13 replies to this topic

#1 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

Any one out there partaking in the strenuous life group started up by Brett McKay over the at Artofmanliness.com ?

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:41 AM

I'll add the quick link here: https://strenuouslife.co/

I am not involved in the strenuous life, but I think it has merit.

The idea is good and while I could complete the 60 minutes of exercise a day for the most part (skipping a couple rest days),  I don't know that I could complete the "good deed" for the day often enough =)

That's not to mean I'm a horrible person, quite the contrary.  But my day takes me to work, school to pick up my son, home, exercise or hockey, reading/relaxing, bed.... unless picking up my son is a good deed (I would assume it wouldn't qualify because it's just something you do) then I have little time for single out good deeds.

The Art of Manliness is a great informational, educational and humorous website.

Edited by DStevenson, 17 January 2018 - 05:48 AM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

I'm in class 002.

I earned the 12 week challenge coin, and I've earned several merit badges.

Since the first 12 weeks, I don't check in for physical activity or good deeds anymore. It became a bit of unnecessary tech burden.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 20 January 2018 - 12:03 PM.

• Spartan24 likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#4 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

I can see how the constant checking in could become burdensome over time. I've been reading  AoM since just after its inception and I am enjoying it thus far.

I'm Canadian so the good deed is always easy for me. So many please and thank you's. I've found the good deed to not so bad, since it can be small. Today I made breakfast for the missus since I was up. Some days it's driving her to work so she doesn't have to deal with parking. Some days its other stuff.

I think the structure it brings is a nice for the day. Reminds me to get out and do something. Competition can be a good thing.

• Spartan24 likes this

#5 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

Also, Class 015.

• Spartan24 likes this

#6 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

I can see how the constant checking in could become burdensome over time. I've been reading AoM since just after its inception and I am enjoying it thus far.

I'm Canadian so the good deed is always easy for me. So many please and thank you's. I've found the good deed to not so bad, since it can be small. Today I made breakfast for the missus since I was up. Some days it's driving her to work so she doesn't have to deal with parking. Some days its other stuff.

I think the structure it brings is a nice for the day. Reminds me to get out and do something. Competition can be a good thing.

I've been reading AOM since about 2011 although since Brett increased the podcast prevalence it's lost a bit of favor. Podcasts, in any form, just aren't for me (sorry ITS) although I did listen to AOM's when they were less frequent.

I met Brett once at a GORUCK event. He previously exchanged a bit of correspondence.

In 2014, I spent six weeks worth of nights rounding on a stand alone inpatient psych unit and read most everything he'd written which was still available online from inception until that date.

Regarding TSL, I really liked the idea of the merit badges more than anything. There are a lot of things I know little about such as angling and handyman that I feel will help motivate me to learn. It also helped me finally starting learning knots although I haven't moved on to lashings because I haven't looked for anything to tie together. The most unorthodox badge that I want to do is the motorcycle related one. I don't have a bike and don't want one, but think going to a motorcycle drivers ed class would be neat.

I'm ready to start on the Scout badge having finished all the prereq badges as well as some others - maybe seven total. I haven't done anything with it since before Thanksgiving.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 21 January 2018 - 06:00 PM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

Class 017 here.
  • ducttapedave likes this

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#8 marcosrodriguez

marcosrodriguez

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

This looks interesting; kind of like a crowd sourced betterment program with built-in accountability and support.  I enjoy reading the Art of Manliness.

#9 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:55 AM

Good luck Spartan24!

Might be worth starting a section of the forum for ITS members as well.

#10 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:34 AM

Good luck Spartan24!

Might be worth starting a section of the forum for ITS members as well.

I was just thinking that. I’ll look into that.

#11 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

I can't find a way to make a group for ITS members. However, maybe we can do it through messages. If you're interested, add me on TSL. I have the same username on TSL as I do here.

#12 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

Consider it done.

Anyone else who's interested, feel free to jump in!

#13 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:33 AM

I signed up for The Strenuous Life (Class 001) and have been really enjoying it so far (currently on Weekly Agon #38). I'm not active in the groups and really only work on the badges on my own. I haven't even linked up with any local guys, just too busy at the moment. But I do still try and meet the daily check-ins. It only takes a minute and I believe there's value in it. Oh and I'm not even interested in collecting the badges. Doing the work and checking off the requirements has [so far] been reward enough. Interesting. 

From another thread on these forums, I know a few of you guys have burned out with TSL and other communities. I don't think the point is to devote so much energy to them that they cause burnout (well, obviously) but you should instead be dialing things back to still get something out of the "program" while feeling good about yourself. Don't take shortcuts because you're only hurting yourself but once it becomes a chore, it's going to become a bore. Didn't mean to rhyme there.

For the first 12 weeks of TSL, you have to post evidence of your weekly challenges, but after that, it's on the honor system. I only post what I want when I feel like it unless it's required and I feel much better for it. No need to even list what physical activity I did every day. Either I did 60 minutes worth or not, that's between me and the check-in system. Don't worry about the leaderboard either, just do things for you. 

Something I recently read in an email newsletter from Sean McCabe on the topic of communities is this: 

(copy/pasted)

• A community isn’t a time sink, it’s a time investment.
  • You’ll never have time for a community. You have to make time.
  • When you join a community of people with experience, you save time you would have wasted heading in the wrong direction.
  • You will get out what you put in to a community.
  • Start the conversation that you want to be a part of.
  • A community is a place you invest time and get clarity in return.
  • When you share the things you think only you deal with, you’ll realize someone else feels the way you do.

He's approaching things from a different perspective but many of his points still ring true. Being part of a community takes some time and effort and you ultimately get out what you put in. 

That said, our tastes change, our time gets used up, our interests shift... it happens. The thing I focus on the most is just trying to remember that I'm only in competition with myself. Am I better than the day before? Not always but I try to be.

• pira114 likes this

#14 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:03 AM

I've been following AOM since 2011 or so. Absolutely love it. But I can't find any reason to pay extra to join a "class". Just doesn't make sense to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users