Photo

Looking at a new backpack, need suggestions.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

I currently use a foliage green TAD EDC back pack. I love this bag, but I do not like all the MOLLE on it. I am thinking of trying to switch to something that's a little more gray man. I'm considering the SHADO by PDW. However, I'm open to others, so please, suggestions! What colors do you suggest for an EDC pack?

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#2 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

I have a slick 3 day bag from LBT in MAS Grey and use that thing almost daily. Only tactical thing on it is a 2x3 piece of loop. No ragrets.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

As always, I'd recommend a GoRuck. Problem is they all have Molle now except the GR3, which is fairly large for EDC. However, now they have steel grey and blue as color options. That may or may not help you with the "grey man" look. I guess it all depends on if you think 3 rows of Molle will make it stand out as tactical looking.

For durability and function, I've never been happier than with my GR1. In plain black with no patch, no one has ever mentioned it looking tactical. People sometimes mention it and ask if I've been to an event, but every one of them was a fitness type person who probably would never have guessed what I had inside.

Price is high. No surprise there, but ya get what ya pay for.

#4 billybogota

billybogota

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 97 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

The Tarahumara by Hill People Gear is pretty unobtrusive -- decent size too.

1LtuBMc.png?2

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:05 AM

I have a slick 3 day bag from LBT in MAS Grey and use that thing almost daily. Only tactical thing on it is a 2x3 piece of loop. No ragrets.

Or no regerts?

Is it this one? I like the look of that. Would easily pass for a school type pack. How's the inside? Oh, and comes in pink. Can't be less tacticool than that.

http://lbtinc.com/1476anm

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,861 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:59 AM

I use a Vertx Gamut and I've been very happy with mine also, I know there are a couple others here (Doc is one, I can't recall the other) that use or have have used it.

It has Molle if you want it, but a slick cover if you dont, hides well and looks like a pretty standard backpack if that is the look you want from it.

Price was reasonable and if you buy it through Dvor sometimes you can catch it about $50.00 off.

By chance they happen to have bags on sale today... hah.. (just checked) including the Gamut at $70.00 off!

DVOR link

(it's a "members only" website so you need to register.  Use the link above give me some luv.

Edited by DStevenson, 08 September 2017 - 05:00 AM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#7 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:41 AM

For EDC, and no PALS, I've been very happy with my Alpha One Niner Evade. The only complaint is the stock straps blow, however you can easily (ie no mod) swap them for Kifaru X-ray straps.

http://www.alphaonen...-evade-backpack

#8 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Personally I like having the MOLLE on my pack. Makes it easy  to switch between load outs and tasks. But that's me. Am following the thread because there are some very interesting bag designs being shared.

#9 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

Also I used the Dvor link to sign into the site. Don't know if that helps you with anything.

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

Or no regerts?

Is it this one? I like the look of that. Would easily pass for a school type pack. How's the inside? Oh, and comes in pink. Can't be less tacticool than that.

http://lbtinc.com/1476anm

Aww, I was hoping you'd complete the scene and reply with "not one letter?" ;)

And yeah, that's the bag. I use it pretty much daily to take stuff to and from work. Holds a good amount of stuff and like you said, looks pretty much like any school backpack. you could probably even get a thread ripper and pull the logo off a jansport bag, stick it to some hook velcro and slap it over the loop to hide that as well and give it the full low profile look.

From what I've seen, the gamut is also a really good option.

• pira114 likes this

#11 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

My thoughts/review on the Gamut:

I bought this bag February 7th 2015. 

Initially I was pretty impressed! I had so much room to organize my things!

About me and the intended use; I work as an IT infrastructure consultant, I travel periodically but for the most part I stay within the San Antonio/Austin area.

I typically carry one laptop (usual) size, associated power cable, USB charging cables, phone cables, tech gadgets, a med kit with everything to handle a booboo to OMG that's a lot of blood! A small kit containing other EDC type items, paracord, pens n pencils a blade or 2, a 17" USB powered monitor, notebook, a plate from AR500 and for the foreseeable future a second laptop.

This bag carries it all with ease and completely organized!

I have also on occasion dumped all the above and used it to travel to vegas for weekend it worked perfectly in this purpose.

I have also rucked it all over Disney world

It carries so well even when loaded. I have yet to find a more comfortable pack that when loaded my shoulders don’t ache after a few moments.

The bad:

1.) The back does not breathe - at all. Not a huge deal breaker for me but for others it might be.

2.) durability. I am so unbelievable disappointed in this regard (could just be the one I got, I dont know) The top pull/carry handle has come mostly un-stitched and I anticipate it to break completely, any day.

