

#20 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 698 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

I hear manual transmission is the way to go with the new Tacos.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users