12 replies to this topic

#1 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

I know we have a lot of Texans here. Don't know where exactly you all are, but here's to you and hoping you're ok. If I could, I'd be there.
  • BTSmith10, ducttapedave, jopasmith and 1 other like this

#2 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

A friend of mine in houston who is an inactive member of the ITS forums  is doing well, he experienced no flooding or power loss. I think he's helping the fema dickheads distribute stuff to people who got their world rocked.

• mangeface and CalicoJack like this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

Yeah, a buddy if mine is from the Ft Hood area. He headed down to Beaumont with his boat and apparently us sitting in a parking lot waiting to be utilized. Logistics suck in these circumstances, but he's getting pretty frustrated. Been sitting for 14 hours

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,592 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, a buddy if mine is from the Ft Hood area. He headed down to Beaumont with his boat and apparently us sitting in a parking lot waiting to be utilized. Logistics suck in these circumstances, but he's getting pretty frustrated. Been sitting for 14 hours

Unfortunately that's kind of how it goes. After the May 19th tornado in Moore, OK first responders were basically telling people to go home. It's a good initiative by everyone to go, but sometimes it can be more of a hassle to the professionals down there doing the rescues or organizing them. Especially when it comes to people calling in for a rescue, a civilian comes by and rescues them, but no one resports that they no longer need to be rescued. Last thing they need is to send a helicopter or water rescue team into danger for someone that is no longer there.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:18 AM

An army friend of mine drove down earlier this week from kansas city to houston with his jet skis. He and some other guys were able to help rescue some people around houston for a couple days. He said the emergency management people basically tasked the civvies with assisting the non-injuired/non-emergency cases. I believe on wed he loaded his truck back up and they all moved their AO to a coastal area SE of houston to help down there.

#6 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

He's reporting now that they're getting good SAR missions. And he's surprised at how many don't want to leave a trailer park that's 6 feet under water.

#7 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Few pics he sent. He's planning a PDF style AAR. If it's pertinent, I'll post it here when he's all done.

But back to why I started this thread, anyone have any idea if any of our members are in need of help? I can maybe direct some their way

IMG_0162_zpsjux1qpmr.jpg

IMG_0163_zps27e3nqgd.jpg

IMG_0164_zpsdctrcvmy.jpg

IMG_0165_zps4bu5311s.jpg

Edited by pira114, 01 September 2017 - 06:58 PM.

• mangeface and CalicoJack like this

#8 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

It's great to see how good people can really be.

As a guy who has always lived in a place where natural phenomenon and disasters like this never happen, I'm always blown away by the devastation, the lack of preparedness, and desperation that I see come from it.
  • pira114 likes this

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:28 PM

I asked my friend if he had any lesson learned from the thing, and he said he was out getting additional supplies/water as soon as thr storm might head their way. Luckily, he never lost power or flooded, but they were basically stranded at home for almost a week while the rest of Houston flooded. He said through balancing meal plans to go through fresh and frozen food first, his family was able to make it the entire time without dipping into their emergency supplies.
  • mangeface and pira114 like this

#10 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 308 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

Jury is still out on whether we'll be activated for search and rescue.  I can see us going once the water recedes to search houses for the deceased. 

While I breathe I shall defend.

#11 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

I headed down to Corpus this past weekend to drop my son off at TAMUCC. His move in day got bumped a week for obvious reasons. Some damage here and there but not bad. Port Aransas / Rockport / Aransas Pass got hammered with a capital H. I had a conference call with each city's director of IT Saturday evening and they have systems online with paracord and duct tape. My favorite coffee shop got wiped out in Port Aransas. My boss has a has in Rockport and lost a boat, lots of downed trees and fence and the house has repairable damage. I have co-workers and family in H-Town and they all eeked out ok, their only issues were being stuck in their proverbial "islands" with supplies dwindling. I might be heading to H town (Channelview area) this coming Saturday to deliver supplies to a coworkers family community, provided we can actually get there. 

I'm thankful we (San Antonio) didnt get the flooding here but still sad for my fellow Texans. My only impact has been finding fuel here in San Antonio. Media created a panic this past Friday that resulted in panic buying creating an actual "shortage" problem. To the point SAFD had to take to social media to inform people that storing 30G trash cans of fuel was hazzard....

I was bingo on fuel yesterday and was not able to get anywhere (didnt need too though) and this morning it took about 20 phone calls until I found a station close enough to get diesel and get back in case I couldnt. 

dumbass lemming sheeple ...  :embarassed:

long road ahead to get everything put back together but we're all helping each other which has been awesome to see. 

United we stand, divided we fall. white. black. brown. yellow. Jews n Gentiles. we're all working through it. Together.

• pira114 likes this

#12 SLAM4500

SLAM4500

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

Cypress Texas checking in; no damage and we are safe.
  • pira114 likes this

#13 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

Good to hear!

It is nice to see all the humanity that comes out during times like these. Too bad it takes a catastrophic situation to bring it out though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users