6 replies to this topic

#1 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

Looking for the best info out there for understanding the basic concepts of shooting long distances.

#2 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

Appleseed? It's a class but if you attend a KD event, you'll get long range shooting in.

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

Snipers hide forums at least used to have a lot of topics and articles dedicated to long range shooting. I havent been on them in a long time, but I'd presume they still do.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#4 ffemtp

ffemtp

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

This book came highly recommended at K&M Precision Rifle Training regarding long range shooting: http://amzn.to/2C0HyyK

• mangeface likes this

#5 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

Agreed with above. Anything by Brian Litz is gold.
  • mangeface likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,595 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:40 AM

This book came highly recommended at K&M Precision Rifle Training regarding long range shooting: http://amzn.to/2C0HyyK

Added to my "Books" wish list. Bout the extent of my long range shooting was to 500 yards in the Marines. One day, just one day I'll get a bolt gun and try to start working the quadruple digits.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#7 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 341 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:08 AM

Darrell Holland is a great teacher if you can go actually take his course. Applied Ballistics and Accuracy and Precision by Bryan Litz are good books. Fundamentals of Long Range Shooting by Nightforce is also good. 

The thing about long range shooting is it seems very daunting to shoot 1000 meters, but once you do it 1 grand is pretty easy. Its pushing out past a grand that is the hard thing. By this time you are talking about super high end guns, ballistic calculator, kestrel, hand loaded ammo an a good optic and i mean nightforce at the minimum. Personally I run a schmidt and bender.

You also have to consider if you are shooting front or second focal plane as that changes the manner in which you calculate. 

Then there are all the super fun issues of learning how to do it all without nifty gismos. Long range shooting is super fun, but it takes a ton of practice and a lot of ammo. At this point even hand loading isnt cheap.

For example: 338 Lapua no matter how you slice it isnt cheap to shoot, if you shoot 100 rounds in a day (which does take a long time when going for accuracy) that is about 450 dollars. (that of course is depending on load but that is what my load costs) Before this though you have to go spend a bunch of money on components you will likely never use again and load test groups of 5 in various bullet types, brands and weights as well as various different powder types and charges. However to me that is all very fun and relaxing. Shoot 5 rounds, take notes measure group, shoot the next five and so on. Once you find your load then you load up 100 of them and start pushing them out. You may find that the load your gun loves at 500 might not work well at 1500. Again this is all fun though, well if you like to shoot. 

There are guys out there shooting over 3000 meters. Granted that isnt practical for anything but it is neat they can do it. personally the farthest I have ever shot is 1670 meters. I have a friend that regularly shoots at 2100 meters. But again, alot of time and money in the gun, then time and money in the ammo and then just time on the trigger. 

The next thing to consider is caliber. Sure you can hit things out at 1500 with a 6.5 but when it gets there it has nothing on it. So if you want to just hit steel real far away then you can build cheaper rifle and ammo.... Personally i dont think its worth shooting that far unless it has the stank on it to still drop something, but that is just me. That is why i tend to build big bore. 338 lapua, 300 winmag, 7.82 warbird, 338/378, .375 snipetac. Don't get it twisted though you really have to research the round you want. I could just say "yeah get a .408 cheytac" but not many of us just have 20k laying around for the system. and skip the 50 cal, it just isnt as great as people think for long range precision. On the other hand you get good with it and it has a metric shit ton of energy at 2000 meters

This is a good tool for ballistic calculation: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/

Id have some fun with it, classes are better than books, range time is better than read time. 

but that is just my two cents after months of absence. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users