The internal mesh pockets are also all ripped up, this happened just a few months of use!

The outer shell and other straps are all still in great condition

I really hate to go buy a new one after only 2 years of daily use but I have yet to find an adequate replacement for my needs. I even switched back to my 5.11 Covrt but it just couldn’t handle the weight of all my gear.

#12 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

The Vertx packs have unfortunately had a pretty bad reputation for durability. If you're serious about looking at packs search "The Perfect Pack" on Facebook, there is a ton of info. Also check out Blaine's reviews on loadedpocketz.com

#13 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

My thoughts/review on the Gamut:

I bought this bag February 7th 2015. 

Initially I was pretty impressed! I had so much room to organize my things!

About me and the intended use; I work as an IT infrastructure consultant, I travel periodically but for the most part I stay within the San Antonio/Austin area.

I typically carry one laptop (usual) size, associated power cable, USB charging cables, phone cables, tech gadgets, a med kit with everything to handle a booboo to OMG that's a lot of blood! A small kit containing other EDC type items, paracord, pens n pencils a blade or 2, a 17" USB powered monitor, notebook, a plate from AR500 and for the foreseeable future a second laptop.

This bag carries it all with ease and completely organized!

I have also on occasion dumped all the above and used it to travel to vegas for weekend it worked perfectly in this purpose.

I have also rucked it all over Disney world

It carries so well even when loaded. I have yet to find a more comfortable pack that when loaded my shoulders don’t ache after a few moments.

The bad:

1.) The back does not breathe - at all. Not a huge deal breaker for me but for others it might be.

2.) durability. I am so unbelievable disappointed in this regard (could just be the one I got, I dont know) The top pull/carry handle has come mostly un-stitched and I anticipate it to break completely, any day.

The internal mesh pockets are also all ripped up, this happened just a few months of use!

The outer shell and other straps are all still in great condition

I really hate to go buy a new one after only 2 years of daily use but I have yet to find an adequate replacement for my needs. I even switched back to my 5.11 Covrt but it just couldn’t handle the weight of all my gear.

Wow, that sucks! Thanks for the heads up.

I got my old camelbak motherlode bag approx 12 yrs ago, and it's held up well between 3 deployments, lots of use as my carry-on for various flights across the country, and constant use as my daily bag to carry crap to and from work over the years. The only reason why I got my LBT 3 day is because it's slick and looks less tactical than the camelbak that's covered with molle all over. To be honest, I think the camelbak is actually a little larger, and it has a couple features the LBT lacks (mesh pockets, small internal pockets)

#14 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

The Vertx packs have unfortunately had a pretty bad reputation for durability. If you're serious about looking at packs search "The Perfect Pack" on Facebook, there is a ton of info. Also check out Blaine's reviews on loadedpocketz.com

Yeah, other than handle about to rip off its been a great pack! Now I'm reluctant to go buy a replacement if i'm only going to get 2 years out of it. I even sent a note to their "support" and basically told, "to bad so sad" I wasnt looking for a hand out but maybe a "hey, send it in and we'll try to fix it for you" - Thanks for the Facebook heads up and link, great info!

Wow, that sucks! Thanks for the heads up.

I got my old camelbak motherlode bag approx 12 yrs ago, and it's held up well between 3 deployments, lots of use as my carry-on for various flights across the country, and constant use as my daily bag to carry crap to and from work over the years. The only reason why I got my LBT 3 day is because it's slick and looks less tactical than the camelbak that's covered with molle all over. To be honest, I think the camelbak is actually a little larger, and it has a couple features the LBT lacks (mesh pockets, small internal pockets)

This LBT looks great not seen it before

#15 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, other than handle about to rip off its been a great pack! Now I'm reluctant to go buy a replacement if i'm only going to get 2 years out of it. I even sent a note to their "support" and basically told, "to bad so sad" I wasnt looking for a hand out but maybe a "hey, send it in and we'll try to fix it for you" - Thanks for the Facebook heads up and link, great info!

This LBT looks great not seen it before

Yeah, it holds a good amount of stuff, I use it to bag groceries all the time bc CA is dumb and charges people 10 cents a bag now. I can fit an entire change of cammies inside it including boots, shirt, underwear, socks and cover, and still have room in the outer pouches to carry extra stuff. Like a full mre if necessary.

#16 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

I've been happy with the 5.11 COVRT bag. I had a olive green one, and a coworker said it looked "military" so I switched out for the gray one. No one bats an eye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users