6 replies to this topic

#1 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

So I had a pretty fun experience this week while working. I spend a fair deal of time traveling around my area for work. The territory I cover for work is approximately 1.2 million square kilometers. A lot of it I cover with my work truck. So vehicle preparedness is a thing. Anyway, a pretty decent storm blew through the province earlier this week while I was on site, which resulted in Hurricane force winds, which is pretty fun in the middle of the continent where it's flat as a board. I heard somewhere half the power grid was affected in some way.

Many of the towns around the area where I was working were evacuated due to wild fires from downed power lines. The town where I was working was a biscuit from it as well.

It makes me think about how people plan and prepare for a bug out situation when they're road warriors. I generally tend to work away from civilization as much as I do work close to it, so my work truck is generally stocked and good to go if needed. I wonder about others in the hotel I was in.

What are some of the emergency things you carry in your vehicle to make sure you can always get home?

#2 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

When I drove truck, I carried a backpack that had some stuff in it. I was amazed how many guys I drove with (I drove mostly team) did not even have the basics like anti-diarrheal medicine. They were more concerned with getting their XM radio to work than even carrying extra water. I carried everything from basic toiletries and spare clothes to shelf stable food and extra water. I will admit I was not even as prepared as I could have been. I could have packed a camp stove like my MSR Pocket Rocket.

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

I would say get all the suggested items on the FEMA emergency list for starters.
  • DStevenson likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

I think you could push road preps as far as funds and space allow. To include jugs of water, fuel, traction assist items, come along winch, tools, tent, sleep gear, food, etc.

In my truck, I keep some foods, water, shelter items in addition to my get home bag gear.

For our SUV, I keep water, some baby supplies, tire inflation pump, battery jumper, flat spray goo (idk what it is), and my bag when I'm in it. If my wife drives it's never far enough from home that she couldn't walk back quickly with our baby in the stroller.

Both vehicles have a dedicated handgun, mags, and OC spray.

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#5 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

My work truck, where I spend most of time is pretty well set up. I've got tools from work, as well as my work gear, which will take me comfortably down to -50C. I will usually have an Esbit type of stove with solid fuel pellets, since that will be the least likely to cause me grief when my truck is searched going onto some sites. I keep calories, and some water, though I need to top it up again. Water in the winter around these parts gets interesting. I also have 20' (6 meter) jumper cables so I can go the full length of my truck to jump someone if needed.

I definitely carry spare fluids as well, including windshield washer fluid. I spend enough time on backroads far from civilization that I've had to top up to get back to the highway.

There's also my E-Tool and some camping TP. Sometimes the nearest gas station isn't near enough.

#6 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

I always haul extra medical gear with me. To paraphrase another member of the ITS community: bullets and bandages.

89BccLb.png

#7 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:40 AM

Bullets are generally a no go for me. Almost every work site I go to weapons are forbidden, in addition to the different laws in Canada.  The major concerns that I run into when traveling are:

1) Weather - Whether it's tornadoes, plow winds, ice rains, ice quakes, sleet, snow, hail etc, the biggest impact is weather. Ranger blanket, extra warm layers, food, heat source, signaling and comms. I have a few ways to receive weather alerts, AM Radio that covers the province, weather radio channels, txt alerts to cell phone etc.

2) Vehicle Incidents - Defensive driving is a big mitigation here. It's kept me away from a lot of close calls. I also keep extra fluids in the truck. I have 20' jumpers, vehicle emergency kit with the usual suspects, I travel with a full load of tools for work, the truck has to be regularly serviced because of work policy. Winter tires are a must. As are additional traction devices. I also keep my e-tool in the truck. It works great when I need to break up frozen snow or ice. There are emergency signaling devices (high viz road signs, flashlights, flares etc). Paper road atlas to back up GPS. Depending on location and time of year I will sometimes also rotate in a self boost/jump battery.

I will also usually have my general EDC and extra EDC which covers off on the 10 essentials and a few extras.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Preparedness, Driving, Evacuation, Planning, Safety, Hotel, Travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users